LegacyGT.com

Would you put headers on your lgt?

tommypenguin

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will hold off on headers until next year so that when I put them on I could get a protune and be safe. Not to mention I took a look at my intercooler tabs today and noticed a little bit of flex on them. I will clamp them down a bit but I need to upgrade my intercooler before going headers. Tragic, but at least when I put the headers on I should be able to hit full boost quicker and hold it a lot longer compared to stock with the culmination of both mods;).

The thread got better because people said that they are great? :lol:

I think I would pay for you to admit that they actual help produce power.:lol:

The OP is thinking on the right lines, what trade-offs are there.

I have GP Moto 4-2-1 stainless headers with a black ceramic coating. Nothing melts in the engine bay and surface temps on the headers stay around 300 degrees while internal temps stay over 900. The EL sound is different, but overall they are excellent and they seem to make a lot of usable torque at lower RPM's since I had it tuned and it also doesn't run out of breath so quickly at high RPM's like before.

Here's the graph of 2 05 LGT's. Same dyno. Both cars have catless Invidia DP's, and MR catbacks. One car has a MR header with integrated UP and the other car has an Invidia UP with stock manifolds. As you'll see that headers add plenty of area under the curve:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Pisadong/MRheadersversusstockmanifolds.jpg

I have GP Moto 4-2-1 stainless headers with a black ceramic coating. Nothing melts in the engine bay and surface temps on the headers stay around 300 degrees while internal temps stay over 900. The EL sound is different, but overall they are excellent and they seem to make a lot of usable torque at lower RPM's since I had it tuned and it also doesn't run out of breath so quickly at high RPM's like before.

Thanks McLovin, looks like those are nice headers. I'm actually even consisdering getting the stockers p &ped.

Here's the graph of 2 05 LGT's. Same dyno. Both cars have catless Invidia DP's, and MR catbacks. One car has a MR header with integrated UP and the other car has an Invidia UP with stock manifolds. As you'll see that headers add plenty of area under the curve:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Pisadong/MRheadersversusstockmanifolds.jpg

Thats very interesting it looks like they hurt spool rather than help like everyone says :confused:

Headers don't crack because they get stressed due to lack of movement (flex or slip joints), the crack because you've weakened the steel through heat. Get steel hot enough and it will become brittle. Hence why wrapping headers speeds up their failure rate, you trap heat in which raises the temp of the steel.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Thats very interesting it looks like they hurt spool rather than help like everyone says :confused:

Sure does.

Some say the "velocity stack" UP helps, but I can't see it being that much of a difference.

On my LGT I lost spool with headers, but once I got a tune for the headers I gained it back.

I believe the above chart had the same tune for both.

Are you kidding me? That is seriously grasping at straws to try and defend your position. They hit peak torque basically at the same time and the car with the headers started it's run sampling several hundred RPM's later. For the doubter, IIRC the headers car made it's run after a cool down period with the motor off, so the headers were basically cooled off. If they had been hot (right after a full power run) they might have out spooled the stock manifolds. I don't personally think they help spool, but I do know that they don't hurt.

Archived