LegacyGT.com

Would you put headers on your lgt?

tommypenguin

I think 2005 2.5i was UEL but 2006+ 2.5i was EL, but I might be wrong on this.

Btw, 2.5i is much louder than GT under WOT, but that's the nature of the turbo that muffles sound.

Perhaps Subaru's move to the PZEV version, required ELH on the 2.5i :confused:. I know that nearly every Subaru H4, since forever, has been UEL.

WRT exhaust sound dB levels, that's likely true, but I've not had any driving experience with the 2.5i to validate.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps Subaru's move to the PZEV version, required ELH on the 2.5i :confused:. I know that nearly every Subaru H4, since forever, has been UEL.

WRT exhaust sound dB levels, that's likely true, but I've not had any driving experience with the 2.5i to validate.

My 91 and 92 Legacys were EL, BTW. Didn't have the 2003 long enough to check, but I doubt it was UEL. The ONLY sure UEL Subys are turboed ones, since the exhaust manifolding is far less important in the power equation. But NA engines, of all makes, are normally designed with EL exhausts because it is, simply, the ONLY way to go.

My 91 and 92 Legacys were EL, BTW. Didn't have the 2003 long enough to check, but I doubt it was UEL. The ONLY sure UEL Subys are turboed ones, since the exhaust manifolding is far less important in the power equation. But NA engines, of all makes, are normally designed with EL exhausts because it is, simply, the ONLY way to go.

And my NA 96 OBS 2.2L and 98 LGT(x2) 2.5L and 99 LW 2.2L are all UEL...:confused:

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

And my NA 96 OBS 2.2L and 98 LGT(x2) 2.5L and 99 LW 2.2L are all UEL...:confused:

Makes me wonder when Subaru decided to go UEL. And why. One thing for certain, they hit on a method to make it sound unique, beyond the normal boxer sound that is still present regardless of EL headers.

In those earlier Subys I mentioned the exhaust is certainly more complicated, going from a 4 into 2 into 1 setup before the single pipe exit. The UEL is no doubt cheaper to produce. But there is also no doubt that the UEL "Subaru" sound is unique and intoxicating to some degree, so it is not entirely unlikely that Subaru realized this and capitalized on it.

I have what I consider the best of the EL headers, APS. The sound they make is not Subaru, more exotic sports car-like... until WOT. Then the sound is incredibly vicious, head turning, law breaking nasty. But truth be told, I still have my stockers boxed away, waiting for what people have termed the inevitable APS EL failure. Plans include those in a 'virtual header' setup unless I change my mind. You see, I, too, enjoy the Subaru Rumble :).

But. My debadged GRP LGT, with its obviously lower stance, its dual twin-tipped exhaust, and dinstinctly non-Subaru sound is one of a kind in my neck of the woods. It has a minor reputation that I like. It is not just another Subaru. To tell the truth, it sounds expensive, probably because it is..... now.

To address the OP's topic:

Yes, I'd do it again, and I would chose APS again. But the caveat here is they must be encased in their proprietary heat shielding. It is an expensive PITA, but it works. Even when running it is possible to touch, briefly, the shield. They fit perfectly inside the undercover, which has remained unmarred. They have been on the car for two years now without issue.The sound has to be heard to be appreciated, and is universally respected when it is. Were I forced to install the original UEL system I would feel degraded and common after having it this way, and I would repair my APS asap. It suits me in a wide spectrum of ways. YMMV as always.

2.5i uses ELH - which is what your's has on it stock. GTs and 3.0Rs (I believe - but haven't verified this) use UEL. If you park a 2.5i and a GT next to each other and start and let both idle, while very "quiet" relatively, you'll notice that the GT has a burbling note in its exhaust sound while the 2.5i has a smoother, flatter sound from its exhaust. That's entirely due to the nature of the exhaust manifolds mixing/collecting exhaust pulses.

And my apologies for getting your HP/TQ gain hopes up. I didn't realize that you were referring to a 2.5i.;)

Oh no youre good I just bought this 2.5i two months ago MODDING was never an option to a brand new car :eek: I was just interested in the topic. I know it is useless to mod the exhaust on a non turbo legacy all you will end up with is a Legacy that sounds like honda. In 09 however I will be getting a LGT. but it cant hurt to know all I ought when that day comes and I leave the ranks of the N/A. But i would def like to drive a 3.0R jsut to see how much umph it has

I just bought this 2.5i two months ago MODDING was never an option to a brand new car :eek:

That's funny, I started modding my car with 200 miles on it. :lol:

I was stage 2 by 10,000. :hide:

That's funny, I started modding my car with 200 miles on it. :lol:

I was stage 2 by 10,000. :hide:

Yeah well you must be able to afford to replace a power train component if it ever fails. I dont want to mod the 2.5i for a few reason but mainly b/c it isnt worth it and secondly if I do mod it and it screws up something major I dont want to pay for that after paying 23999 for the car :mad:

Archived