LegacyGT.com

Would you put headers on your lgt?

tommypenguin

I've had my Perrin EL Header on for almost two years - almost 40k miles - and it's doing great. I actually got a look-see at it today at the dealership while a new UP was being installed to replace a crap cracked flex joint on an aftermarket UP. The sound is just fine if you don't mind losing the burble of the boxer. I have AVO Type 2 cans on the car, so, that does a lot for the sound too.

As for the sexiness factor, I don't need the help.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
negative

Subaru boxer with EL header ftw

yah, i agree. i don't want to be divisive, but the EL header sound has nothing to do with riciness, or any other nasty raspy sound. it sounds quite ncie.

the Boxer Burble is great for some folks. but i'm quite partial to my Perrin EL header Purrrrrr-ble. :wub:

i'd never go back to UEL.

yah, i agree. i don't want to be divisive, but the EL header sound has nothing to do with riciness, or any other nasty raspy sound. it sounds quite ncie.

the Boxer Burble is great for some folks. but i'm quite partial to my Perrin EL header Purrrrrr-ble. :wub:

i'd never go back to UEL.

I have EL headers on my car now, and the car sounds just like it did before, only smoother, quieter, and when idling less of a "boxer" rumble.

The "sound" of the car IME comes form the CBE.

EL headers are the best way to ruin the sound of a Suby and make it sound no different than a Honda. IMHO. ^^^ Case in point. I've heard quite a few Hondas sound like that.

So then the only difference between a Honda and a Subaru is a poorly engineered header? Honda FTW!!! :)

^^^ With a turbo upgrade it should sound pretty badass. I have heard a couple Hondas with twin-scroll turbos, and they didn't sound like a Honda either.

Because most Hondas are not turbocharged. Turbo cars sound very different.

I agree that a lot depends on the cans, it's not just the headers.

Yah, I'm well past a quarter century in age and love the low and understated "Grrrrrrrrr" of the AVOs. The EL simply removes the different timing of the exhaust gasses through the pipes from each side of the manifold. The cans lend most of the sound, and I'd guess that each different set of cans amplify the UEL header differently.

]EL headers are the best way to ruin the sound of a Suby and make it sound no different than a Honda.[/b] IMHO. ^^^ Case in point. I've heard quite a few Hondas sound like that.

So you really care that much about a sound that's an unintentional result of a packaging compromise that the JDM models have abandoned? You're welcome to keep the boxer blat and live in yesterday. I'll take my improved airflow and power thanks.

So you really care that much about a sound that's an unintentional result of a packaging compromise that the JDM models have abandoned? You're welcome to keep the boxer blat and live in yesterday. I'll take my improved airflow and power thanks.

Nice. Guess I'm not keeping up on my JDM news. That is a nice bit of info. JDMFTW.

I have Maddad UEL Headers and UP, I love the sound and there are definitely some performance gains up top. I'm happy with them. :)

I have a 2008 ( bought in July of 2008) that I am about to put up for sale to buy a LGT and one friend from college has UEL headers with Catless DP and 3 inch exhaust flowing out of two FM Series 40 Mufflers:eek:. If you can imagine the cabin noise you understand why I woulndt put 40's on a LGT, but boy does it sound SUPER mean outside:eek: and when opened wide up.

I like the boxer rumble and I am selling my 2008 to get a 05-07 LGT I know which UEL i am going with but what is a good Up/DP combo to go along with UELH's?

Oh I also am exploring and exhaust with FM mufflers and possibly 40's if i could cut some cabin noise out of the equation

Yes

As long as you know all the facts and both sides of the debate I cannot hold your opinion against you. However you can't say ELH ruins the sound of the exhaust note, it simply changes it to something that some ppl like a lot, and some ppl dislike a lot. Likewise, i don't like the boxer rumble anymore, but i don't say its *bad* or *ruins* a good car, i just don't like it and i went for a performance upgrade that also happened to get rid of it as a side benefit.

Archived