LegacyGT.com

Would you put headers on your lgt?

tommypenguin

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I actually don't have headers on my car right now, but I will again soon.

As for getting laid, the headers have nothing to do with it. It's my sparkling personality and dashing good looks :p:lol:.

*cough cough*...BS!

I rock Perrin EL Headers and Love them...

I've also Rand P/P/C Oem Headers & Injen Crosspipe, to loud for me...

AND

QTP EL Headers/Up combo...They didnt like my StageII-18G

~Sucka-Duck~

I'm going to give you serious answers to every one of your questions because I've noticed that people's serious threads are constantly getting hijacked on this site and it sucks.

Aside from worrying about cracking headers, which I'm not worried, would those who have done headers do it again?

I have Synic equal length headers and would definitely get them again.

Were you pleased with the way the car sounded?

Aboslutely pleased. Even more pleased than I thought I would be. I wanted to get rid of the typical "boxer" sound and these came through.

I'm well aware of the sound difference between EL and Non-El headers. Did any of you have any issues with the heat from the headers melting anything?

Mine didn't melt anything. As a precaution I did apply heat reflective tape the one part of the undertray (the oil filter door) and a little on the tubing in the front of the engine for the oil.

I'm stage 2 and been debating on picking up a set up MR headers, haven't heard of anyone's cracking that wasn't coated. What risks besides cracking should I consider when putting some uncoated headers on my car?

The biggest risk I can think of is greater underhood temperatures. This is why I got mine coated by Swain Tech (white lightning coating).

Here's the thread I started when I first got them:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48451

Good luck with your search and decision making process.

Retain boxer rumble + performance gains: Go P/P/C + Larger Crossover pipe.

Overall Gains + no need for boxer rumble: Go EL Headers....

Unequal Headers + Up combo (MRs) Great combo for the $$$ & Performance gains...

my $.06 ;)

~Sucka-Duck~

This thread got really good really fast. Thanks for the info. senior peeps! Sounds more ricey to me. One of my favorite things about my car is the boxer sound. My $.02

Most non-EL headers I've heard do add a bit of edginess to the sound of the exhaust. EL headers that are really EL do take away most of the boxer rumble. I like the rumble, but the smoother sound you get from EL headers is appealing in its own way. I would not call it ricey.

SnoDork- I like your simple take on different combos. My plan up to today was to do headers at the same time as UP and DP to save time, energy, and gaskets. That's why I haven't gone stage II yet, I'm saving for all three parts. I was convinced I was going to can the headers and just do UP after reading fweasel's take. Now, however, I'll def go ceramic coated headers AND coated UP (might as well coat both?).

BoostJunkie- I should have mentioned I do still like the sound of it. I can recognize performance by hearing it. Would be better in person though.

What can be done to avoid cracking? Is coating a big part of that? Certain brands?

Almost 100% of header manufacturers will void your warranty if you apply a ceramic coating. I am honoring the warranty on the coated MR headers that I sold, but I've had a couple crack and will not be doing any more coated ones in the future. I've had 0 problems with the uncoated ones.

Of all the headers out there, I would avoid Borlas. I haven't heard of anyone who hasn't had those crack eventually.

cracking is more and issue with build quality...

as far as coating if done properly they will stick forever!...

As far as the MR headers, PM some of the ones from the GB...also i firmly believe a product/goods are only as good as its vendor/rep....

and i know if for any reason you had an issue with the MR's, Boost/Paul wouldnt hesitate to make things right...

my other $.02

~Sucka-Duck~

I think this thread has me sold on buying some MR headers. When I get paid next I will probably be picking up a set of these headers, will I need to get oem gaskets?

You're right about the product being as good as the rep, i've read many of boost junkies/paul's posts and respect him as a member and a vendor. I wouldn't worry about the service I recieve. I wouldn't coat the headers but I would want to use heat wrap especailly around the pipes near the oil filter, shouldn't be any issue with that?

- stock VF40

- prodrive boost solenoid

- MR non-coated headers with integrated uppipe

- invidia catted downpipe

- Borla catback exhaust

- Perrin TMIC

- protuned by Yimi with AP2:)

- 5 speed manual

car is great for any driving situation and could actually be louder - which means sound is just right and super quiet when you want it to be.

If you push the car, watch out for triple digit speed :) Also if you push it hard for a while, you do get some stink in the cabin.

edit: forgot to add that the stock plastic under-tray had to be removed

What other supporting mods do you have? I saw your numbers in your title and had to ask, forgive me for being too lazy to even search on this one.:rolleyes:

I think this thread has me sold on buying some MR headers. When I get paid next I will probably be picking up a set of these headers, will I need to get oem gaskets?

You're right about the product being as good as the rep, i've read many of boost junkies/paul's posts and respect him as a member and a vendor. I wouldn't worry about the service I recieve. I wouldn't coat the headers but I would want to use heat wrap especailly around the pipes near the oil filter, shouldn't be any issue with that?

The MR headers include gaskets, but I do recommend buying new OEM gaskets. They are significantly more durable. You really don't need to wrap the headers at all. There is ample clearance to the oil filter so no worries about cooking it with or without wrap.

I've got MadDad coated headers - they come with a 2 year warranty, I love the product, sounds more aggressive but still got the signature subie sound... I've noticed a little bit of sag around my oil-door, but the performance gains are definitely there and worth that one small downside.

-edit: forgot to add that the stock plastic under-tray had to be removed

I have Maddad headers on my car right now (uncoated but wrapped ). If I had it to do again, I would not wrap them. I picked them up used and figured it wasn't worth the money to get them coated. Wrapping is a PITA and is not nearly as durable, it starts flaking and breaking up pretty quickly.

As far as stink, I made a bracket that pushes the undertray down away from the collector at the closest point. This helped and prevented melting but I still got some stink when I was on it for a while. Next I bought some heat barrier material from Summit and used double sided tape to place it on the tray. This was also an improvement. The last step was to use some heavy aluminum tubing to fabricate a head sheild around the header. No stink at all now.

They help make power, anybody who searches can figure that out. Just depends if you want the trade-offs.

I happen to think that headers help the cylinders run cooler and more even in temp.

If my headers ever die (iON w/ UP coated, 2 years old) I will get the full-race headers that are EL.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

They help make power, anybody who searches can figure that out. Just depends if you want the trade-offs.

I happen to think that headers help the cylinders run cooler and more even in temp.

If my headers ever die (iON w/ UP coated, 2 years old) I will get the full-race headers that are EL.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Right, there's no denying the gains, I've just been measuring whether the potential risks of heat from the header piping w/o heat shield is worth the reward.

Full Race headers are beautiful but its what 1300 for a set of headers, or more? For that I would buy some MR headers and be able to almost afford a deadbolt 18g for the money.

Have you been pleased with the ion headers? I haven't been able to find out, is it safe for me to run the headers w/o a tune for a few months, I wasn't sure if the headers would cause me to run lean or if it would have a negative effect on the ecu untuned? Or should I try and get tuned asap after headers? Thanks for everyones reply, this thread is providing a lot of great info. that I previously was not able to get.

Tommy, as with a lot of aftermarket parts; you should be able to run them for a while without a tune, but you won't get the power out of them and you just can't drive the car hard until you know what effects the header is having on your A/F ratio, boost...
Let's kick this pig!

What are "race" headers?

Archived