LegacyGT.com

~~~Plug and Play HID Install Walkthrough~~~

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question... I am not so sure that i ordered the correct bulbs for my kit.. On the therpmstore.com they have soo many choices of bulbs. Which ones will just screw in properly? My order is on hold until the end of the week. (They are out of ballasts), and in the mean time i just want to make sure i ordered the right ones... :confused:

I ordered the D2S, bulbs...

P.S. Its the Apexcone premium HID kit

Methinks the fogs are H3...I believe D2S is what a lot of OEM HID setups use.

You are totally right^

Im such a noob :redface:

I always forget what a strong search feature this website has, of course like the first pop up was a whole thread about what headlights the car uses. Thanks for all the help!!!

Now i just need to wait for them to come in!, i guess there is a pretty big back log of HID kits. They dont know when mine will get shipped. :icon_cry:

One more question is.... The hole that you drilled in the dust cover... Did that black gromet or what ever you call it come with the kit to cover the new hole? Or did you have to buy that seperate?

Yeah, some folks are quick to criticize for not searching...but a lot of the time it's just as easy to type out a quick answer...

To answer your question, the black piece covers the hole. You might be fine with just that, but it's a good idea to throw some silicone sealant in there, too :)

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Now i just need to wait for them to come in!, i guess there is a pretty big back log of HID kits. They dont know when mine will get shipped. :icon_cry:

Sigh, me too. I didn't think the backorder was that bad, I wish I ordered from RPM tuning instead, I think they have them in stock, but i ordered them from xenon expert and I haven't heard about them, and I paypal'd the money last week. No emails, nothing. I hope I know what's going on soon. :soap_box: I want to install these so bad, its starting to get dark sooner which means most of my driving will be with the light on for the next 6-8 months.

...and yes, it comes with the grommet. A little extra silicon is a good idea if you have it; just to be safe. You can also find your way through the factory grommet on the bottom of the headlight, but that's a lot more difficult.

Edit: I ordered mine from RPM as well, and they came quickly.

^^ Thanks, i think i would rather just drill a hole... I acctually think it looks cool with the wires sticking out. Besides with a 2.5i there isnt much to look at under the hood, so now ill at least have a conversation other than, "Why didnt you just a turbo"? LOL.

RPM said that they should be able to get the lights out to me early this week, Man i hope so. I have been talking to Donny over there quite a bit. Nice guy.

hey, kagenmateer, did you disconnect your battery when you put these in? Also, is that all the wiring you have to do is just plug the pink into the red connector and black into black? I don't have to run any separate battery lines for the ballasts or anything? I think I can handle putting these in, but on top of just being a noob, I can't do anything electrical (soldering, wire-stripping, nothing). If you disconnected it, did you just disconnect the positive (red) side?

Me being a pansy, i'm expecting there to be a lot more crap to do then you said in your walkthrough. Your walk-through makes it seem like putting these in would only take like an hour or so...

oh, and if you need to use more than just tape to hold these onto the car, where did you zip-tie them to to keep them from knocking around all over the place? I don't even know where i'll put the passenger side ballast, i have that retarded snorkel in the way, i might just put it underneath the snorkel, but then i won't have any bling under the hood.:lol:

You disconnect the negative cable, the black one. Use a (I think) 8mm socket or wrench to loosen the bolt, and slide the contact off the battery. The only "wiring" I did was, as you say, pink to pink, black to black.

As far as ballast placement on the passenger side, I used the nice slab of metal that's beneath the headlight/airbox, underneath the snorkus. Sure, it hides the bling, but I think of it as being "protected" :lol:

As an aside, I finally got around to aligning my headlights today - I just couldn't find the time or place to do it before. Definitely worth the ten minutes it took me - my passenger side headlight was waaaay too high, and was not only blinding other drivers, but distracting to me. Now it's much, much better, and I don't have to avoid driving around at night anymore...

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Thanks spoonwacker. Yes, Double M, it's that easy. I ended up using one ziptie to hold the driver side ballast in place when the sticky wouldn't hold it. I tucked all the wires into convenient places. Also, the instructions say disconnect the positive battery terminal, so that's what I did. With the positive connected and negative disconnected, it is still possible for a circuit in the car to catch ground (but very unlikely). Note: I re-connected the battery to test the passenger side, and didn't bother disconnecting it again for the driver side after seeing what little wiring was involved. If you don't disconnect the battery (it really isn't necessary), just make sure you dont turn on the hl switch while the metal spades are exposed. Oh, if you do disconnect the battery, I think it's a 10mm.

Archived