LegacyGT.com

'05 stutters. '06 stutters. '07 stutters ....

I got my certified letter confirmation reciept in the mail Tuesday the 30th, they recieved the letter on Friday October 26th. The last time it only took a day to get a response afther the reciept, maybe I will get one today? Unless they are actually looking into the problem a little more....

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didnt see your reply. Anyway, how successful would a class action lawsuit be? I dont think it would amount to much to be honest.

I don't think much either. No one has gotten killed by said issue, and while it is HIGHLY annoying (I'm in that group) and can be a safety hazard (I'm also in that group of people where the car has had less than desireable oomph when needed), I don't think a whole lot will amount from a class action.

This is America....someone will try to give it a shot, I'm sure....everything else has their day in court, why not this. :rolleyes:

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I think I may have felt a bit of this during my test drive on an '05 with ~46k miles yesterday, but passed it off as just not giving it enough gas, or the newly installed clutch or something. I think I was fairly low in the RPMs too, a bit more aggression and it went away. Maybe i'll have to go for a longer test drive in another used car. I didnt' read every post in here, but is this reflash on the '08s a sure fix? I'm seriously considering getting one in the not-too-distant future.

I think I may have felt a bit of this during my test drive on an '05 with ~46k miles yesterday, but passed it off as just not giving it enough gas, or the newly installed clutch or something. I think I was fairly low in the RPMs too, a bit more aggression and it went away. Maybe i'll have to go for a longer test drive in another used car. I didnt' read every post in here, but is this reflash on the '08s a sure fix? I'm seriously considering getting one in the not-too-distant future.
If you are considering buying on 08 why do they have you test driving an 05, a LOT has changed since then.

The reflash is not a sure thing for any model year, it generally happens at WOT and off the clutch, so neither throttle position (except wot) or new/used clutch would be a factor.

If you are considering buying on 08 why do they have you test driving an 05, a LOT has changed since then.

The reflash is not a sure thing for any model year, it generally happens at WOT and off the clutch, so neither throttle position (except wot) or new/used clutch would be a factor.

Yeah I'm learning all that now. It almost felt like I was learning to drive a stick all over again, the car was almost bucking. I clutched, gunned, and it was fine for the rest of the test drive. I'm new to Subaru's (don't even own one, "yet") I wasn't aware of the stutter issue when I test drove, I had no idea what to expect of or from the car. Kinda a good thing I drove the '05 though, since it was a car with some mileage on it and already had the stutter. This clutch was VERY stiff, and engaged about 1/2" off the floor. Obviously not original. Also, they only had 2 GT's there. The '05 and a buried '08. I didn't think there was that much of a difference in the years. Apparently, the sales guy didn't think there was either, or he just wanted to sell me the used car. Pshhh, sales people.... :p

don't feel bad about the learning of it, I too had an issue with a 05 wagon I was driving it was not a turbo but out of the things I felt I had a little hard time getting it in reverse and I stalled it twice both at stop lights, never felt any feedback from the clutch.

But never stalled it once in 20 Min of stop and go traffic....

I'm not really all too concerned with the stutter issue. I mean to say it isn't enough to dissuade me from buying a LGT yet. Once I left the dealers lot, I quickly started driving with my usual style and didnt' feel it anymore. Too spirited? 'The hell' I say! I havn't stalled a car in 13 years of driving stick. Shit, almost 14 now. Damn I'm feeling old... :(

I test drove an 08 Spec B this afternoon and I *think* I experienced two types of the stuttering phenomenom. Even though it was about a 15 minute test drive, I'd still want a lot more time experimenting with the car before making any conclusion on it.

First, I experienced one moment of a major hesitation at low speed in 2nd gear going WOT starting around 2500rpm. It wasn't turbo lag, it was a mild bucking type sensation that I was not expecting.

The second type: a more subtle but rapid, oscillating, surging feeling under WOT in 2nd thru 4th gears from 3,000rpm to redline. It wasn't smooth at all, and to me, it was somewhat distracting during what should have been the exhilarating moments of the LGT at full boil. I drove an FXT immediately afterwards and the difference in smoothness was fairly stark. The SpecB tester was relatively low on gas, and I wonder if this oscillation might be caused if the car was filled with regular 87 octane gas?

I'm going to test drive another Spec B later this week. Everything else about the car is so fantastic.

Yeah I'm learning all that now. It almost felt like I was learning to drive a stick all over again, the car was almost bucking. I clutched, gunned, and it was fine for the rest of the test drive. I'm new to Subaru's (don't even own one, "yet") I wasn't aware of the stutter issue when I test drove, I had no idea what to expect of or from the car. Kinda a good thing I drove the '05 though, since it was a car with some mileage on it and already had the stutter. This clutch was VERY stiff, and engaged about 1/2" off the floor. Obviously not original. Also, they only had 2 GT's there. The '05 and a buried '08. I didn't think there was that much of a difference in the years. Apparently, the sales guy didn't think there was either, or he just wanted to sell me the used car. Pshhh, sales people.... :p

Well specs haven't really changed (just new sae hp ratings), and most of the differences are convenience features (and styling for 08). However ,there are differences however in the turbo, up-pipe, ecu and si-drive at least. Plus if you are wanting a MT then a stock clutch is very soft and easy to drive. If the 05 makes you happy, the 08 is even better. If you are having second thoughts about the 05, demand at least to test drive the 08. If they want to make a sale, getting a car out of the back of the lot is not a big hassle, but they may have incentives (to the salesperson) to push used cars. Your dealer must be very small if the only MT GT's they have are a single 05 and 08.

I test drove an 08 Spec B this afternoon and I *think* I experienced two types of the stuttering phenomenom. Even though it was about a 15 minute test drive, I'd still want a lot more time experimenting with the car before making any conclusion on it.

First, I experienced one moment of a major hesitation at low speed in 2nd gear going WOT starting around 2500rpm. It wasn't turbo lag, it was a mild bucking type sensation that I was not expecting.

The second type: a more subtle but rapid, oscillating, surging feeling under WOT in 2nd thru 4th gears from 3,000rpm to redline. It wasn't smooth at all, and to me, it was somewhat distracting during what should have been the exhilarating moments of the LGT at full boil. I drove an FXT immediately afterwards and the difference in smoothness was fairly stark. The SpecB tester was relatively low on gas, and I wonder if this oscillation might be caused if the car was filled with regular 87 octane gas?

I'm going to test drive another Spec B later this week. Everything else about the car is so fantastic.

If they used 87 octane, it could definitely caused some bucking, but the car would also pull timing in addition to some pinging. If the car has ever had 87 in it (or even a bad batch of premium) the car will not change maps again until the ecu has been reset which would also eliminate the stutter for a short time. The symptoms you are describing do sound like the normal stutter and you might as the dealer if they are aware of the flash, and even to do it prior to test driving the car. If they do not know of the stutter and are not willing to flash the car pre-sale, find another dealer because you are only going to have further issues with them down the line. It is not uncommon for dealers to use low grade fuel while the cars are on the lots, gas is expensive. I normally order my cars rather than taking a car that has sat on the lot, mainly because I don't want a new car with swirls all over it, and I will gas and detail the car myself when it comes off the truck, but I never leave the dealer in a new car without asking them if the vehicle has EVER had non-premium gasoline. They ofcourse being sales people will say no, but atleast I have my ass covered later if I find out otherwise.

Had the car at the dealer yesterday for regular service and asked them to look into an updated ecm program to address the stutter. The tech said he felt it and flashed the ecm and now it is running just fine. Hope it stays that way.

I had the stutter real bad in my '08 LGT. Took it to the dealer, they knew about the reflash. They reflashed it and the stutter is still gone, BUT it has lost a noticeable amount of power. It doesn't really pull in the High RPM range like it used to, I'd almost take the stutter back to get my power back.

-Sephon

Archived