LegacyGT.com

'05 stutters. '06 stutters. '07 stutters ....

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1

mine is stutter free, but I rode in out that was really bad

it is real problem, but perhaps not as widespread as some think

• 1 month later...
Rudemood and Throttlejockey count yourself lucky and cross your fingers. I have 10,000kms on my '08 Spec B and had about 9,500 kms with no issues, now I experience it in both S and S# mode just north of 4,000 rpms. I just about cried the first time it happened!

None here either!

Mine is the exact opposite. I have damn near whiplash as well when I get it. Its horrible. I try and pass someone and then the car dips, then picks back up again. I have been holding on getting my AP since this has turned me off severly with Subaru.

Mine is the exact opposite. I have damn near whiplash as well when I get it. Its horrible. I try and pass someone and then the car dips, then picks back up again. I have been holding on getting my AP since this has turned me off severly with Subaru.

x2 - it's embarassing. I get it in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th and i too have had passengers ask me what's wrong with my car. If you have it bad, it is a very big deal - anyone who says otherwise hasn't experienced it.

I'm thinking the hesitation has something to do with that drive-by-wire under accelerator pedal..

why do you think that? does the 3.0 h6 have stutter? does it use the same drive-by-wire system? does the 3.6 h6 have stutter? does it use the same drive-by-wire system? does the 2.5i have stutter? does it use the same drive-by-wire system?

crosslink here

No manual either. I drove both an auto LGT and a 3.0. I compared passing power from 60mph with a downshift to 4th on both cars and the LGT pulled much better. But I'm sticking with a manual since I can't afford a G35Xs.

why do you think that? does the 3.0 h6 have stutter? does it use the same drive-by-wire system? does the 3.6 h6 have stutter? does it use the same drive-by-wire system? does the 2.5i have stutter? does it use the same drive-by-wire system?

crosslink here

At this point I'm just trying to figure out what others have tried so I can narrow this down.. I'm not convinced its the drive by wire. I'm thinking crappy ground could cause some of these symptoms. What to you think?

From some of the descriptions, I'm wondering if it's a faulty sensor (or sensor wiring harness) that's causing the ECU to go into a self-defense mode. For example, if you overboost, it'll cut fuel until boost goes down. Datalogging would be able to confirm or disprove that theory.

From some of the descriptions, I'm wondering if it's a faulty sensor (or sensor wiring harness) that's causing the ECU to go into a self-defense mode. For example, if you overboost, it'll cut fuel until boost goes down. Datalogging would be able to confirm or disprove that theory.

Its a possible solution, but that should be easily fixable by the oem. I'm willing to bet my car they've looked into that already.

I'd like to see what the A/F ratio looks like when this happens. Maybe running to rich at that load/boost point and it soak'n the plugs? Then takes that amount of time to clean up. It acts that way. I doubt its to lean though.

It could be so many things. Hmmmmm.

I'm not really sure of all the lingo but I remember someone saying it was the transition of Closed Loop Boost Control to Open Loop Boost Control or vice versa. That's why it only happens on turboed cars.

I'm not really sure of all the lingo but I remember someone saying it was the transition of Closed Loop Boost Control to Open Loop Boost Control or vice versa. That's why it only happens on turboed cars.

aha, so its not unique to subie's only, but you're saying it only affects turbocharged vehicles. and arizona, you posted in the other thread that you're aware of hesitation/stutter affecting your buddy's wrx, so it affects other turbo models within subaru (wrx's are assembled in japan, are they not?).

BlkRex, can you remember any lingo about why the transition may be affected by temperature/humidity changes? does this come back to what arizona said about voltage?

aha, so its not unique to subie's only, but you're saying it only affects turbocharged vehicles. and arizona, you posted in the other thread that you're aware of hesitation/stutter affecting your buddy's wrx, so it affects other turbo models within subaru (wrx's are assembled in japan, are they not?).

BlkRex, can you remember any lingo about why the transition may be affected by temperature/humidity changes? does this come back to what arizona said about voltage?[/quote

I know from my own experience that humidity/temps affect voltage. My MoTec on the Rotary would need to be tweeked when the sun came from behind a cloud, and had to tweak things everyday as the display would show varying voltage numbers and the car would run extremely different.

After reading the manual a bit that "SI-drive" captured my attention. Its like a dual stage boost control only 3 settings, correct? This could be the flaw or the issue. I Couldn't get ahold of my friend to ask , but does this hesitation happen in the "intelliegent" boost setting, how bout "sport"? I know it happend in the "sport sharp". Just trying to pin point things and narrow it down.

I bought an 08 Limited N/A car and haven't experienced anything.. which leads me to believe its boost-A/F related. Its sad that we as consumers have to spend time trying to figure someone else's creation. My buddy told me about this issue when he first bought the car and thought, "ya, its just a intake leak or something", only find out its much more than that... I don't know!

07 STIs maybe don't stutter, but instead have engine-killing ECU calibration stock. Check nasioc. There are MANY MANY dead 07 STIs, lightly modded and stock alike.

BlkRex, can you remember any lingo about why the transition may be affected by temperature/humidity changes? does this come back to what arizona said about voltage?

Anything that effects boost, timing, fuel, etc. will effect it.

After reading the manual a bit that "SI-drive" captured my attention. Its like a dual stage boost control only 3 settings, correct? This could be the flaw or the issue. I Couldn't get ahold of my friend to ask , but does this hesitation happen in the "intelliegent" boost setting, how bout "sport"? I know it happend in the "sport sharp". Just trying to pin point things and narrow it down.

SI-Drive ONLY controls throttle position and as a side effect, controls boost that way. It's not a boost controller in the traditional sense.

Anything that effects boost, timing, fuel, etc. will effect it.

SI-Drive ONLY controls throttle position and as a side effect, controls boost that way. It's not a boost controller in the traditional sense.

Okay, and that makes more sense to me. The oem info isn't very clear and just states the 3 different selections not talking about how it works. I'm learning as I go here. thanks ^^

• 10 months later...
I know this thread has been dead for a while, but Im really starting to have this problem pretty seriously. 06 2.5i MT. If I ever have to pull out of somewhere quick, my car pretty much shuts down. I can have the pedal to the floor and it barely wants to move. I might as well be starting in 4th from a stop. Any fix for this yet?

I've had 2 2005 Legacy

GT's and the only stutter I ever noticed was right at it's

primary spool-up range around 2800 RPM's if you were

feathering the throttle. It only hesitates a little at that

particular RPM.

+1

I just realized that in the winter I have no stutter

(temperature below 32F). I've driven my car through

5 winters.

Archived