LegacyGT.com

'05 stutters. '06 stutters. '07 stutters ....

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tactrix cable: $80something

Enginuity: $FREE

Understanding Stutter: $PRICELESS

Seriously. Why aren't these threads overflowing with datalogs?

I uploaded a log that the dealer gave me. They blame the "kick in the ass after the stutter" the torque converter going into full lock up. I call it BS is what I call it. I asked about the manual transmission guys and the dealer didnt even want to get into it.

And I dont want to be mean to anybody or leave anyone out. but I would honestly FORGET about 05 LGT's. 05 was the new redesign with many problems and it was really the first release of a brand new car.

Hope you have your flame suit on! :cool:

Because the '07 stutter is more severe.

I drove an '06 when I was in the market for a leggy. The stutter was noticeable, but not dangerous. Then, I bought my '07. By the second week of ownership, the stutter had appeared. The car will fall flat on it's face at WOT. I think twice about merging on the highway it is so bad.

My '05 falls on its face on nearly every shift. It also stutters it's way up to speed when accelerating in-gear. Actually, you don't even have to be accelerating.

Try this: get out on the open road at around 60mph in 5th and slowly roll onto the throttle. What happens? Mine doesn't pick up speed smoothly at all - it's like there are little random hiccups in the power delivery all the way from 2500 to 4000 rpm and throttle opening makes little difference - light, medium, WOT - still does it.

Now find a moderate hill on the highway. Approach it in 5th at 60mph again, but this time just keep a steady speed. Again, what happens? Mine stutters and hiccups its way up the hill.

This is very frustrating to me. I've never owned a car that displayed such poor driveability and lack of smoothness. It's really souring the ownership experience on what should be a spectacular car.

Ok, I just flew out to NJ and drove 11 hours back to MI with my new (to me) 05 LGT. What exactly is this studder you guys speak of? Well, I think I might know, but tell me if I'm right.

-Sometimes during acceleration, its like the motor bogs for a split second and picks back up. Almost like it cuts out for that split second.

And

-When shifting into 2nd while accelerating hard, the car has a big hesitation before acceleration resumes in 2nd gear.

Is this what you guys are referring to, 1 or both of what I just described? And am I correct in thinking that a good tune is really all that is needed to fix this?

Ok, I just flew out to NJ and drove 11 hours back to MI with my new (to me) 05 LGT. What exactly is this studder you guys speak of? Well, I think I might know, but tell me if I'm right.

-Sometimes during acceleration, its like the motor bogs for a split second and picks back up. Almost like it cuts out for that split second.

Yes - see my post above - stuttering, hiccuping, etc.

-When shifting into 2nd while accelerating hard, the car has a big hesitation before acceleration resumes in 2nd gear.

Is this what you guys are referring to, 1 or both of what I just described? And am I correct in thinking that a good tune is really all that is needed to fix this?

Yes - the car "falls on its face" after a shift. Mine does it going into second, third, and to a lesser extent fourth. Something similar also happens when rolling on and off the throttle.

Subaru needs to step up and fix this. I shouldn't have to go to an aftermarket tuner, spend a grand, and void my warranty, just so the car drives like it should.

Yes - see my post above - stuttering, hiccuping, etc.

Yes - the car "falls on its face" after a shift. Mine does it going into second, third, and to a lesser extent fourth. Something similar also happens when rolling on and off the throttle.

Subaru needs to step up and fix this. I shouldn't have to go to an aftermarket tuner, spend a grand, and void my warranty, just so the car drives like it should.

Yea, I hear ya.. While these things don't make me happy, I AM happy to learn that its not just my car doing it. I was thinking there was really something wrong at first.

My stock 05 MT had very minor hesitation that I thought could be what eveyone refers to as stutter. But now at 48k miles, after having the turbo replaced after it went bad, I now know I have "Power delivery is not smooth and consistant." aka stutter. From 2500 all the way to 4000. It lurches a little, and then when it hits 4000, it takes off and smoothly accellerates up to redline. I did get one of the 07 style turbos when they replaced it, so maybe that is were the problem lies (and why 05s dont have it as much). It could also be due to slight differences in the casting in the wastegate or something, causing some to not feel it and others complain alot about it.

Either way it sucks, and after having a car I liked so much for 50k miles, now I dont like it nearly as much. It doesnt have the UMPH when boost kicks in any more, just stutters its way up the RPM range.

Now I have to decide, do I put on the Crucial UP/DP and Cobb tuner that I already have, or do I just sell it now, not having to worry about reverting back to stock when it comes time to sell...

Damn "Power delivery is not smooth and consistant."

No, but I can see how it looks like it. I always thought I had stutter, but what I had was minor compared to what stutter really was (and what I have now), and I thought your description was a much better way of saying what I felt.

I used to have one little stutter at one RPM point. Now it surges from 2500 to 4000. Now thats "Power delivery is not smooth and consistant." :)

I suspect the stutter is related to the e-throttle. My Legacy has been getting worse and worse. It's not the same car I bought. I've noticed that along with the stutter, my car has a throttle lag. It seems the two issues are getting worse at the same rate. If I blip the throttle in neutral, there is a long (about a full second) lag before the engine responds. This makes for very awkward shifting (and stuttering). When I bought the car, I loved how it was easy to heel and toe downshift. I haven't been able to do that with this car anymore, the throttle response is just too unpredicable. I look like someone who had never driven a stick before. The car also feels doggy from a stop. I have to give it a lot more gas then I should, and it seems like I'm always bogging the car. It really takes the fun out of the car. When it was new, first gear was a blast, and the car would easily accelerate harder then planned if I wasn't careful. The best way I could describe it is that the car feels "heavier" then it did before.

And then there was today. I took the car in for a sunroof repair. I didn't mention the stuttering again because they were useless the last time I complained, and my main concern was getting the sunroof fixed. So I was in for a big suprise when I left the dealership. Whoa! My car is back! It literaly felt like it lost 500lbs while it was in the shop. It was smooth and responsive. I could heal and toe again! I blipped the throttle at the first stop light, and the tach actually moved! The difference was night and day. But they just fixed the sunroof? Maybe the reflashed the ECU? No... look, the radio stations are all reset, they disconnected the battery to work on the sunroof. That must have also reset the ECU.

I was thinking of resetting the ECU before, but never got around to it. My car had 38,000 miles on it, and it's the first time the battery was disconnected. I wish I tried it earlier. But at least this way I wasn't expecting anything, and was shocked how noticeable the difference was. I was beginning to think that I must have been a zombie when I bought the car without noticing the aweful driveability. Or I was thinking that maybe my Miata just spoiled me and my expectations were unrealistic. Well, I wasn't a Zombie, and I am realistic, Subaru's "learning" ECU programing just sucks. I wonder how often I'll have to disconnect my battery.

Those of you with the stutter problem, blip your throttle in neutral and record how long it takes the engine to respond. Now those of you without the problem do the same. I bet there is a measureable difference.

So if each year stutters, why the hell do all these '07 guys think Subaru is going to fix the stutter they haven't been able to fix for the last three years???

The '05 and '06 reflash never got rid of the stutter. It was only a temporary fix that reduced it.

:spin:

they did fix it.

it's called a 3.0r

Okay, I've read enough so that I'm either getting a 3.0 Legacy Sedan or LL Bean Outback wagon, or even keep my 04 Forester XT, but there's no way I'm even going to risk getting involved in this sheep dip.

Thanks for the posts folks, I appreciate the information.

Okay, I've read enough so that I'm either getting a 3.0 Legacy Sedan or LL Bean Outback wagon, or even keep my 04 Forester XT, but there's no way I'm even going to risk getting involved in this sheep dip.

Thanks for the posts folks, I appreciate the information.

Did you consider the possibility of taking the car for a test drive to see if it stutters?

My 07 pulls like a mofo in all gears without a hint of stutter.

Coming from an engine that even with the slushbox performs perfectly from idle to redline w/o ever hiccuping, its not worth it for me to even run the risk.

Nor am I going to resign myself to buying a car that may need a warranty busting protune or reflash, at my expense, just to get it to run right. Granted the statistics favor I'll not see much of a problem, **maybe** , but it doesn't seem like Subaru's knocking themselves out to fix it for those that have it.

I don't have any plans on modding the car, nor putting an accessport or other device on it. I want something I can get in and drive. And for 30k I should be able to find it.

For those of you that are happy with your cars, enjoy them. There's no better feeling than a good driving machine.

And for anyone wondering why I'm trading my FXT, well I'm beginning to wonder as well. :lol:

Does anyone have any more test to see if I have this problem, I have less than 3000 miles on my 08 GT but. I tried the 60mph top gear test and it seems to be fine, its top gear so power was smooth as I applied the gas. Anyway if there are any other easily repeatable test I can do to see if I have the problem. One thing I love about the new 08 is the v2 5eat is very smooth.

At first I wasn't quite sure what the stutter you all talking about.

Then after some clarification, I realize the problem.

I have a 2007 2.5i SE auto, I experience the same thing.

This stutter you all talking about is like the engine is playing catch when you stomp on the pedal.

It scared the crap out of me on the merging of high a couple of time because I stomp on it and takes few second to really pick and go.

I hated when you try to merge to another lane and cars come flying up, barely giving you enough time to cross over.

I try to feather the pedal so this stutter isn't so noticeable but can't help it some time when i need to cross into a faster lane and it bogs down.

Archived