LegacyGT.com

Subaru, Toyota will build small sports car

Legacy BoB

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every report has been saying it will be built alongside Impreza in JAPAN, not in the US.

Every report has been saying it will be built alongside Impreza in JAPAN, not in the US.

:p:D:lol:

I think Subaru will be doing a disservice to themselves, and we, their enthusiasts, if they go RWD on this car. But Toyota SHOULD be RWD. There will be buyers for both. I think Subaru enthusiasts will be dissappointed without AWD, though, and Subaru will be an also-ran. I have to agree with Subaru management calling a flag on the play, if Subaru high-ups are suggesting diluting the brand with RWD right along side Toyota's variant.

It will be a Subaru chassis. It should be fully capable of being AWD.

I have been duke-ing it out on that thread on Autoblog. Check it out, it might be a good read. You'll recognize my comments, and my avatar.

Especially where one guy on page 4 calls subaru buyers commies. Sometimes tearing into comments like that is just fun.

I don't really like the idea of EJ20 with AWD for Subaru and RWD for Toyota either. The Subaru version will ended up been slower and heavier than the Toyota. It would be better if the 200-300 lbs heavier Subaru version comes with 190 hp EJ25 and AWD, while the Toyota is 175 hp EJ20 with RWD. This way the performance should be similar but there are more to differentiate between the 2 cars.

The thing is, that the entire US lineup has been moved over to the 2.5

I can see Subaru having a more powerful tune, though. Toyota will probably go for fuel efficiency on the base model, anyway. a 170hp tune for the Ej25 and a 180-200hp variant for Subaru, through dual AVCS, or something... Direct injection would be fantastic, turbo and non-turbo.

And then a 250hp turbocharged Subaru variant, and a ~300+ hp STI low-production halo model...

it is unclear whether Toyota will actually do a GT-Four model, with a turbo and AWD... but as a halo model for them, I doubt it, or an STI model would sell in enough volume to really make a difference if they are sold at the same time. Toyota fans will buy the RWD or GT-Four, and Subie dudes will buy the WRX-grade and STI models.

It probably won't be a huge volume deal against Mustang, 350Z, Genesis, or Solstice targa, etc...

They all just kinda hover around as enthusiast models. The base models are where the margins are made, like any other car, including the Legacy, Impreza, Corolla, and Camry.

A High-economy tune on a RWD Toyota coupe could be a move by toyota to go from the tC, toward a more efficient alternative to the Genesis coupe.

A higher performance, AWD Subaru would be to give Subaru enthusiasts something to buy besides an ugly 5-door, or a US-only boring 4-door impreza. (I still think the 4-door should go away, and divert resources and market segment to the coupe, and let Legacy 2.5i and GT handle the 4-door duties for Subaru.)

The thing is, that the entire US lineup has been moved over to the 2.5

I think the EJ20 is going to be needed to meet or get close to Toyota RWD's 2200 lbs goal. There is no reason why Subaru couldn't go with the EJ25 with AWD for their version though. Parts and warranty work for the Toyota RWD would have to be done by a Toyota dealer anyway, so they are the ones that have to stock the parts for it. EJ25 for the Subaru AWD means that the Subaru dealers wouldn't have to deal with EJ20 parts. I think that scenario would work out better for SOA.

Weren't you just saying that the Corolla was less than 3000lbs?

Why would a stripped down 2 or 3 door car not weigh a bit less?

I am skeptical about 2200lbs myself. Auto makers never hit their weight goals. But 24-2800lbs is pretty respectable in the current market. and that will be the stripped out model.

After seeing the interior of the MR2 Spyder, I can see how Toyota can build light cars. That isn't a full complement, btw.

I don't think they can hit 2200 lbs either. They will do well if they can hit 2500 lbs. The 7th gen Celica was 2500 lbs and this car should be about the same size as the Celica. RWD and new safety equipments are going to add some weight but I think 2500 lbs should be reasonable.

I don't understand why Toyota is even bothering to do this? Don't they still offer the MR2? (Small mid engine coupe rwd) Don't they still have designers and engineers that developed the old celica/supra/mr2s or were they they fired in favor of more practicality and fuel economy? They also have a partnership with Lotus (using Toyota engines) in the Elise last I heard, wouldn't they be better at designing this car for Toyota?

I think this joint venture is not really about the car but more about securing a hold on Subaru in preparation for a hostile takeover.

I don't understand why Toyota is even bothering to do this? Don't they still offer the MR2? (Small mid engine coupe rwd)

Nope, the MR2 has been dead for 3-4 years, the last MR2 was MY05.

Don't they still have designers and engineers that developed the old celica/supra/mr2s or were they they fired in favor of more practicality and fuel economy?

They also have a partnership with Lotus (using Toyota engines) in the Elise last I heard, wouldn't they be better at designing this car for Toyota?

Toyota doesn't currently have a cheap/lightweight RWD capable platform, all their RWD platform are for Lexus or trucks. The easiest/fastest/cheapest way to get one is to buy one from another maker, ie Subaru or as you implied from Lotus. The problem with Lotus is that the Elise chassis is aluminum and would be too expensive.

I think this joint venture is not really about the car but more about securing a hold on Subaru in preparation for a hostile takeover.

IMHO, it is about the car and maybe laying the ground work for takeover as well.

Archived