LegacyGT.com

Subaru, Toyota will build small sports car

Legacy BoB

Similar to what some others of us here want in a coupe collaboration.

Not sure about the two separate manual transmissions. with six ratios, it should be able to do both, by having smaller gear intervals lower gears optimized for performance, 5th gear straight, or .9:1, and 6th being a healthy over-drive for mileage, like say .7, or .65:1, rather than just a gratuitous extra shift. Going too far, like .5x:1 would probably be too much mechanical disadvantage for a small engine off boost.

But here is how a lot of us seem to want to see it broken down. All EJ25x series engines.

non turbo RWD - Toyota base model

non turbo AWD - Subaru base model

non turbo RWD premium - Toyota premium (like old Celica GT-S, maybe turbo, but Toyota seems to like their corporate mileage average too much)

turbocharged AWD premium - Subaru premium (WRX/LGT equivalent coupe)

Turbocharged AWD Toyota halo: GT-Four

Turbocharged AWD Subaru halo: STI

The subaru and toyota cars based on the same platform, but looking different than each other.

the non halo cars would probably be automatic or manual, the halo cars probably 6-speed only. Maybe there would be a turbocharged RWD model thrown in there somewhere under the toyota nameplate. All of the Subarus would be AWD, but only some turbocharged.

At least that is what we hope.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More info from Inside Line.

Subaru version will be RWD and will be sold worldwide. While the Toyota version will be sold in Japan only. NA 2.0L boxer making 220 hp :eek: @ 6500 rpm, 6MT from STI, 2866 lbs, 2+2 and priced under $20k. Sounds like a winner to me, but don't know how Subaru is going to fit this RWD into their AWD marketing...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=126521#2

More fancy rendering, take it for what it's worth.

What's with all the wacky headlights lately? It most be the new trend with the Japanese makers.

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/il/news/2008/0527/subarufr.500.jpg

This rendering is hawt! I'd rock it. Direct comparo/competition with the Hyundai coupe however - guess that's good long-term. I won't buy it with a 2.0t though. 2.5t and I'm in.
________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

This rendering is hawt! I'd rock it. Direct comparo/competition with the Hyundai coupe however - guess that's good long-term. I won't buy it with a 2.0t though. 2.5t and I'm in.

It's 2.0 NA, not a turbo. That's why I was surprised that they got 220 hp out of it.

Wouldn't bringing the 2.0L turbo back to the US be kind of a step in the wrong direction?

2.0L turbo or not will be lighter and more fuel efficient. It's in fact going the right direction for CAFE.

2.0L turbo or not will be lighter and more fuel efficient. It's in fact going the right direction for CAFE.

I dunno bout that. The fuel economy #s stayed the same when WRX was upgraded to the 2.5L.

I'm not sure if I buy all of this.

1. I honestly don't see SOA releasing a RWD vehicle. And if they did I would then expect to see FWD Imprezas and Legacies.

2. Toyota fans are going nuts over this vehicle being the new Celica. I don't see them depriving fans of it, even if the FT-HS is coming.

I dunno bout that. The fuel economy #s stayed the same when WRX was upgraded to the 2.5L.

Good point, but EJ20 is certainly lighter than the EJ25 so that can't hurt the fuel economy.

I'm not sure if I buy all of this.

1. I honestly don't see SOA releasing a RWD vehicle. And if they did I would then expect to see FWD Imprezas and Legacies.

I suppose SOA could chose not to bring this coupe into the USDM, but I think that's highly unlikely. I don't recall any of the info so far mentioning anything but RWD for the entry level car. AWD is only mentioned as a possibility for the high output turbo version. There have been a lot of info regarding this car lately. If there is AWD Subaru version in the works I would expect a source to mention it somewhere. It's looking more and more like RWD only at first. Subaru might be trying to pave the road for FWD cars because of CAFE.

2. Toyota fans are going nuts over this vehicle being the new Celica. I don't see them depriving fans of it, even if the FT-HS is coming.

Yeah, I'm really surprised by this tip bit too. FT-HS is suppose to be a Supra replacement while this car is a Celica class car. I suppose it's possible the Toyota version will be Japan only for the first couple years, as a concession to Subaru for using mostly their parts/technology. After couple years Toyota will then bring it worldwide when they introduce it along with the GT4 version...

Some the info is rather specific, especially the weight, which makes me think they have a pretty concrete source.

More info from Inside Line.

Subaru version will be RWD and will be sold worldwide. While the Toyota version will be sold in Japan only. NA 2.0L boxer making 220 hp :eek: @ 6500 rpm, 6MT from STI, 2866 lbs, 2+2 and priced under $20k. Sounds like a winner to me, but don't know how Subaru is going to fit this RWD into their AWD marketing...

RWD Should be Toyota. AWD should not be that hard, c'mon, people!!!

NA 2.0L engine making 110hp per liter? where is this coming from, especially with a meager 6500 RPM redline. Seems hardly fast enough to generate that sort of power.

If the car is not AWD, it does not have the 6MT from the STI, it would have a 6-speed from some other vehicle, or an Infiniti/Nissan RWD transmission, if they continue to use the same Jatco supplier.

Previous rumors have said that it would use an aisin 6-speed, similar to the new Miata unit.

6-speed, 110hp/liter, 4 seats, under 3000lbs, and under $20k? Sounds fantastic, but maybe "too good to be true".

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=126521#2More fancy rendering, take it for what it's worth.

What's with all the wacky headlights lately? It most be the new trend with the Japanese makers.

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/il/news/2008/0527/subarufr.500.jpg

Ahh, the catch. First of all, I don't think this rendering is indicative.

If it is... FAIL.

The front end is ugly. It is an 08 STI grille, with LF-A like headlights. Ugly as sin. :nono:

The front air dam is puckered in the center, and ugly.

The side mirrors look dowdy, and the rear quarter window looks blunt from this angle, rather than sweeping from previous, somewhat credible renderings.

WHY, WHY, WHYYYYYYYYY?

They finally pull their head out, and make what a lot of us are interested in getting, but then the BOTCH it!

RWD Subaru - FAIL. (RWD Toyota is fine, Subaru should be a traction-monster.)

Ugly, par for the course, and still FAIL.

Why the hell is it so tall an order to have an affordable coupe that looks like a car should look, rather than some weird, angry cartoon.

Your opinion. I disagree on all your subjective points. I think it's hot as is.
________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

I think its pretty tight looking, though I doubt we will get to see it in orange, which looks just awesome.

I dunno, bout them gold wheels. Subaru seems to like gold wheels and I think they're about the only car company them makes them work. However, I prefer to keep them to blue, red, and black cars.

I would buy this car, but not in RWD. I'd take it even with a N/A 2.5L, especially if its going to weigh less than 3000 lbs. The current 3080 lb. Impreza 2.5i can hit 60 MPH in 7.6 seconds. It'd be content with a coupe that could do it in low 7s and save me some gas.

Your opinion. I disagree on all your subjective points. I think it's hot as is.

It is my opinion...

But I still don't like the useless "fangs", I don't like the impreza STI grille, here or on the STI, and I don't like the sagging bumper line, with an arched front air dam line.

The rendering looks like a character from the game "snood".

http://www.womgames.com/images/snoodworld/snoods.gifhttp://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/il/news/2008/0527/subarufr.500.jpg

Would a grille-less design kill them? no grille between some better looking headlights, with three better looking, larger lower intakes?

None of it seems correct to me at this point. Why would Toyota go to Subaru to do a 2.0L N/A RWD drivetrain? That would seem the other way around. 2.0L Turbo AWD 6speed? Yup, that sounds like something you'd go to Subaru to design. 8000rpm redline? Yup, perfect for those STI EJ20s. I could see them going away from the AWD for performance, but going that far away? Seems a very odd stretch. Maybe the driveline is actually Toyota.

Why would Toyota go to Subaru to do a 2.0L N/A RWD drivetrain?

Because Toyota doesn't have a light weight 2.0L that could make good power and they certainly don't have a suitable RWD platform. All their RWD capable platform is either a truck or Lexus. Subaru has all the parts to get this on the market quickly and cheap. I'm not sure about the 220 hp number for the NA EJ20 though. The current NA EJ20 makes ~150 hp, for mass production I really don't think you can add 70 hp without going to FI. To put 220 hp into perspective the EJ25 turbo in the WRX only makes 224 hp in stock form.

I think its pretty tight looking, though I doubt we will get to see it in orange, which looks just awesome.

Not as far fetch as you might think...

Impreza BEAMS edition. :)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/10/beams_f.jpg

I'm not following how you think Subaru has the parts to do this quickly or cheap. They've never had to push the entire force of that driveline to the rear full time, nor do they have a chassis or suspension that's necessarily suitable for it. On top of it, Subaru does not have a cheap 2.0L that can easily make that kind of power.

I don't think any of us need any perspective on what 220hp from an EJ series is...

It really makes no sense to design this using a Subaru drivetrain instead of a Lexus drivetrain, unless they're planning on using something like the EG33 and going the SVX route.

I'm not following how you think Subaru has the parts to do this quickly or cheap. They've never had to push the entire force of that driveline to the rear full time,

It's mentioned in another post that Toyota will be doing the rear diff for the drivetrain, it will not be a Subaru unit.

nor do they have a chassis or suspension that's necessarily suitable for it.

Huh? It's a modified Impreza/Legacy platform as stated in the article, I'm sure it makes use of the suspension bits from the Impreza/Legacy line. What makes you think that platform is not suitable?

On top of it, Subaru does not have a cheap 2.0L that can easily make that kind of power.

The EJ20 has been around for a while and it's relatively inexpensive. It's used as the based engine for Subaru all over the world before the 1.5 came along. As I stated, I doubt the NA version of EJ20 can make 220 hp so realistically it's probably a NA making ~170 hp.

It really makes no sense to design this using a Subaru drivetrain instead of a Lexus drivetrain, unless they're planning on using something like the EG33 and going the SVX route.

Lexus does not have a 4 banger to go with their RWD platform. Besides, which part of Lexus do you think goes with the $20k price point they are going after... :lol:

Not as far fetch as you might think...

Impreza BEAMS edition. :)

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/il/news/2008/0527/subarufr.500.jpghttp://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/10/beams_f.jpg

Close, but not exactly the same, in the hood and door creases...

I still think the coupe rendering is a figment, and constructed from various other pieces, not an indicator of what the real design will look like.

Archived