LegacyGT.com

The XO2 Catback Thread

gone2vegas

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I installed my CBE over the weekend and there are a few issues. The bolt issue I solved by drilling out the holes on the sotck cat flange.

I installed my midpipe with the resonator closer to the front, like the factory one was. My issues are

1. the resonator is hitting the heat shield above the cat.

2. the rear flange of the midpipe is hitting on the driver's side of the tunnel against the heat shield and I am smelling burnt plastic.

3. the driver's side barrel is pushed against the bumper skin and its pointing toward the center of the car. The rubber is maxed out on that side as well.

I took it to a muffler shop this morning and they told me I need to remake my midpipe and driver side y pipe.

I am wondering, do I have the midepipe in backward and/or do I need to rotate it 180 degrees

I installed my CBE over the weekend and there are a few issues. The bolt issue I solved by drilling out the holes on the sotck cat flange.

I installed my midpipe with the resonator closer to the front, like the factory one was. My issues are

1. the resonator is hitting the heat shield above the cat.

2. the rear flange of the midpipe is hitting on the driver's side of the tunnel against the heat shield and I am smelling burnt plastic.

3. the driver's side barrel is pushed against the bumper skin and its pointing toward the center of the car. The rubber is maxed out on that side as well.

I took it to a muffler shop this morning and they told me I need to remake my midpipe and driver side y pipe.

I am wondering, do I have the midepipe in backward and/or do I need to rotate it 180 degrees

take a look at the pictures in post#42. does your midpipe slope down coming off the stock cat like in the picture? if not then you have it installed incorrectly.

I had an issue with the rear flange hitting the heat shield, but didn't have a burning smell.

hopefully you have your midpipe installed incorrectly. then it should just be a minor adjustment of the muffler.

check it out and come back

Mine slopes down like that and the fitting on it is just horrible idk what i should do about it?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/oethero/IMG_0685.jpg

it's hard to tell from that picture how off your tips are. you have to be straight on with the cutout to really see it, so you would need to take 2 pictures.

have you taken it to a muffler shop to have it looked at?

my midpipe has NO slope to it. Just offsets. i removed it last night and tried every other configuration with no success. thinking I'm going back to stock instead of having to worry that I'm melting something. I went to a muffler shop and they are refusing to touch it unless I let them remake everything forward of the Y pipe. The resonator is placed in a bad spot and its heating up the driveshaft bearing

you can see there is hardly any slope in the midpipe where it leaves the cat and I also think the reso is too far back. Had it been an inch or 2 forward it would have cleared the heat shield. I'm going to remove it and have it bent, hopefully it does not kink.

IMG_1592c.jpg.763f9ba237216099a98bd93474748c38.jpg

IMG_1593c.jpg.fdd91a4477fe7b5a2c508598b9f0524b.jpg

IMG_1594c.jpg.c32b912475ea35061dc64b838405cac3.jpg

IMG_1595c.jpg.1022cf783804b7a74d753ee8abfe84d3.jpg

IMG_1596c.jpg.262005b395dfad6e8640980f138f3f5a.jpg

heres some more pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/oethero/IMG_0686.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/oethero/IMG_0687.jpg

idk if you can see it but where the stock exhaust goes. The part where it slopes up this is to the left of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/oethero/IMG_0688.jpg

you can see there is hardly any slope in the midpipe where it leaves the cat and I also think the reso is too far back. Had it been an inch or 2 forward it would have cleared the heat shield. I'm going to remove it and have it bent, hopefully it does not kink.

it's hard to compare in pictures, but it looks like yours is installed correctly.

I would take the car in with the midpipe in place, so the shop can see exactly what they have to do.

heres some more pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/oethero/IMG_0686.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/oethero/IMG_0687.jpg

idk if you can see it but where the stock exhaust goes. The part where it slopes up this is to the left of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/oethero/IMG_0688.jpg

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like your midpipe is installed backwards.

that last one looks worst than mine since both mufflers are crooked. I think I am going to have to do these adjustments myself since none of the 2 shops I went to are willing to work on it. I still want to see one with the XO2 resonator installed properly so I can tell what I did wrong. every other pic posted shows a reso after the fact or no reso at all. Where are all the people that got in on the last group buy. By now i would hope there are other installations done to compare too. The burning plastic smell is coming from inside the muffler itself so I really dont know what thats about, just joping its something from the manufacturing process. Still confused

There was a lot of discussion in the old GB thread. But here are a few pointers.

- Loosen the bolts from the Y-pipe to Muffler and Midpipe to Y-pipe and slowly tighten them one by one like you do with a wheel lugnut. That way you can position, tighten, position, tighten. Just take your time...

- Use the "tuck" fix. Don't use the stock hanger holes but rather the middle portion. I have used it and check religiously and they have yet to deteriorate.

- You can use O-clamps to tighten and move the mufflers to a specific spot you want in the cut-out.

- Bend the hangers with a torch if you have one.

Here are a few threads of others doing something similar...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60059&page=18#266

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60059&page=19#284

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60059&page=21#304

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60059&page=24#352

just curious how does this x02 system compair to a greddy or perrin catback setup??

to be honest with u, after hearing all exhaust clips i think they all sound very similar.

so IMHO there is only 2 CBE to go with and that is XO2 or Megan Racing simply because of the price.

XO2 is a little louder, but they both sound very good and give u a good boxer rumble that isnt annoyingly loud.

Now, with that being said, i dont know how the different brands off CBE compare in terms of performance gains.

all i know is i paid 350$ for the XO2 mufflers, Y-pipe, and midpipe and i dont regret it one bit.

just doesnt make since going with exhaust that costs over 2X as much as XO2 or Megan Racing.

Good luck with your purchase!;)

Yeah, I heard a video on streetfire of the perrin, and it sounds amazing, slightly better than the x02 which also sounds really good. Its so hard to justify the perrins higher price. axelback perrin alone is 600.

Yeah, I heard a video on streetfire of the perrin, and it sounds amazing, slightly better than the x02 which also sounds really good. Its so hard to justify the perrins higher price. axelback perrin alone is 600.

Tell me about it. I bought my Perrin axle-backs last Nov from JSCspeed for $499.00 but I think they've gone up in price.

I am running the Perrins with the X02 catback.:p I wish these were out when I got my car last year. The one good thing about Perrin is you could buy either the mufflers or just the mid/Y pipes. Hint, Hint!! :p

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Yeah, I could pay more for just perrin mufflers, or less and get a full x02 catback...hmmmm I don't think the perrin sounds THAT much better. Is the exhaust too loud without the resonator? I would LOVE to have the popping/backfiring, but I don't want the cops giving me a hard time about the loudness. I used to have an Apexi N1 axleback on my old N/A impreza, and it sounded awesome, so I have no problem with a nice loud sound, i just don't want something that'll make my ears bleed. Also, do the resonators affect anything as far as emissions tests go? Would the fact that its popping possibly fail my emissions test?

Yeah, I could pay more for just perrin mufflers, or less and get a full x02 catback...hmmmm I don't think the perrin sounds THAT much better. Is the exhaust too loud without the resonator? I would LOVE to have the popping/backfiring, but I don't want the cops giving me a hard time about the loudness. I used to have an Apexi N1 axleback on my old N/A impreza, and it sounded awesome, so I have no problem with a nice loud sound, i just don't want something that'll make my ears bleed. Also, do the resonators affect anything as far as emissions tests go? Would the fact that its popping possibly fail my emissions test?

I'm not sure of the popping sound. I used to just have the Perrin cans and the sound was great and consistant(if that makes sense). JSCspeed has a sound clip of the full Perrin Catback exhaust. Also, Scans (pimpmyauto) had a sound clip but I can't get it work now. I think the sounds of both catback or the similar as far as the sound clips.

Also, it is hard to compare the sound clips because usually the cars in the sound clips have some other exhaust mod (catless or hfc downpipe) so it not apple to apples. The best way to compare exhaust sounds is to probably go to a meet and hear some different exhausts in person.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

I prefer my Xo2 over the Perrin system, in person the Perrin is loud!

anyone install a system with the supplied resonator yet? I need to bend my midpipe toward the passenger side, bend my driver side muffler out and back, and the passenger side muffler needs to come up. I do not like the idea of hardclamping the barrels since our cars do not have any point of flex in the exhasut system besides the rubber hangers. For those of us that removed the spring bolts at the DP and used nuts and bolts, we are basically running a rigid exhaust system. There needs to be some points of flex and right not all we have are the rubber exhaust hangers. How hot do we need to make this to bend it? Can it be done at home? Just tired of getting to shops and the only thing they tell me is they have to redo it all.

Just an FYI update -

I bought a small pack of Dynamat Extreme from an eBay vendor - six 12"x3" sheets to be exact.

I cut them into ~1" strips (the long way) and applied them in the trunk. I put a few on the floor of the trunk and probably about eight on the underside of the parcel shelf in the rear.

I didn't expect much, but it really made a nice difference to the sound in the cabin!

The rumble is still there, but it is more muted, with no real harshness. I think it cost me all of ~$25 and 1/2 hour of my time, and was well worth it for the gain in civility.:)

Center your tips and be happy!

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/IMG_2901.jpg

That qualifies as centered?:confused: I rejected the last sample of the MR single tip catback because it looked like that. When I think centered, the tips should be in the middle of the cutouts and not wedged against the inner edges.

Archived