LegacyGT.com

The XO2 Catback Thread

gone2vegas

Well, I pulled into the garage today and got out with the car running and noticed a distinct exhaust leak sound. I put my hand under the DP->CBE connection and sure enough there is a massive exhaust leak there.

I have Cobb catted DP.

I torqued the bolts TIGHT, but the leak is still there. I had gone with the flat gasket that was provided with the CBE, but I guess I will need to get some longer bolts and go back to the donut gasket?

What did everyone else use?

Thanks,

Morgan

You don't want to overtighten as that can cause a leak too. Maybe there isn't enough flange to make a good seal. I used the donut and have not had any leaks. Just had to buy some longer bolts and fender washers.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay so I had the catback installed w/Perrin mufflers and the sound is not bad. It isn't much louder at idle than with just the Perrin mufflers alone. As far as the sound when driving it sounds real aggressive but not bad trust me. Unfortunately, I don't have a digital camera just some crappy cell phone pics. The driver side tip is out a little further than the passenger side. This was also the case with just the Perrin mufflers - wierd. I am going to play around with them with once I gets some better hangers(Cusco/Kartboy).

The only exhaust upgrade I have besides the X02 catback and Perrin mufflers is an STI uppipe but I can feel the difference in 2nd gear. I doesn't die at 4500 rpms in 2nd gear.

Also, I've noticed that when down shifting from 4th to 3rd or from 3rd to 2nd it is a lot smoother. When shifting from 3rd to 2nd at 3000 rpms it doesn't jerk. It is just much smoother. Maybe someone that isn't a noob like me could chime in on this. Could this be because of less resistants in the exhaust. I don't think this is my imagination.

I apologize for the cell phone pics:

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

The easiest way to tell is if the drivers side muffler sticks out the bumber further than the passenger side.

no it doesnt but the drivers side muffler is a little crooked (facing a little toward the passenger side muffler). any thoughts?

Cannis,

Thanks for a real drive video. I am having the XO2 catback installed tonght to my Perring mufflers.:eek: I also have a 3" SS resonator but I want to hear without resonator before I decide if I want to weld it to the mid pipe. I assume yours didn't have the resonator? How is it on the highway as far as drone?

I don't think this will be as dramatic for me being as I am not going from total stock to XO2 catback. I am used to the Perrins, which I love. I just hope it is not too loud. Loud , like setting off car alarms and birds flying out of trees when I start in the morning.

Hey. Yes, mine did not have the resonator. If I drive by a car with a super sensitive perimeter/motion sensor and rev it up, then I can get the car to chirp or honk the horn a little, but it's not loud and obnoxious like many modified systems out there.

The drone on the freeway doesn't bother me at all. I'm not exactly sure what some people would characterize as a drone vs. "normal" or a "hum". It doesn't bother me and is easily overcome with the windows down, or the stereo volume up. But if you're looking for a luxury type sound where you can cart around the in-laws or business clients and maintain a nice serene sound, then you'll need to do a resonator or something; because you can definitely hear it.

Let us know what it sounds like with the Perrins. That should be awesome.

ok i have a small problem. the end of the midpipe (the side connected to the Y-pipe) scrapes against the curb when i back out of the driveway. however, it doesnt do this when i go slow out of my driveway or go over other bumps in the road such as speed bumps. my curb is kind of harsh.

i checked the connection and everything looks fine and its not hanging down too low or anything.

but im a little worried because i am about to lower the car 1.5 inches and im worried that it will do this even when i go slow out of the driveway

From the sounds of it you have your mid pipe installed backwards. My drivers side can was only touching the bumber surround when the mid pipe was installed incorrectly. I am loer on Gp Motos about 2 inches and only scraped on speed bumps when it was installed incorrectly. Once I corrected the midpipe I went over the same bumps without any problems. It is worth pulling off and reversing, only took me about 20 mins with just jack stands.

can any1 else comment? i am losing sleep over this

maybe your dp is causing the catback to hang lower because I'm lowered on Swifts and haven't scraped on anything.

I took some pictures of my catback. I'll post pics when I get home from work.

everything looks correct to me is there any leak problem?

not that i know of. there is a whistling sound coming from the midpipe/downpipe connection but i still get full boost, full power, good looking datalogs, no smell unless im at a complete stop (catless DP and UP), and i stuck my hand underneath all the connections and felt nothing! maybe im just being too catious.:rolleyes:

I went to longer bolts and used the Donut and springs and the leak is gone.

I also played more with the hose clamps and improved the alignment of the tips a bit, so it's pretty good.

Have people been pleased with the results of having a muffler shop straighten the tips? Are they able to get them to hang pretty good with the standard hangers?

If so, I may do that down the road.

Thanks,

Morgan

So...if I just drilled out the holes in the stock MP to fit the Xo2 bolts, didn't use the donut, and used the Xo2 gasket to bolt the two plates together flush (no movement/flex possible), will this cause problems?

So...if I just drilled out the holes in the stock MP to fit the Xo2 bolts, didn't use the donut, and used the Xo2 gasket to bolt the two plates together flush (no movement/flex possible), will this cause problems?

looks like YMMV

not that i know of. there is a whistling sound coming from the midpipe/downpipe connection but i still get full boost, full power, good looking datalogs, no smell unless im at a complete stop (catless DP and UP), and i stuck my hand underneath all the connections and felt nothing! maybe im just being too catious.:rolleyes:

I am getting the same whistling noise now with the MR Catless DP .... that I just put on, I think the sound is normal, I had the shop listen and they said its just the turbo spooling.

Archived