LegacyGT.com

The XO2 Catback Thread

gone2vegas

The stock mufflers went back on this weekend, and the car is MUCH quieter. I'd say 90-95% as quiet as stock. There isn't any difference until I really get on the throttle, and even then it is almost no louder than stock. Definitely does not sound like an aftermarket exhaust.

Oh--the fitment on the stock mufflers is perfect with the XO2 y-pipe.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SO i started the coating process myself. Materials needed are as follows:

4 sheets of 350 grit sand paper

1 Sanding sponge

1 Paint Brush

1 Bottle of rubbing alcohol - 1 liter

1 face mask

1 heat gun

1 set of gloves

1 can of black velvet hi temp paint

1 shirt to use as a rag with alcohol

10 feet of wire strong enough to hold exhaust pieces from the ceiling

6 pack of beer(for those under 18 use o'douls)

So far the steps taken were:

1. 350 grit sand paper on the mid and y pipe - estimated time was 45 minutes

2. Hang the pieces with the wire

3. Clean the pieces with the alcohol and shirt

4. Coat it with black velvet hi temp paint (I am currently in the process of waiting 24 hours for it to cure. I might give it more time since its colder outside. )

5. Re apply a second layer and heat to 400 degrees with heat gun.(pics are posted lower...)

I will keep this updated and post pictures tomorrow or the day after whenever i go to finish it. Any extra steps will be noted. Thanks to tytek for his info on his procedure and for the tips as well as info on the heat gun, i however did not use a primer. and used a wire to hold it up for a more efficient 360 degree look on it instead of doing it on card board.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

Great progress ;) It does take a long time though...

I suspended mine from the ceiling as well and it made the job a lot easier. Post some pix once you are done. I failed to take mine :lol:

Yeah i hoping that this will prove a cheaper alternative for those who

A) can't find a coating shop around ,

B) Can't afford coating,

C) too lazy to wait for the 3 week coating time that has been quoted by every coater that is in the 5 hour radius to them.

D) Also wants to just use up their free time.

R.I.P Coxx

Yeah i hoping that this will prove a cheaper alternative for those who

A) can't find a coating shop around ,

B) Can't afford coating,

C) too lazy to wait for the 3 week coating time that has been quoted by every coater that is in the 5 hour radius to them.

D) Also wants to just use up their free time.

E) Are too cheap to pay for coating

Fixed :lol:

however, I can afford coating, but I am too cheap to pull the trigger :spin:

fo...sho!

Yeah i just don't want to pay for something that i could quite possibly do myself and achieve the similar results, obviously not the same since they actually have machines and industrial tools for these things. My main reason though...is i called three company's 2 didn't call me back and the 1 that did says i would have to wait 2-3 weeks the minimum which did not make me happy, then he added oh its 40 dollars per foot.

Let me just say tytek, i couldn't rent a heat gun in any store, went to loews and found a heat gun for 28 bucks. For those of you in the similar situation don't buy them in HD or Sears go to Loews and they will have them uber cheap.

Cost of materials= 28 for heat gun, 5 for sand paper, 5 for galvanized wire, 29 for paint, 3 for brush, 3 for sand sponge, 4 for mask, 4 for gloves(latex in my case don't have any laying around), shirt laying around free, 1 bottle of rubbing alcohol/acetone/solvent 1-8 dollars = 82-90 dollars + time

Plus not only do I have more paint to use for other parts if needed, but consider the other non consumables i will now have for future projects. After getting it sent to coat...you get a receipt. :)

R.I.P Coxx

Reading may > you... but I was actually being serious! :lol:

Like Korpse said... why pay someone else to do what you're completely capable of. I completely relate to not justifying the expense even though I can afford it, hence being too cheap! ;):D

Reading may > you... but I was actually being serious! :lol:

Like Korpse said... why pay someone else to do what you're completely capable of. I completely relate to not justifying the expense even though I can afford it, hence being too cheap! ;):D

:lol:

fo...sho!

Yeah i just don't want to pay for something that i could quite possibly do myself and achieve the similar results, obviously not the same since they actually have machines and industrial tools for these things. My main reason though...is i called three company's 2 didn't call me back and the 1 that did says i would have to wait 2-3 weeks the minimum which did not make me happy, then he added oh its 40 dollars per foot.

Let me just say tytek, i couldn't rent a heat gun in any store, went to loews and found a heat gun for 28 bucks. For those of you in the similar situation don't buy them in HD or Sears go to Loews and they will have them uber cheap.

Cost of materials= 28 for heat gun, 5 for sand paper, 5 for galvanized wire, 29 for paint, 3 for brush, 3 for sand sponge, 4 for mask, 4 for gloves(latex in my case don't have any laying around), shirt laying around free, 1 bottle of rubbing alcohol/acetone/solvent 1-8 dollars = 82-90 dollars + time

Plus not only do I have more paint to use for other parts if needed, but consider the other non consumables i will now have for future projects. After getting it sent to coat...you get a receipt. :)

Now, go upstairs and peel off that old wallpaper with your new heat gun! (said in korpse's wife's voice) :lol:

Now, go upstairs and peel off that old wallpaper with your new heat gun! (said in korpse's wife's voice) :lol:

Ugh luckily not married yet... (just hope my g/f doesn't figure out how to find my posts on these forums).

R.I.P Coxx

Here are the pics of the mid and y pipes after a full one day coat of the black velvet material. I took care of the recoat tonight.

Step 5: Heat and Recoat.

There is two methods I tried tonight but not for much, first i put the heatgun on each tail pipe for about 10 min at 1000 deg setting. Then I passed it over the whole pipe for about 10 minutes. This is not supposed to be that short but the reason I did such a short heat treatment is my mask was inadequate, this stuff is quite quite pungent and makes you very light headed so take that into account and take the necessary precautions. I did both for a bit today but not much and tomorrow after i get the necessary heavy duty mask. I plan to do a 1-2 hour heat treatment. Then another coat.

Also whether this comes out good or not depends if i will make a thread in the how to section since you could apply this to any exhaust or metal part.

Half-and-Half-mid.jpg.fe91e7d8adc5b21aa86bef75bed0a73b.jpg

Heat-Gun.jpg.c6483541e53ec61fe62e1f634ac142aa.jpg

Hanging-from-top.jpg.64a5caea4ac1c2cfad4a9fd909f065fa.jpg

Mid-dry-day-1.jpg.f7e1f76e4a7f7c6ed990437b97c41dac.jpg

end-of-pipe.jpg.17b0e9a501acbd3e0dc0b375487f19a0.jpg

y-dry-half-and-half.jpg.c812b8d2f0e174f6934aec73380d247c.jpg

Both-dry-day-1-part-2.jpg.9c58ff1bbdea55e55026fd6c05d03cb9.jpg

both-half-and-half-day-1.jpg.975867f2829d082d17dae59ccf8b8e44.jpg

Paint.jpg.074dab59b260b31385f07a430e2d36b9.jpg

R.I.P Coxx

Here are the pics of the mid and y pipes after a full one day coat of the black velvet material. I took care of the recoat tonight.

Step 5: Heat and Recoat.

There is two methods I tried tonight but not for much, first i put the heatgun on each tail pipe for about 10 min at 1000 deg setting. Then I passed it over the whole pipe for about 10 minutes. This is not supposed to be that short but the reason I did such a short heat treatment is my mask was inadequate, this stuff is quite quite pungent and makes you very light headed so take that into account and take the necessary precautions. I did both for a bit today but not much and tomorrow after i get the necessary heavy duty mask. I plan to do a 1-2 hour heat treatment. Then another coat.

Also whether this comes out good or not depends if i will make a thread in the how to section since you could apply this to any exhaust or metal part.

You're nutz,just throw that b!tch on the car.:lol:

Good work though

Denial is your best friend

Archived