LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I pulled my filter out last week. When I first checked it the car had around 50k miles on it and it was very clean. I put the filter back in then. It made me nervous sitting in there though so last week I decided to just take it out. It was still completely clean last week after another 14k miles or so. Oh, and I reused the copper washers both times and so far no leaks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked and replaced my banjo bolt filter, and wanted to say thanks to everyone on this thread; it was pretty easy after I read through the info here.

My car has 113k mi, so the bolts were pretty tight. I removed the heat shield to get more working room, although I suppose you could try it with the shield in place.

Two tricks I could add to this:

-Instead of a mag pickup (I work in the marine industry so everything stainless, so we don't use magnets!) get a "grabber" tool like this one : http://www.homedepot.com/p/GrabEasy-Grabber-and-Retriever-PF0401/202505170 I have a Stanley with a little LED light and it made it really easy to pick up the bracket fasteners and replace.

-The stubby wrench fits, but if your bolts are as tough as mine you'll need help to break the bolt loose. The way the wrench fits in the space, you're pulling up to loosen the bolt, which isn't the most efficient way to work. I'm not weak, and was pulling the car up on the springs a few inches with no result. So: I used wood (a piece of) on the wrench and hit it with a hammer once from the top, which actually tightened it, but broke free the corrosion. After that, I tied a slide hammer to the wrench, and used that to pull the wrench up to loosen the bolt. Once that happened it was easy.

As an oil change fanatic I have been advised that the banjo filters clog up only when regular oil changes are neglected. True of false?

Who advised you of that? Subaru does not issue a TSB lightly. Among the documented cases that led up to the TSB was one of a Baja getting serviced at the dealer every 3k and having a turbo failure due to a clogged screen.

Ran dino for 148K miles and still on original BB w/filter. Just recently switched over to full synth. OCIs at NMT 3200miles and always use Subaru Tokyo Roki filters.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

For what it's worth my banjo filter was only checked ~113000mi, and it had some light crud in it, but was by no means blocked.

Since I got it the car has been on 3700-3000mi OCI, and not driven all that hard. Bought it used at 60k so no idea before that. Only big issue was an incorrect air filter for a while which probably let lots of dust and grit into the engine.

Anyone else ever have problems getting the filter to come out of the banjo bolt? I pulled the passengers side on the motor I bought and the filter is in there - clean as a whistle, mind you, but I'm thinking I should remove it regardless and it doesn't want to come out...

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I use something similar to this [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Moody-Tools-55-0290-Stainless-Precision/dp/B0026GPFBK/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_6?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1397844773&sr=1-6&keywords=stainless+steel+pick]pick/probe set[/ame] to get it out.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/611M1k9lCwL._AA1500_.jpg

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

My thought's on the 07-09's are because the filter is vertical the oil and particles tend to fall down out of it when the oil flow is shut off when you stop the engine.

I want to make sure I understand this right. The 07-09s are less likely to get clogged because the filter orientation is vertical?

I want to make sure I understand this right. The 07-09s are less likely to get clogged because the filter orientation is vertical?

It's simply conjecture.

Change your oil regularly with a quality filter and oil and it's going to be your best bet against a clogged filter. If you are still paranoid, get an external filter assembly from Mike, that you can easily take out and clean whenever you wish.

• 1 month later...
this is exactly what I was looking for just got an 05 with 151k on the dash although shop claims to have replaced engine with one thats 89k But I shall do this next oil change. How bad would it be if I left the driver side banjo bolt alone until I do timing belt im guessing next year?

With a vf40 turbo setup (small high pressure orifices, bearing type, etc.) why on earth would you want to pull out the protective screen? Just one of those little metal flakes that sometimes are caught by the screen could score the turbo bearings. Change your oil and filter regularly....use synthetic oil....and a filter designed for the Subaru high pressure oil system....you are golden.

Yes, that's my opinion...

this is exactly what I was looking for just got an 05 with 151k on the dash although shop claims to have replaced engine with one thats 89k But I shall do this next oil change. How bad would it be if I left the driver side banjo bolt alone until I do timing belt im guessing next year?

The drivers side seems to be less of a problem. There is a DIY from HAMMERDOWN on how to grind the head of the bolt down and then pull the bolt out.

With a vf40 turbo setup (small high pressure orifices, bearing type, etc.) why on earth would you want to pull out the protective screen? Just one of those little metal flakes that sometimes are caught by the screen could score the turbo bearings. Change your oil and filter regularly....use synthetic oil....and a filter designed for the Subaru high pressure oil system....you are golden.

Becuase dirty oil is better than no oil. If you do regular oil and filter changes, you shouldn't need that little filter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 months later...

I need to consider this. I bought a 2005 LGT from a friend who takes good care of his stuff, but when I asked him about this banjo-filter stuff, he said, "Huh?".

Car has about 105,000 on the odo. Always had synthetic, but tended towards synthetic change intervals.

Do you mean 100,000 miles?

Remove the filter when you install a catless up pipe. Check for shaft play on the trubo, and have a plan in place to replace the turbo soon.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Do you mean 100,000 miles?

No, I mean 105,000. Stupid fingers.

Remove the filter when you install a catless up pipe. Check for shaft play on the trubo, and have a plan in place to replace the turbo soon.

I have no intention of installing a catless up pipe. I intend to drive it stock as a DD. I have another car for competitive driving.

You have not heard of the cat in the up pipe coming apart and taking out the turbo. It happens.

That's why most of us remove that stock up pipe. Subaru even figured that one out for 2007.

definitely.....up pipe cat must go! get a coated grimmspeed and apply the resisitor fix....this is not primarily for the increased performance .... but to preserve your turbo and engine from catastrophic cat failure....otherwise known as cat/cat....lol

What is this "resistor fix"? Mine is an '07, so my cat is good as far as I know. Never heard of this resistor fix though…

Thanks, Doug

definitely.....up pipe cat must go! get a coated grimmspeed and apply the resisitor fix....this is not primarily for the increased performance .... but to preserve your turbo and engine from catastrophic cat failure....otherwise known as cat/cat....lol

• 2 months later...

Archived