LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Is there any kind of consensus yet on whether it is best to remove the filter screen, or replace with a new one every few 10k miles? Has anyone actually confirmed that their turbo bearings wore out to the point of failure because they removed the banjo screen?

Also, is it possible to simply clean the existing banjo screen and reuse, it or needs to be replaced rather than cleaned?

I don't think there is really a way to prove the filters cause failure... but knowing that the turbo usually is killed by starving for oil- and the filters impede oil flow; it's determined they definitely don't help. Subaru has done away with them, so that is rather telling, I'd say huh?

Removal- good luck on removing and cleaning them... I think it's such a pita, that I'd be worried about the integrity of the filter if you got er out in one piece.

If you have big enough debri in your oil that it will cause damage to the turbo without the filter in place... well you have bigger issues then the turbo I'm afraid.

Is there any kind of consensus yet on whether it is best to remove the filter screen, or replace with a new one every few 10k miles? Has anyone actually confirmed that their turbo bearings wore out to the point of failure because they removed the banjo screen?

Also, is it possible to simply clean the existing banjo screen and reuse, it or needs to be replaced rather than cleaned?

Over 83,000 miles with the filter before the turbo removed and over 72,000 miles with both filters removed.

Take them out and leave them out.

You have a oil filter on the engine to catch crap...there should be no reason for crap to cause damage to the turbo in a healthy engine. Think about it, if it was that import to have filters before critically important parts, they would put filters before each bearing surface in the block and heads.

Oh, they do, its the engine oil filter. Use a good oil filter, keep you oil level topped off, use a decent oil.

I also try and drive easy for the last 1/2 mile or so before I shut the car off if I've been driving it hard or on the highway, just to let the oil cool a little.

Your new here, these cars like to be driven, those of us with high mileage cars have fewer problems then those who only drive for short distances. Both my cars when started are driven for 10 miles or my on the highway before they get shut off 99% of the time.

Yes a may go to the local store in town, but that's not a normal drive for me. Any big shopping or entertainment is at least a 10 miles highway drive.

My Spec gets driven once a week this time of year, to diner, movie or shopping on Saturday evening's. Other times of the year it may sit for 4 or more weeks before it gets moved. But when its driven, it for a distance.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...

Did subaru change to a filterless turbo feed bolt? I told the dude at the dealership which part I wanted and when I picked it up it didn't have a filter (still had a raised nipple on the head), so I proceed to change what I thought was the supply bolt. Whenever I pulled the old one out though, it didn't have a filter in it either.

I'm wondering, am I good to go? Or did I change the wrong bolt??

Did subaru change to a filterless turbo feed bolt? I told the dude at the dealership which part I wanted and when I picked it up it didn't have a filter (still had a raised nipple on the head), so I proceed to change what I thought was the supply bolt. Whenever I pulled the old one out though, it didn't have a filter in it either.

I'm wondering, am I good to go? Or did I change the wrong bolt??

I'm thinking you pulled the one at the turbo not the one on the back of the head.

The bolt you want is the one that goes in the oil feed tube here,

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4769.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4770_zpse522bec7.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Thanks to all for the great info on this thread. Have a new-to-me '05 LGT with 149k Miles on it. After the timing belt, this was next on my list. The engine bay looked fairly clean and tidy. I had hoped the PO maintained it well. The turbo feed banjo bolt came out no problem. The filter was clean but I took it out anyway. The AVCS side top bolt came out no problem either. There was no filter in the bolt and I tried fishing in the hole but I saw metal and no sign of any filter. I decided to forego the killer bolt behind the timing belt cover. The guy who did the timing belt thought it was too hard and thought he had to take off the cams etc.

I have fresh dino oil in there so I will have some fun later. Next up is switching to 0w-40 M1....

Thanks to all for the great info on this thread. Have a new-to-me '05 LGT with 149k Miles on it. After the timing belt, this was next on my list. The engine bay looked fairly clean and tidy. I had hoped the PO maintained it well. The turbo feed banjo bolt came out no problem. The filter was clean but I took it out anyway. The AVCS side top bolt came out no problem either. There was no filter in the bolt and I tried fishing in the hole but I saw metal and no sign of any filter. I decided to forego the killer bolt behind the timing belt cover. The guy who did the timing belt thought it was too hard and thought he had to take off the cams etc.

I have fresh dino oil in there so I will have some fun later. Next up is switching to 0w-40 M1....

0w-40 is a BAD idea.

5w-40 Shell Rotella t6 if you want to stay with oil you can get very easy.

0w-40 is a BAD idea.

5w-40 Shell Rotella t6 if you want to stay with oil you can get very easy.

Thanks for the tip, switching to Rotella now.

I have never done a valve shim adjustment and I think I'll shop that around first to see what it would cost. I've done valve lash multiple times but shims you would need handy if you needed to adjust anything. I would rather get them checked and adjusted at the same time.

Got a short laundry list including d#@$(* airbag light.

True. If you are patient though, you could always follow the route I did:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0slj-8_d-8]Nexus 7 2013 installed in 05 subaru outback using OEM USDM NAV bezel - YouTube[/ame]

/end of thread-jacking :lol:

will keep that info on btsSsm handy. i need my pockets refilled after going thru the usual used-car laundry list. i have an older elm dongle that i just used with torgue to look at a few things. no faults was all i got...

sorry for jacking the thread, back to ye olde banjo bolts...

True. If you are patient though, you could always follow the route I did:

/end of thread-jacking :lol:

I like the Nexus route, but I'm loathe to displace this

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55111&d=1216267461

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 4 weeks later...

Since I had the turbo out, I pulled the bolt and removed the filter.

I marked the bolt head to indicate the direction of the openings.

When I put it back in, I noticed that it's turning a bit past the wide open, by about 30 to 45 degrees. Is this ok, or is there something I should try to look at?

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Archived