LegacyGT.com

Found what happened to my oil... and it's not on the driveway

I don't know about high temp running, but a semi-synthetic will flow to about -37C whereas a conventional oil will flow to -28C (the best I have found so far, and many are much worse).

So for people that have to start their cars in the cold semi-sythetic is a big difference.

FWIW full synthetic 5w30 flows to -54C

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone running Amsoil? That's what I use in my V6 Volkswagen GTI and my wife's V8 Mercury Mountaineer.

I recently got my Outback XT but I plan on running Amsoil Signature Series 0W-30 100% synthetic.

Yes, I use Amsoil in my G/F's 05 WRX & my 05 GT & 07 Solstice GXP. Link to last OA's of the subaru's. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82383 I avg. 12k OCI. WRX as about 60k & about 88k on my GT. Both motors & turbos are still running strong.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

The Volvos are great beater cars...mine has 192,000+ miles. I have a friend who is a Volvo fanatic and helps me keep the Brick in line and functional.

I hope to keep it along time...that is until I can afford another '05 GT for play...

my next toy may be an M5 or 6 :cool:

The Volvos are great beater cars...mine has 192,000+ miles. I have a friend who is a Volvo fanatic and helps me keep the Brick in line and functional.

I hope to keep it along time...that is until I can afford another '05 GT for play...

glad to hear it...:) just bought my wife a new s-40.

I dont worry about it, I get oil changed well before they are due, at the dealership, using whatever oil they put in. Anything happens and there is no way they can deny my coverage. Playing it safe.

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry about the thread revival but I didn't see another suitable one on the page.

How much does it take to fill the dipstick from halfway to full?

My understanding is that dipstick shows 1 quart from low to high markings, so halfway is 0.5 quart.

Well, then that's what I go through on a 5K OCI on Mobil 1 5W30. 50/50 city/hwy driving with occasional romps. I never compensate as you don't have to unless it is below the low line. I'm about 200 miles shy of 5K on this change and I am right at the middle. When I change it, I fill'er up usually right at or right below the line.

Just my input.

Well, then that's what I go through on a 5K OCI on Mobil 1 5W30. 50/50 city/hwy driving with occasional romps. I never compensate as you don't have to unless it is below the low line. I'm about 200 miles shy of 5K on this change and I am right at the middle. When I change it, I fill'er up usually right at or right below the line.

Just my input.

Sounds about wright

Whew... I just read this entire thread and learned a few things... I'm eating up oil now for one reason or another. I bought my 05 LGT used as a DD and it's been more trouble than it's worth. Hopefully it will be something other than bad rings or other internal problems... as soon as the car is acting normal it will have a for-sale sign on it LOL.

In addition to burning oil I get this nasty smell sometimes during WOT. It smells like exhaust but it only seems to happen when the oil is low... hopefully I can get everything sorted out soon... if I find something interesting I'll post it up.

Whew... I just read this entire thread and learned a few things... I'm eating up oil now for one reason or another. I bought my 05 LGT used as a DD and it's been more trouble than it's worth. Hopefully it will be something other than bad rings or other internal problems... as soon as the car is acting normal it will have a for-sale sign on it LOL.

In addition to burning oil I get this nasty smell sometimes during WOT. It smells like exhaust but it only seems to happen when the oil is low... hopefully I can get everything sorted out soon... if I find something interesting I'll post it up.

hmm.. interesting. I dont really mind the oil consumption does about half quart every 3000 miles...

If the smell you describe is like rotten eggs, it's from your cats and possibly crappy fuel. Used to have it on my Altima in Nebraska. Soon as I'd drive and fill up in Minnesota, it would stop doing it. I think the Legacy has done it maybe 3 or 4 times in the year and half I've had it.

I changed my oil yesterday and upon checking, I actually burned a bit more than half, about .75 qt. Still within safe margin. I filled her up to the brim of the F line, I'll keep an eye on it.

Note that this oil change has been in since December 8, 2007. It has gone through winter and everything, 5K miles/4 months on it.

The awesome coincidence was that as I rolled in the driveway to get ready to change the oil, the ODO read 4999.6 :)

Speaking of oil.......

If any of you are Costco members, there's a coupon, good until 4/20, for $8 off a 6-pack case of Mobil 1, which takes it from $29.99 to to $21.99. Limit 2 cases.

Ron

Sorry too dang lazy to read through this whole thread but...

An FYI, all the guys at IWSTI.com are ranting and raving about Shell Rotella T synthetic. Those guys are racing w/it and not loosing oil.

Being we have dang near the same motor and that they drive theres harder than most of us do...it's worth checking out.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

hmm.. interesting. I dont really mind the oil consumption does about half quart every 3000 miles...

Last week I checked it and it my dipstick was dry... put about 1.5-1.75qts in it and did some 1/8 drag racing at the local track... now it's just below "low" level on the stick. I've been putting about 1qt every 2 weeks in and I might put 100 miles on the car.

If the smell you describe is like rotten eggs, it's from your cats and possibly crappy fuel. Used to have it on my Altima in Nebraska. Soon as I'd drive and fill up in Minnesota, it would stop doing it. I think the Legacy has done it maybe 3 or 4 times in the year and half I've had it.

I changed my oil yesterday and upon checking, I actually burned a bit more than half, about .75 qt. Still within safe margin. I filled her up to the brim of the F line, I'll keep an eye on it.

Note that this oil change has been in since December 8, 2007. It has gone through winter and everything, 5K miles/4 months on it.

The awesome coincidence was that as I rolled in the driveway to get ready to change the oil, the ODO read 4999.6 :)

It's not the fuel that's for sure. I did take apart part of the exhaust and found the "donut" gasket was all messed up and was definately leaking... if the smell comes back after I put a new one on I'll check the cats out :D

I like the car but it eats gas (I should have researched this purchase more -- my own fault) and oil. I plan to look at the car this weekend to see if I can find what's up... The gas problem I can live with but the oil makes me worry about blowing her up lol

For starters I'm going to try a different kind or brand of oil... I've tried Mobil 5w30 and 10w30 so far... I also want to take the IC/pipes off to see if there is anything going on in there. I don't smell any oil burning which is good.

yeah thats a lot... ouch:confused:

Last week I checked it and it my dipstick was dry... put about 1.5-1.75qts in it and did some 1/8 drag racing at the local track... now it's just below "low" level on the stick. I've been putting about 1qt every 2 weeks in and I might put 100 miles on the car.

It's not the fuel that's for sure. I did take apart part of the exhaust and found the "donut" gasket was all messed up and was definately leaking... if the smell comes back after I put a new one on I'll check the cats out :D

I like the car but it eats gas (I should have researched this purchase more -- my own fault) and oil. I plan to look at the car this weekend to see if I can find what's up... The gas problem I can live with but the oil makes me worry about blowing her up lol

For starters I'm going to try a different kind or brand of oil... I've tried Mobil 5w30 and 10w30 so far... I also want to take the IC/pipes off to see if there is anything going on in there. I don't smell any oil burning which is good.

• 1 year later...
Apparently after going to the dealership and talking with them... they asked what kind of oil I was using I said Mobil 1 syth. "AHHHHHH" they said......apparently Subies motors burn fully synthetic oil... I said "BS" so they said ok how about we put syth blend back in then come back in 1k miles.....I said cool.....I drove like a mad man for almost 2k miles and never checked my oil; brought it back to the dealer and they checked the oil in right in front of me and showed me the dip stick...it was dead on balls full. They said Subaru motors tolerances aren't tight enough for full syth motor oil ....hmmmm that may be true.... because my buddy is on his second motor because after switching to syth and didn't check it on the regular... :confused: To drive the point home....(no pun intended) they showed me two STI motors there one was warrentied......both "had" syth motor oil in them.....

i know this is a old post/old thread but i use castrol edge full synthetic my car has 74000 miles and i dont burn more than 1/2 qt of oil every oil change... and i only change my oil every 5000 miles....

i know this is a old post/old thread but i use castrol edge full synthetic my car has 74000 miles and i dont burn more than 1/2 qt of oil every oil change... and i only change my oil every 5000 miles....

A mechanical tolerance defines a range of accepted dimensions for a part. If what this dealer is saying is true, then you have a motor that just fits tighter together than the other guy. Both engines are acceptable by Subaru production quality standards, but the tolerance stack of your engine results in a tighter fit, and works better with fully synthetic oil. Luck of the draw.

Everybody wants to believe that the dimensions for each component in each engine is exactly the same, but that is just not feasible. Well, not feasible if you're trying to mass-produce something.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

^ so what ur saying is that i lucked out and happen to get a engine that works better with fully synthetic oil?? :) the owner before me didnt use full synthetic though... he used conventional i think... so when i got it i switched to blend... then a couple oil changes later switched to full syn...

Archived