LegacyGT.com

Another KW2 review!

LittleBlueGT

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is the thread pitch on the shaft at the top of the front damper? I am talking w/ MSi and trying to get the camber plates to be set-up for this...

Ted

I don't know. Maybe Paul can chime in.

The MSI camber plates are affected by thread pitch?

I think a part of the less harshness/yet stiffer then stock has to do with the less unsprung weight.

Under certain conditions I'm sure thats true. When I had my WRX and switched from summer to winter wheels/tires the car did a much better job of handling bumps in some cases. Both sets used the same type of wheel but the winter tires were a good deal lighter. I'm sure some of it had to do with the softer sidewalls of the winter tires, but the suspension just felt like it was more under control with the lighter setup.

I don't know. Maybe Paul can chime in.

The MSI camber plates are affected by thread pitch?

Unless MSI supplies a new top nut with their camber plates, I cannot see why the thread pitch would be relevant. The camber plates should interface with the unthreaded part of the dampener shaft. I honestly do not know the size and pitch of the threaded portion.

Unless MSI supplies a new top nut with their camber plates, I cannot see why the thread pitch would be relevant. The camber plates should interface with the unthreaded part of the dampener shaft. I honestly do not know the size and pitch of the threaded portion.

Right, thread pitch shouldn't be an issue. Shaft size can be, but the KW's are the same as stock.

And yes KW's are sweeeeet. :)

- Andrew

Right, thread pitch shouldn't be an issue. Shaft size can be, but the KW's are the same as stock.

And yes KW's are sweeeeet. :)

- Andrew

That is what I thought.

I still can't believe more people aren't concerned with the weight???????????

I think it is phenominal.

Combine this weight loss with the 15 lbs per front corner of my upcoming AP BBK and I will be loving life!

I'll bet a c-note you can't correctly tell the difference between 15 lbs a corner in a double-blind test

I am a pretty sensitive guy.:wub::lol:

In certain driving situations I would agree with you, but over certain bumpy roads I would take you up on that challenge.

Case in point. I drove an Impreza with iON BBK (lost around 13 lbs per corner on the front) and the difference was noticeable. Not just in acceleration in low gears, but over bumpy stuff.

only going to derail the thread for a sec, but I think it depends on the car (purely from the acceleration standpoint for a sec).

108hp CRX - I felt a major difference with just 9lbs less per corner.

300+hp Subaru - no difference from a 52lb combo to a 40lb combo.

200+hp MINI - dropping from 54lbs (damn runflats!) to 30lbs - nothing. Almost a 50% decrease :eek:

Remember that not all parts of the coilover are considered unsprung weight...

And dropping about 10-12 lbs per corner (SSR Comps) in the 170 whp 2500 lb car my wife drives mad a noticeable difference in acceleration and the suspension reactions...

:spin:

Remember that not all parts of the coilover are considered unsprung weight.

That is over 20 lbs of kinda unsprung weight off the car.

Color added.

I would imagine that just over 50% of the set-up would be considered as unsprung weight.

Well, in a week and a half, I will be installing KWs, DMS Camber Plates, Spec-B Lower Control Arms, and the Fulcrum SuperPro bushings... :D

I have the JDM 20mm rear bar on right now, but I also have WORX Tuning Adjustable F+R Sway Bars sitting in the garage that I will try w/ MSi Endlinks(Already installed the WORX Sway Bar Mount Reinforcement Set)

So, we'll see how they work on a Wagon :lol: I am happy the DMS plates will add a little ride height. I think I will be able to get about the stance I want. :D

I have to figure out what to do with the WORX springs now....

:spin:

Well, in a week and a half, I will be installing KWs, DMS Camber Plates, Spec-B Lower Control Arms, and the Fulcrum SuperPro bushings... :D

I have the JDM 20mm rear bar on right now, but I also have WORX Tuning Adjustable F+R Sway Bars sitting in the garage that I will try w/ MSi Endlinks(Already installed the WORX Sway Bar Mount Reinforcement Set)

So, we'll see how they work on a Wagon :lol: I am happy the DMS plates will add a little ride height. I think I will be able to get about the stance I want. :D

I have to figure out what to do with the WORX springs now....

Sounds pretty exciting!

In certain driving situations I would agree with you, but over certain bumpy roads I would take you up on that challenge.

Exactly. I couldn't tell the difference at all on my WRX when it came to acceleration. I could tell the difference when it came to making sharp turns on rough roads. It could have been psychological, but I doubt it since I wasn't expecting to feel any difference in that situation.

LBGT: Thanks for the info on the KW's, they seem like a great option for daily-drivers who are looking for more control (driving control and tuning control) without sacrificing too much comfort. This is a front runner for me unless we start seeing more strut offerings in the next year or two.

Praedet: You better post up a review when all is said and done. That sounds like a fantastic setup! Adjustable dampening/height coilovers to suppress the excessive roll/squat/dive, camber plates and fulcrum bushings to get the alignment spot on, and some aluminum bits since you're in there. I'm wondering if you will even need the upgraded sways afterwards.

It seems like Subaru designed the legacy to have a much stiffer suspension and then swapped in the soft oem bits right at the end.

LBGT,

Any further comments on the ride? Squat and Dive? How much does playing with the dampener settings change the ride?

Ted

Ride is very nice and controlled, it is not plush, but is a much nicer ride (comfort wise) then OEM struts/shocks and aftermarket springs.

I have yet to adj the settings to much stiffer then they are now (about 1/4 up from full soft) so you will have to wait for comments on that. Weather is too crappy lately.

I would imagine these coil-overs could support springs that are another 50% stiffer if one was soo inclined.

OK, just for you guys I accidentaly hit a huge pot-hole. The KW2s took it not too bad actually.

Really, they ride fantastic. The fact that they have more compression then a lowered LGT suspension (stock or Bilstein) helps a lot.

I tried the brakes out today (a nice springish day with everything melting, pavement warm but wet). The rears lock-up before the fronts. The car wants to spin as soon as you lock them up. If I have the ABS on it is a lot more manageable, but the initial tendency is for the car to go into an oversteer state.

I tried the brakes out today (a nice springish day with everything melting, pavement warm but wet). The rears lock-up before the fronts. The car wants to spin as soon as you lock them up. If I have the ABS on it is a lot more manageable, but the initial tendency is for the car to go into an oversteer state.

This is not exactly what I'd like to hear. I have a set of KWs waiting for install.

KWs certainly change the spring rate ratio front/rear. For example Pinks are 4/6kg front/rear. KWs are about 7/7kg front/rear.

OTOH, Zeal V6 came with 8/6kg springs, make the front even stiffer with relation to the rear. Keefe has not reported any ill effects with the setup, on the contrary he liked the stiffer front to reduce the dive under braking.

This is not exactly what I'd like to hear. I have a set of KWs waiting for install.

KWs certainly change the spring rate ratio front/rear. For example Pinks are 4/6kg front/rear. KWs are about 7/7kg front/rear.

OTOH, Zeal V6 came with 8/6kg springs, make the front even stiffer with relation to the rear. Keefe has not reported any ill effects with the setup, on the contrary he liked the stiffer front to reduce the dive under braking.

It would be nice if Keefe chimed in here. I haven't had the car get squirly on my with the ABS engaged, but I honestly think that the electronics cannot completely mask an unbalanced system.

Can you maybe cheat the F-to-R balance a little by changing the pre-load on the helper spring a little? I can't recall what these look like.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Can you maybe cheat the F-to-R balance a little by changing the pre-load on the helper spring a little? I can't recall what these look like.

Those helper springs hold the spring in place when little weight is placed on them, ie: when the car is on a hoist. They do NOTHING for actual spring rate that the vehicle sees.

Archived