LegacyGT.com

Legacy Specific ACT Clutch. I WIN!!

sleepin gt

I got tired of reading through the thread after about 16 pages. What's the end word here? I know that we go with the 06 OEM WRX flywheel, but which ACT clutch kit do we run, LGT specific or 06 WRX specific. I'll be needing to do a kit in the coming months. Sorry for being lazy.;)

05 STI CGM~520whp/463wtq...more to come!

08 STI Aspen White/Gold BBS~305whp/365wtq:D

Both tuned by Scott Siegel!

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^

The ACT HD clutch being discussed is for both the +05 LGT and the +06 WRX. It will fit either car.

http://www.advancedclutch.com/1432597/0/0/0/2006_SUBARU_IMPREZA_WRX_H4_2.5L_T_FI_(EJ255).html

Most of us are using the SB5-HDMM clutch (420ft.lbs.). For flywheels you can opt for a +06 OEM WRX fly (@$200, @24lbs.) or the ACT lightweight flywheel (@$250, 13.5lbs.) Many opt for the OEM fly which gives a very stock like feel with a little bit quicker revs. The lightweight will rev faster, but is a little tricker to learn to drive as you need to keep the rpms up to prevent chatter. So you just have to pick which one is for you.

Thanks guys! Just wanted to make sure. I opted to keep the stock flywheel on my STI with my ACT sprung 6-puck. And will likely pick the OEM WRX flywheel for the Leggy. I'll need a new clutch on the LGT a little down the road if I decide to keep it. I might trade her in on an 08 STI. Dunno right now...

05 STI CGM~520whp/463wtq...more to come!

08 STI Aspen White/Gold BBS~305whp/365wtq:D

Both tuned by Scott Siegel!

with the break in period over I've had a couple of chances to cut loose... literally. no issues starting a 4wheel drift coming out of a corner... safely of course no other cars around. so far she's holding everything i throw at her. (stage 2 TDC tune..full turbo back + Perrin TMIC) only got "the stink" once early on...maybe 200 miles in...let the clutch out too slow on an incline with too much gas. only thing stinking now are the tires...WHEN I LIGHT THEM UP!

Me = :)

From what I've read I'm thinkging....my best solution is....

ACT, SB5-HDMM street clutch (@$575)

06 WRX OEM Fly ($200...Free with subie bucks)

I'm slippin and it keeps getting worse. Want good drivability in stop n go, low to no chatter and not spend a ton of cash.

Anyone have a run down of particular things to communicate to the installer?

1. Clean Fly (can do myself i guess)

2. The spacer must be installed between the flywheel and the pressure plate (thanks Rodan)

3. Get WRX flywheel bolts to replace the P.O.S. stock legacy "strip and break" bolts

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

Well, the 2nd run through on the clutch only took about 3.5 hours...

Other than the miscue, which could have been easily prevented if ACT had their act together and just put one piece of paper in with the flywheel about the spacer, it went smoothly.

Now, about the clutch: FANTASTIC! About the same pedal as stock, maybe a little heavier. We've been dealing with the one-leg max weight press of the RPS /MTS setup for a year, so my leg may be a little mis-calibrated. Engagement is smooth, and up off the floor, so you have lots of control. I was running the same weight flywheel on the RPS/MTS setup, so no difference there, and I like the Streetlite setup on this car. You've got to concentrate a bit more when heel & toeing downshifts (compared to stock), but it's worth it for the better throttle response.

Oh, BTW, here's a couple of pics of my clutch release lever, that was the cause of this adventure (the RPS/MTS clutch/PP and ACT flywheel all are in perfect health... maybe I can find an RS owner who wants it cheap!):

Sorry about the fuzzy pic, my macro didn't seem to be on the ball this morning...

Late to this thread but I figured I'd chime in some....

This type of fork failure happened to me as well at around 11k miles on my RPS setup. The only conclusion I could come to was the RPS pressure plate is too stiff for the "weak" shifter fork of the legacy and this failure can certainly occur. This failure occured while I was using the stock LGT release bearing.

I replaced the RPS setup with a RS2.5 ACT HD 6-puck kit, N/A release fork and bearing I had in stock. It was working great up until the motor got pulled out of the legacy recently. Pedal feel was night and day due to the way RPS makes their torque capacity through the pressure plate. The RPS worked well for me and others; it certainly wasnt for everyone.

As for comments about me and/or the RPS group buy; the RPS kits were the best option we had available at the time for torque capacity they offered. If you recall, the next best thing was a ACT RS2.5 street setup originally tested by Harmon, and was rated for something like 300ftlbs of torque. Cobb sold it as a "legacy GT kit" with 400+ ftlb capacity, which I promptly returned to them when I found out it was just an ACT RS kit. Talk about "dupping"... So, I went out and found RPS and tested their kit on my car and it worked. I offered BIG discounts to get them sold because they would only let me buy 5 at a time. I wanted others to cut 12.7 E.T's like I was with mine. Several people bought them and liked them. Up until the fork failure it was working great on my car. To say I duped or misled anyone is b.s. The last and final G.B. I did, RPS F@@ked all of us over. I lost hundreds on that deal and I stopped carrying RPS because a) the fiasco of being lied to on manufacturing statuses and b) the failure rate of that batch of clutch kits. RPS has a good repuation in several communities but they failed us on this occasion.

I've tried to have my old phone numbers removed off this site but they stay up none the less; if you feel the need to talk to me you can do so here via pm, thread, or better yet via email at rob@marylandturbo.com.

$550 for this kit is a steal; in fact near cost for most; I'm sure if you ask a vendor here to install your clutch they will give you a similar deal on pricing. The only problem is getting them in stock as there's a national shortage. Search around (vendors on this site, or ebay) and I'm sure you will find a great deal.

Ciao!

-Rob

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

.......RPS F@@ked all of us over.

+1

Rob, you did what you did to try to bring a good product to the LGT community and unfortunately it bit you in the a$$. The members of the GB went out on a limb too by buying an untested product :spin:and quite literally paid for that assumption.

Sucks for us, but fortunate for everyone else this new setup is AWESOME! I loved it until I sold my LGT :(.

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

Fit and Work are two very similar words. If they just left it at that and said "it will fit" instead of "I don't know if this will work, but it will fit and bolt up" then I would be more inclined to put the blame on RPS.

The ACT setup that we are using on the LGT is actually made for the 06+ WRX, however it also happens to both fit and work beautifully :) The part numbers are SB5-HDMM for the clutch kit which can be paired with either an OEM 06+ WRX flywheel or the ACT Streetlite flywheel (600480).

I've been trying to follow this thread and figure out what the "this new setup is AWESOME!" is since I would like a new clutch setup right away. Got a link or pointer to this "new setup"?

The King of Parts...'06 WRX Fly...$200 (or "free" if you have 200 subie bucks)

Purchase your clutch through your installer and get a deal...@$550.00

Install....$400-$500.

"link"....read the previous pages of this thread.

an 06 WRX fly will fit an 05LegacyGT?

What are "Subie Bucks"?

Yes the 06 WRX fly will fit the LGT provided you use an 06 WRX clutch.

Subie Bucks = 3% back on all purchases using the Subaru Master Card. 3% comes back to you in the form of 100 subie buck vouchers. They can be used for parts, service or towards the purchase of a new vehicle. Thekingofparts excepts them as they are a dealer and have great prices (btw they sell ACT all OEM stuff) You can also purchase subaru bucks on here from other members....usually $75 per 100. Check the classifieds. (note: you'd have to use subie bucks from one person per item purchased. Example....$500 clutch you can't use 300 from Jo Shmo and 200 from Eddie Money. You need the same name on them per transaction)

Archived