LegacyGT.com

Legacy Specific ACT Clutch. I WIN!!

sleepin gt

I just got my ACT clutch and FW in the mail and I noticed that I only got 6 FW bolts and there are 8 holes to fill? Am I missing something? Also I do not see any spacer ring in my FW assembly.

As per Rodan:

"The flywheel comes with a ring attached to it with those little plastic friction things. I assumed this was packaging protection (I've done lots of clutches, although this is my first Subaru, and I've seen that before)... it's NOT. The spacer must be installed between the flywheel and the pressure plate, or you will not have enough travel for the clutch to disengage... don't ask me how I found this out... it would be nice if there was just one slip of paper in the packaging saying this..."

ignore him, he'll go away.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As per Rodan:

"The flywheel comes with a ring attached to it with those little plastic friction things. I assumed this was packaging protection (I've done lots of clutches, although this is my first Subaru, and I've seen that before)... it's NOT. The spacer must be installed between the flywheel and the pressure plate, or you will not have enough travel for the clutch to disengage... don't ask me how I found this out... it would be nice if there was just one slip of paper in the packaging saying this..."

Ok I think I know what you are talking about. It is a metal ring around where the pressure plate will bolt up to and the ring is maybe 1 or 2 mm thick. I hear ya on the peice of paper, but then again that would leave us with one less thing to talk abou there lol. Thanks for all the help! Now if I can only figure out why they only gave me 6 FW bolts instead of 8???

just got off the phone with Ben from http://www.rallysportdirect.com i have ordered the ACT SB5-HDMM clutch kit $616.65 with free shipping it is in stock and should be shipped today. i talked with him about the clutch issues that have been discussed here and what he said was the ACT is by far the best unit he has sold, no problems so far, he also said i need to buy the WRX fw and YES you do need the spacer. DO NOT TRY AND INSTALL THE ACT CLUTCH W/O IT he also said people who think they installed their clutch w/o it didn't realize it was attached to the WRX fw. ACT is also in the process of making their own fw similar to the WRX fw only with the spacer machined into the unit. now to find the best price for a WRX fw. bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

I just got my ACT clutch and FW in the mail and I noticed that I only got 6 FW bolts and there are 8 holes to fill? Am I missing something? Also I do not see any spacer ring in my FW assembly.

where did you buy it? bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Bosco Let me know how the install goes I've talked to P&L and after Christmas I'm going to drive up and have the same set-up installed.

thanks

:rolleyes:"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." :spin:

I didn't realize it was only 1 or 2 mm thick.

Maybe that is why my clutch take-up point was on the floor till the clutch broke in. Now it is 100%, but that took a few weeks.

A thin little spacer would have been all that was needed to solve my initial problems.

(SB5-HDMM / 06 WRX OEM fly)

got the gt back yesterday. no more slipping :) driving it easy however during the break in period.

pedal feel: feels no firmer than stock...actually might be a little softer overall.

engagement: mild resistance...half way down gets firm...then last half she releases will very little resistance.

impression: different. will take a little to get used to it. she catches higher and a good bit faster. need a tad more gas when starting out in 1st. chatter once...first time starting out in 1st gear. just needs a little more gas. by the time i got home, 50 miles later, i was almost used to the new "feel". i can't wait to really let her rip. I think the main cause of the different feel is the single mass fly vs. the dual.

Let you guys know more once I get some more time in the car.

Shout out to Andrewtech. Very nice bunch of guys.

btw...my stock fly and pp had some scorch marks and the fly had a tiny crack. The fly might be able to be resurfaced :confused:. Might post it up for cheap if anyone is interested.

happy thanksgiving.

FYI a lot of the guys who work at Suby dealerships will do work on the side and are allowed to every now and then so if you are friends with one of them or know someone in a service department, try and ask them what they would charge. Most of the time they will be between 3 and 4 hundred... sometimes less.

bosco,

PM sent.

btw..getting used to the new feel. man she grabs...I just wanna floor it! (can't though...break in period :( )

once you're in gear, give it all the gas you want. Its the slipping during engagement/release of the clutch pedal that needs to be babied for the break-in miles.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Archived