LegacyGT.com

Legacy Specific ACT Clutch. I WIN!!

sleepin gt

***WARNING*** for those of you doing this install yourself, or having it done by a shop that hasn't done one before:

The flywheel comes with a ring attached to it with those little plastic friction things. I assumed this was packaging protection (I've done lots of clutches, although this is my first Subaru, and I've seen that before)... it's NOT. The spacer must be installed between the flywheel and the pressure plate, or you will not have enough travel for the clutch to disengage... don't ask me how I found this out... it would be nice if there was just one slip of paper in the packaging saying this...

Back to the garage to start over...

BTW.. Ian... THANKS! And don't think I'm pissed at you guys, 'cause I'm not.

ignore him, he'll go away.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As well as the spacer issue, has anyone had any issues with misfires due to installing the streetlight FW? My local tuning shop told me that they never recomend a lightened FW on any subarus due to the fact that they make the car think it is misfiring or actually misfire? I just want to know if this is something that holds any merrit among all of us on LGT.com as I will be installing the ACT street kit and FW this week, and want to know if I should just get the stock WRX FW.

If you want max performance, go with the streetlite.

If you want better driveability go with the WRX.

I don't have any issues with the lightweight fly...other than known issues with lightweight flys on ANY engine. Easy to stall being the biggest issue.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

As well as the spacer issue, has anyone had any issues with misfires due to installing the streetlight FW? My local tuning shop told me that they never recomend a lightened FW on any subarus due to the fact that they make the car think it is misfiring or actually misfire? I just want to know if this is something that holds any merrit among all of us on LGT.com as I will be installing the ACT street kit and FW this week, and want to know if I should just get the stock WRX FW.

No problems with misfire codes as long as you don't also have a lighten crank pulley. The combination of the two can throw misfire codes on some cars.

I talked to ACT on the phone. They said older flywheels (pre-'06) needed the spacer because of a recess near the center (something like that). They said newer flywheels did NOT need the spacer because the recess was not there (or something like that).

I talked to ACT on the phone. They said older flywheels (pre-'06) needed the spacer because of a recess near the center (something like that). They said newer flywheels did NOT need the spacer because the recess was not there (or something like that).

On the phone ACT said older (pre-mid 05s) could use the OEM fly.:spin:

I have yet to see any evidence of a change.

No problems with misfire codes as long as you don't also have a lighten crank pulley. The combination of the two can throw misfire codes on some cars.

Thanks, I do not have a lightened crank pully so I guess I am good there. Just to clarify one more thing, when that happens is it actually misfiring? or is it just throwing a code?

On the phone ACT said older (pre-mid 05s) could use the OEM fly.:spin:

I have yet to see any evidence of a change.

I wasn't being specific to the model year of the vehicle, just of the flywheel. I presume you're talking about pre-mid 05's Legacy's?

So, in bottom line terms, if you are going the route of an ACT clutch kit and an '06 WRX OEM flywheel, you do NOT need a spacer. That is what I was told by ACT.

I wasn't being specific to the model year of the vehicle, just of the flywheel. I presume you're talking about pre-mid 05's Legacy's?

So, in bottom line terms, if you are going the route of an ACT clutch kit and an '06 WRX OEM flywheel, you do NOT need a spacer. That is what I was told by ACT.

I am just saying it wouldn't surprise me if ACT has some facts wrong. They did before.

I have yet to hear of anyone that has an 06 WRX fly not working with an ACT or any other 06 WRX PP and disc.

just got this today in an e-mail which set-up do i want? #3? will it work with the WRX flywheel? need your thoughts now! thanks bosco

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/transmission-clutches-c-21_403_404_780.html

Yes, that is the proper part number and it does work with the 06 WRX OEM flywheel

just got this today in an e-mail which set-up do i want? #3? will it work with the WRX flywheel? need your thoughts now! thanks bosco

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/transmission-clutches-c-21_403_404_780.html

FYI it is also back up on ebay for $548 shipped, I plan on picking one up soon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180182214908&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:VRI

FYI it is also back up on ebay for $548 shipped, I plan on picking one up soon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180182214908&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:VRI

thanks thats even better. do have you any experience with this vendor or eBay in general? i guess what i mean is what should i look out for if anything?

so this clutch/pp is really for a WRX hence the WRX fw :lol: i should read more.

bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

The only company that currently sells a aftermarket clutch for our dual mass flywheel is Spec the Exedy Act and others that work with our cars are for the Wrx Single mass flywheel or a similar designed LW flywheel.

for ref. our flywheel is 30+ lbs. Wrx is only 23 and no worry about chatter and stalling as much as a 11-14 lb. LW flywheel.

:rolleyes:"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." :spin:

Ask vendor We Sell Car Parts they gave me some killer prices on 06+ wrx clutches Spec stage 2+ for less than the Act on E-bay.

I didn't get the price on the Act from them yet.

:rolleyes:"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." :spin:

Just throwin' this out there, but I prefer to spend $50 more than the cheapest price out there to deal with a well known vendor. The difference in price will pay for itself if the sh!t hits the fan and you need customer service. But that's just me.

Just throwin' this out there, but I prefer to spend $50 more than the cheapest price out there to deal with a well known vendor. The difference in price will pay for itself if the sh!t hits the fan and you need customer service. But that's just me.

i was thinking the same then i Googled "importblowoutsales" they look like a pretty large company. i still have a couple of days, thoughts? bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Archived