LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy Gt Sti (jdm)pinks Review..

Myles is correct as I do take these parts and use/abuse them to ensure you guys are getting what you are expecting.. We try to ensure that the part we test/try out can support the higher level of performance driving even if you as the normal consumer dont drive that hard (so that you are getting all the performance you need out of the part you are buying). I opt to use autocrossing more as a testing ground because of the lower speeds used in Solo2 Motorsports that can be related to some of the public road speeds as a consumer [I]could[/I] drive (10mph u-turns, 45mph-60mph "emergency" lane change speed, tops). Not many of us do track events, but some of us (and I wont name any names ;) :lol: :p ) do drive on the highway as if it was a race track (some of us out there do need some reality checks and check that speedometer once in a while when driving on a public road). IMO, I think highway public driving is more dangerous than on a road course for some seat time/spirited driving. Keep it safe out there. Performance parts are one thing, but dont let them get to your head. What Racecomp Engineering offers you consumers (as well as for me) are top quality products that will deliver the performance you desire for your car for whatever needs you wish to satisfy. Not everyone need/want coilovers, especially if it's a daily driver that never see past 45% of it's performance potential to begin with (unless the person wants the coilovers for the sake of having it, Racecomp Engineering doesnt have a problem selling to a person of that want for it either :p ) As for dealer-installation is concerned, The STi mini-brochure *(for the Impreza) at the Subaru dealerships will have an ** next to certain things that are not covered by the warranty.. and I quote: "** Parts with 2 asterisks sold "as is" without any warranty coverage. Intended for off-highway application only. May bring vehicle out of compliance with safety and/or emission standards. Can only be lawfully installed by end user. See dealer for complete details" Those listed for the WRX STi parts includes: STi Stainless Mesh Clutch Hose STi Air Duct Hose STi Brake Hose Set (Stainless Steel Brake Lines) KYB AGX Performance Strut Set (for GC6/GC8) = #SOA837Z1100 Eibach Performance Springs Set (for RS/WRX) = #SOA855Z1100/#SOA855Z1200 STi Performance Suspension Kit (includes WRX Upgraded Struts, Alum. Cont. Arms, Front Sway Bar, and Bushings) STi Strut Mounts (Front and Rear) STi Bushing Kits (For Rear Trailing Links) STi Rod, Pitch Stopper (Reduce Engine movement) STi Motor Mounts STi Tranny Mounts STi Transverse Link Bushings (for front control arms) STi Strut Tower Brace (Carbon Fiber) STi Strut Tower Brace (Steel, Front and Rear) STi Muffler Hangers STi 5mm Clutch STi 5mm Clutch Cover STi 8mm Clutch STi 8mm Clutch Cover STi Lighten Flywheel STi Drop-In Air Filter STi Timing Belt SOA Rear Differential Protector STi Radiator Cap STi Radiator Hose Set SPT Air Intake SPT High Flow Intake Filter There's probably more I missed, but it's just something to remember that even though it's dealer installed, Subaru of America have their own clauses of what STi parts to sell that can be covered with a warranty or not.. so as far as installing STi parts by the dealer, talk to the dealer to see if the STi parts you wish to put in would void any warranties and such. Every dealer have their ways of doing business. Keefe
Keefe

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='MtnSub']Patagoniawrx, sounds like my previous post sent an un-intended message. I meant it when I said some people will have "good" reasons to buy from specific supplier other than Myles. Also good for people to have part numbers for reasons you just outlined. Of course we all want a competitive price, that goes without saying. I would pay a little more to deal with someone I know and can communicate with, but price must be in range. Lowest on the net is not always best deal. Didn't mean to dis your comments in anyway, not my style. I did want to be sure that all knew RaceComp had info and parts on their site. Note, my dealer, a very good dealer said dealers are not supposed to install Sti springs and warrantee does not cover damage associated with part install or use. Dealer does not sell Sti Pink springs yet. Can sell Sti parts and actual part is waranteed, but can only install certain Sti parts under warrantee and apprved by Subary for NorAm.[/QUOTE] No problem MtnSub. I just didn't want anyone to think I was picking someone's brain and their hard-earned experience, only to go buy from the cheapest guy in town. I used to work in a hi-end retail electronics shop right across from a Costco, and believe me, we drove some of the business to them because we informed the consumer about design info and real-world recommendations and they went right across the street and bought at a lower price from a self-serve warehouse. LOL....they would have the nerve to actually come back over and ask us to support it too. How politely can you say 'go pound sand'? I agree with the idea of a fair price and not necessarily the cheapest. You get what you pay for. We used to have a sign over a door at my old job......"We offer price, quality and service - pick two" As a rule, it is always best to deal with a local business if you can. I try to do this as much as possible, as it makes issues easier to resolve.

Some days you just can't say anything right, but I will try again. First, I am not concerned about a problem or warrantee issues for using the PINK Sti springs for Leg GT, as long as I have it done by experienced technician and use correct part number for Leg GT. I absolutely believe in the great testing work and balanced reporting of results by RaceComp. RaceComp’s perspective of the PINK Sti springs is supported my many experienced Suby customers on this site, even gtguy and he does not approve of much (humor). Since my Suby dealer called today to tell my car VIN# and give my Nov 8, delivery date, I asked the service mgr if they would install PINK Sti springs for me and would they impact my warrantee. He said he hoped to have a new SOA policy next year that was more in-line with market expectation, but today he could NOT install PINK springs for me. Yes some dealers in So Cal have done it and the dealer backs the install, but SOA does not. As a new Suby owner, I was under impression that Sti parts were Suby OEM parts and if installed by qualified dealer, they did not compromise your warrantee. My assumption is true for some Sti parts and not others and it is not true for the PINK Sti springs for the Leg GT, “at this time”. I put aftermarket springs on a BMW that were not made by BMW and were not as perfectly matched to the car as the Sti Pink Leg springs and had NO problems in four years of hard driving. This in no way reduces my interest in the PINK Sti springs or concerns me. Others in this thread said they were going to talk to their dealer about the Sti springs. I did and reported what I heard. Even my dealer thought the PINK Sti springs are great and hoped (maybe a new SOA policy) to be able to provide Sti springs for Leg GT and other parts under warrantee, next year. If I have stepped in “it” again with this post, I give up for today. All I can say is that RaceComp/Xenonk’s work and continued testing on the PINK Sti spring issue is great new info, and I will be ordering PINKs before long. They will fit my wants perfectly I am not concerned about any maintenance or warrantee issues. I also have no problem with ordering PINK springs from RaceComp for install in Calif. We are talking about OEM springs for crying out loud.

[quote name='MtnSub']Some days you just can't say anything right, but I will try again. First, I am not concerned about a problem or warrantee issues for using the PINK Sti springs for Leg GT, as long as I have it done by experienced technician and use correct part number for Leg GT. I absolutely believe in the great testing work and balanced reporting of results by RaceComp. RaceComp’s perspective of the PINK Sti springs is supported my many experienced Suby customers on this site, even gtguy and he does not approve of much (humor). Since my Suby dealer called today to tell my car VIN# and give my Nov 8, delivery date, I asked the service mgr if they would install PINK Sti springs for me and would they impact my warrantee. He said he hoped to have a new SOA policy next year that was more in-line with market expectation, but today he could NOT install PINK springs for me. Yes some dealers in So Cal have done it and the dealer backs the install, but SOA does not. As a new Suby owner, I was under impression that Sti parts were Suby OEM parts and if installed by qualified dealer, they did not compromise your warrantee. My assumption is true for some Sti parts and not others and it is not true for the PINK Sti springs for the Leg GT, “at this time”. I put aftermarket springs on a BMW that were not made by BMW and were not as perfectly matched to the car as the Sti Pink Leg springs and had NO problems in four years of hard driving. This in no way reduces my interest in the PINK Sti springs or concerns me. Others in this thread said they were going to talk to their dealer about the Sti springs. I did and reported what I heard. Even my dealer thought the PINK Sti springs are great and hoped (maybe a new SOA policy) to be able to provide Sti springs for Leg GT and other parts under warrantee, next year. If I have stepped in “it” again with this post, I give up for today. All I can say is that RaceComp/Xenonk’s work and continued testing on the PINK Sti spring issue is great new info, and I will be ordering PINKs before long. They will fit my wants perfectly I am not concerned about any maintenance or warrantee issues. I also have no problem with ordering PINK springs from RaceComp for install in Calif. We are talking about OEM springs for crying out loud.[/QUOTE] You said it better than I could. I agree 100%. I am even getting my car the same day as you. :D

[quote name='MtnSub']Some days you just can't say anything right, but I will try again. RaceComp’s perspective of the PINK Sti springs is supported my many experienced Suby customers on this site, even gtguy and he does not approve of much (humor). They will fit my wants perfectly I am not concerned about any maintenance or warrantee issues. I also have no problem with ordering PINK springs from RaceComp for install in Calif. We are talking about OEM springs for crying out loud.[/QUOTE] Well, I don't approve of much, and am still interested in knowledge about things such as bump compliance (large and small) camber change, back-to-back drives of a stock GT vs one equipped with the pink springs to note precisely the differences, any overall compliance changes. These can be expressed as a percentage of stock, from changed to not changed much, to dramatically changed. So I wouldn't go so far as to say that I "support" anything, though it much also be said that RaceComp doesn't need said support. Also, the pink (technically cherry red, but still...) STi stuff is "aftermarket." They aren't OE on any car that is sold in this market (or any other) by Subaru, which makes them indeed aftermarket. Now, like all STi bits, they are made to OE quality, fitment and finish, to be sure, but they aren't technically OE. Having said that, I don't think that anyone has to worry about the STi springs making anything break on their cars. The drop isn't silly, and it doesn't sound as if the spring rate is asking the struts to do a lot more than they usually do. That such things might occur would be wholly uncharacteristic of STi and the products offered by that arm of Subaru. STi usually means "buy with confidence." Kevin

[quote name='Hero']This may sound like a somewhat stupid question, but will the Pinkys work on an Outback XT? How about Legacy sway bars as well?[/QUOTE] I'd say that they would not work do to the differences in suspension. The Outback gets the extra ground clearance somehow, so I imagine the springs are different.

Nicely put Kevin. I would have to say "yes, it's not OE parts." Oh yea, as promised to get you all the numbers on the parts, STi grouped the Springs into 3 different sets of STi springs for the BL/BP chassis. BL is sedan, BP is wagon. The Front Springs have 3 part numbers for each of the following: ST20x3xx1000 for BL GT Auto; BP GT Auto ST20x3xx1010 for BL GT Manual, BL GT-B Auto; BP GT Manual, GT-B Manual/Auto ST20x3xx1020 for BL GT-B Manual The Rear Springs have 3 parts for each of the following: ST20x8xx1000 for BL GT Auto/Manual; GT-B Auto/Manual ST20x8xx1010 for BP GT Auto/Manual ST20x8xx1020 for BP GT-B Auto/Manual Just make sure you guys know that when are ordering the springs, let Racecomp Engineering know exactly what car you are ordering it for and which transmission you have, Myles doesnt read minds. If you dont know which transmission you have, you shouldnt be driving the car to begin with. For the 2.5i owners, sorry, these STi Springs are only available for the GT at this time. I do not have the JDM part numbers for the NON Spec-B shocks (non-yellow Bilstein ones). I'll have to spend more time later in the few weeks to find info on that. But from the way the STi springs are grouped (Spec B or not), the springs are designed to handle both Non Spec B and Spec B struts.. Just let Racecomp Engineering know which car you have so that they can order accordingly. Hope this help you all. Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='Th3Franz']I'd say that they would not work do to the differences in suspension. The Outback gets the extra ground clearance somehow, so I imagine the springs are different.[/QUOTE] That is correct, but it sure helps if I can get the VIN number for your Outback XT. Hero, you can PM me that info if you like and I'll find out how the suspension differences are.. I just need the chassis code for the Outback XT. But for now, I would have to say there is no STi Pink Springs for the Outback XT version. Just to make sure, definitely PM me your VIN number so I can go over the info that I have to compare. Keefe
Keefe

There is a chance of flurries here later this week :rolleyes: . But, the real snow doesn't usually hit until mid-December and lasts until about March. I will put the springs on as soon as I get them but I'll have snow tires on by then so impressions will have to take that into consideration. Still can't decide on which winter tires...better get my act together soon. If the aftermarket for the WRX is similar to that of the Leg then I suspect that other available spring options will have too much drop for my taste even though they may work fine (for a while anyway). I am willing to pay more for the STi parts for the same reasons expressed by Kevin and others. Tom

Sounds like two of us ordered Pinks for Wagons from Myles yesterday . I undrstand I am take a risk at my expense . I expect the fronts to work and the rear will sit too low . Without all the spring data of free lengths and spring rates [ which I think are non-liner on the Pinks ] it is hard to tell if it the will work right. I am of the school "try it - you can always take it out if it is that bad ".

My expectation is to machine shims to bring the rear height back to where I want and that they may bottom out if I have a heavy load on a rough road.

Eventually the right coilover will come but it sounds liike that maybe a long weight so "Pinks" for the time being.

Here is one of the front subframe spacers thar account for a lot of the height diffeence with the Legacy.

Pioneers expect to take arrows .

1761823065_FrontSpacer1.jpg.ff135d410b29b1dc056c75184e150cf4.jpg

Chucktoo, do you know what your chassis code is? I am sure the car will sit low, but I wont know for sure how low unless I can get some specs off your car.. the subframe is one thing (which will probably keep you from bottoming out anyways), but there's other factors as well. Keefe
Keefe

245/45/18 so tires need to stay below the wheel wells but not as far below as they are now. They are same rolling diameter as factor RE-92s so speedo is right on. 780 vs 775 revs/mile but over 2 " wider at tread. 9.1/7.0 . They are only on 7.5" wide rims since they were the only affordable ones in July when I bought the car - will upgrade to 8" next year when find ones that look closer to stock - I want a sleeper and the wheels not to give it away like they do now.

Archived