LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy Gt Sti (jdm)pinks Review..

I think alot of us are expecting alot more from the stock OEM struts than one should. The car isnt going to have the "top firm" feeling of a WRX, let alone an STi, so adding the pinks is a mild upgrade that is (IMO ) better than stock and has far more pros than cons, maybe even no cons at all. I have noticed with a full tank and luggage coming from the airport that yes, you can get some rear oscillation. But most of us I dont think,.are looking for coilover performance from just a lowering spring,.or at least I hope no one is that silly !! I question how cost effective the Bilsteins or any other brand who makes a strut for this car, really will be, as it wont be cheap. I think if any stiffer and it will sacrifice ride quality, which I feel is great with the pinks. Point is ,.you cant add one suspension component and think its gonna feel like the Bilsteins, or Zeals, both of which have much better dampening. What I think a person could expect, is a reasonable increase in spring rate and a quality spring that will work well the stock struts. From there you can build on a good suspension with the addition of sway bars. For alot of people this is fine. For the other group of us, we are like Tim from Tooltime, we want the dual remote reservoir, slow speed and high speed, compression and rebound adjustable shocks,....................for our golf cart...........:lol: I just think people are forgetting that this is sport GT car, not a tarmac special stage , or time attack car.........(lol) smile...... 944 turbo guy

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='RaceComp Engineering'] I just think people are forgetting that this is sport GT car, not a tarmac special stage , or time attack car.........(lol) smile...... 944 turbo guy[/QUOTE] No! Get outta town! You mean that I can't make this car faster than a Corvette, able to own at a track day, and STILL drive my mommy around town? That's it...the Legacy sucks. :lol: :lol: I think that people expect too much from the GT, period. Kevin

I'm on the fence as to how much to do to my suspension. I'd like a set of coilovers but realistically I'm not going to use them to their potential. I'm not going to race the car but I'd like to do some track days next year. I just don't like how much the car rolls on turns or dives with hard braking. I'm not expecting it to be perfectly flat while cornering either, though! If I wanted a Corvette I would have bought one. (Except no AWD;) ) Will the pinks make it significantly more controllable on the track? Also, do they come in black! :D tom

tom :)

just using them at the track is the potential you are looking at (any aftermarket shocks or coilovers). The pinks will give you a better response.. I like to think of them as an overall upgraded feel to the car. As for color, you can paint them black. They come in the STi Cherry Red as we all know it as "Pinks". Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='Xenonk']just using them at the track is the potential you are looking at (any aftermarket shocks or coilovers). The pinks will give you a better response.. I like to think of them as an overall upgraded feel to the car. As for color, you can paint them black. They come in the STi Cherry Red as we all know it as "Pinks". Keefe[/QUOTE] Thanks Keefe. Are you going to get a chance to do a few laps with them? Sorry, just joking about the color. But I would paint them black so no one would know. . . ;) tom

tom :)

Actually, talk to Racecomp Engineering as Myles will be the one doing the testing on that car with Pinks. I dont have the time to test them as my days and weekends are filled with other car projects and testing on the Zeals and tire setups. Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='fastgascar']These are Sedan springs mounted on a Sedan. The ride smoothness is 75-80% that of Stock. The car rides firmer than stock, noticeable to the owner of the car, but no one else will know there is a difference.[/QUOTE] I'm sold. That's the kind of ride quality I'm willing to accept for that performance. :D

[quote name='gtguy'] I think that people expect too much from the GT, period. Kevin[/QUOTE] Hmm... maybe. If they're expecting an Evo or STi beater. But I don't think all of us expect too much... all I'm looking for is essentially a GT with a "sport package," sort of like you can get from the factory with a 3 series BMW, because I'd compare a stock GT to a base 3 series... capable, but a tad soft. Sounds like the pinks provide something like that BMW Sport Package.

[quote name='RaceComp Engineering']yeah, yeah, yeah...I will get some tomorrow. No problem..............;) 944 turbo guy Myles[/QUOTE] Scratch that....I found a link. [url]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3337[/url]
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Myles and Keefe, Excellent work on this topic and thanks for your seat-of-the-pants, race-experience/daily driver reviews of the STI Pink spring upgrade. Hopefully, my LGT Wagon will be in the 2nd week of December. I'll spend some time with the stock suspension over the holidays and probably order the Pinks after the first of the year. I do intend to add a JDM OEM 20mm bar and bushings to the rear (replace the stock 16mm bar) to control the roll and would expect, based on what I've read here, that the Pinks will further flatten out and reduce the lean substantially. Not that it's been terribly obvious during my several, "spirited" test drives, just noticeable enough that I've catalogued it as a "needed" improvement. Beyond replacement tires, I don't see me needing to do anything else to this car to make it a perfect daily driver and capable of some weekend fun up in the mountains. Since we'll also be heading often to the snow, this appears to offer the best flexibility, lowered without too much drop, so I'm optimistic that this will work well for that application too. Thanks again for doing this. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

[quote name='RaceComp Engineering']No problem, thank the wifetoo, she wanted the pinks on more than me......she wears shirts that are made by a company called,."PINK"...so it was only natural to her......LOL Myles[/QUOTE] That's Thomas Pink...the shirts, that is. Not bad stuff. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']That's Thomas Pink...the shirts, that is. Not bad stuff. Kevin[/QUOTE] I was sure he was referring to PINK the straight-up R&B, bluesy rock, pop and dance artist who is making a big splash on the MTV and concert circuits. SBT

[quote name='Subietonic']I was sure he was referring to PINK the straight-up R&B, bluesy rock, pop and dance artist who is making a big splash on the MTV and concert circuits. SBT[/QUOTE] How'd you know?? :lol: 944 turbo guy Myles Williams [url]www.racecompengineering.com[/url] [email]sales@racecompengineering.com[/email] Racecomp Engineering LLC. 9123 Old Annapolis Rd. Suite 103w Columbia, Maryland 21045 410-730-RACE 410-730-5503 FAX 410-707-0108 mobile

[quote name='RaceComp Engineering']How'd you know?? :lol:[/QUOTE] Just a guess - Let's see, my two daughters and your wife - talk about Pink and how her music genres, her causes, and her logo wear are populating across the world. SBT

Great write up on the springs and feel. Quick question for ya, I've got a set or 04 STI Pinks that I ran on my 02 stg4 rex, can I use these on the Leg or are they different?? Also on the conversation of tires and rims etc, I put my 18x7.5,48 offset Zenki RCX Rims with 245/40 R18 Yokohama AVS-DB tires on the Leg and had rubbing under heavy acceleration, load, and corning. Never had an issue on the rex, but the Leg doesn't seem to like them. [quote name='RaceComp Engineering']How'd you know?? :lol: 944 turbo guy Myles Williams [url="http://www.racecompengineering.com"]www.racecompengineering.com[/url] [email="sales@racecompengineering.com"]sales@racecompengineering.com[/email] Racecomp Engineering LLC. 9123 Old Annapolis Rd. Suite 103w Columbia, Maryland 21045 410-730-RACE 410-730-5503 FAX 410-707-0108 mobile[/QUOTE]

Archived