LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy Gt Sti (jdm)pinks Review..

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='MtnSub']Wraith, are putting PINKs on a LegGT or OB/XT? Regardless, anxious to hear your experience, impressions. I plan to put PINKS on my Leg GT wagon after break in.[/QUOTE] They are going on a GT Wagon (MT)...not sure if they will make it to get on the car before the snows go on up here in NH...time will tell. Brian

Wraith, I bought my Prodrive Wheels from Belknap Subaru's aftermarket parts Dept. in Belmont NH. Small eworld. Wheels were actually drop shipped Prodrive in SoCal 40 miles from my home. More and more, it looks like PINK springs from RaceComp are the way for my street needs.

MtnSub- Heh...I have been to Belknap a few times...good bunch of people. It’s about 45mins NE of me. Prodrive wheels huh...I am actually looking at getting 18" P1s in Anthracite in the spring...think they would go well w/ the silver wagon. For me the Pinks were an easy choice. I don't want to go too low (snow clearance, dirt roads, Boston construction) but wanted to "button down" the ride and stabilize the weight transfer a bit. I suspect, based on how the car feels stock, I will still look at sway bars in the spring, because I feel the Pinks are going to be just the first stage in tuning the suspension on my Legy...man, glad I married an understanding woman... :D Brian

5 people and a full tank of gas and full trunk---------------------- very impressed with the Legacy this weekend,...I just knew it would bottom out and I would spin out in my own shock oil,..but it was a trooper. People in the car like the ride also,... ps. also impressed with the durabilty of the leather seats,...as we eat at "The Melting Pot",...so we had alot of cheeses, wine, etc........the rate of deflection proved to be incredible:lol: :lol: let just say ,..that our Legacy had 260hp that night........RSHP ( rear seat horse power) 944 turbo guy

Hey Wriaith, small world, too small in the case of 944 turbo guy's ride home with five guys full of melting pot. I have the same concern about snow clearance and steep driveways so the PINKS sound perfect. Waiting for more feedback/experience on the swaybar factor, but news from RaceComp/944 turbo guy makes me very confident about PINK spring addition. My wife can't believe I am buying a Suby and not a BENZ or BMW, so she thinks I am a bargin guy even if I buy a few more goodies for the Suby. Nobody including BMW had an AWD/MT/wagon as fun as the Leg GT.

[quote name='MtnSub']My wife can't believe I am buying a Suby and not a BENZ or BMW, so she thinks I am a bargin guy even if I buy a few more goodies for the Suby. Nobody including BMW had an AWD/MT/wagon as fun as the Leg GT.[/QUOTE] I wish my wife thought that, but something like 14 cars in 17 years probably nixed that :D I actually traded out of an Infiniti FX to get back into a Subaru. This wagon makes my 5th. There is nothing quite like them...kind of a cross between a Saab and an Audi. There really isn't anything out there that can match it for fun per $, except maybe my friend's Audi RS4...now how much to ship it from Germany ;) Brian

Mine dropped more like 20mm haven't scraped yet, and I hope that I never willl (knocking on wood) but you should be more aware of the hydro barriers/walkway curbs that you normally would clear when parking. My initial feel is that the springs are much better than stock, makes the car corner flatter and is more predictable, but the stock KYB dampners are too soft for them. That will have to be addressed @ a later time.

[size=2]racerdave, I'm ready to go whenever they arrive. Hopefully, they will land before the snow does so I can compare to stock with summer tires. If I can reach back into my driving memory far enough I will try to compare with my WRX with STi struts / springs. Some disagree with me but, in my opinion, an STi'd WRX wagon significantly outperforms a GT wagon (same wheels and tires) in cornering performance. Ride comfort is another story.[/size] [size=2][/size] [size=2]Tom[/size]

Well the feel I get is that when you are on the highway you hit a bump and on the rebound it feels more like a fast bounce, the dampner cannot control the movement so when you go over several bumps one after the other you get the standard lowered on stock dampners feel which to me has always been too much spring not enough control. I am not saying that it rides as if you heated the springs and that dampners are blown, but it IMO it is still not the perfect match, but it's a good start. [quote name='GTCanada']So you feel your car is now oversprung with the STi springs. This seems to contradict the experience of others. Can you describe the ride characteristics? Tom[/QUOTE]

Maybe I missed this...but did you put them on a wagon (OB or GT) or sedan? Just wondering if the added weight in the rear makes the Pinks behave differently on a wagon. Granted w/ different types for each body style you'd think 'no' but.... Brian

That's right either Koni's or Bilstein. I contacted the member who had them(bilsteins) for sale recently, but he has already sold them to another member. Oh well I guess I will have to wait until the US gets them. I could even settle for a set KYB AGX dampners for now.....

[quote name='Wraith']Maybe I missed this...but did you put them on a wagon (OB or GT) or sedan? Just wondering if the added weight in the rear makes the Pinks behave differently on a wagon. Granted w/ different types for each body style you'd think 'no' but.... Brian[/QUOTE] There are wagon-specific pink springs, that account for the weight difference. If someone put sedan springs on the wagon, this would make the rear less well-balanced. But if it's a sedan, that's a whole new question. The other question which nobody seems to have answered about these springs is the ride quality alteration. If the stock smoothness is 100%, where are the pink springs, percentage-wise? 90% 80% 92.3%? :lol: Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']There are wagon-specific pink springs, that account for the weight difference. If someone put sedan springs on the wagon, this would make the rear less well-balanced. But if it's a sedan, that's a whole new question. [/QUOTE] Yep...I know there are specific Pinks for each body style (BP/BL), but I didn't think we had any posts yet on them installed on a wagon. I just wondered if the additional weight toward the rear of the car due to USDM specific pieces (bumper, no-AL pieces) might affect it more than a sedan. Curious because I have some on order for my GT wagon and can't wait :) Brian

Archived