LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy Gt Sti (jdm)pinks Review..

In the long run, spending 50-100% more to get OEM quality parts like STi will cost you less. On my '91 CRX, I had to replace inferior aftermarket springs every other year as they would sag and leave you riding on the bumpstops. Made it look like I cut my springs vs. spending $1K on Koni's and H&R's (with install and alignment at the race shop). The car's handling was great for the first six months and then I was left feeling like I wasted my money. Funny thing, I had the same experience with the EBC brakes (maybe the shop was my problem?) You guys have me convinced the STi parts are what I am looking for, now that I outgrew my Honda and am movin into by first Scooby.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='gtguy']Further, STi designed those springs for that strut, since we apparently get the JDM GT (as opposed to GT-B (Bilstein)) dampers. [/QUOTE] Well many things have been taken for "apparent" in the past have been completely wrong. I'd like parts numbers, etc :)

I'd like them to include the STi pinks as a dealer-installed option, just like the STi short shifter. I'd go for the pinks straight outta the gate. What about you Kev? You going pink, or staying stock? (I have a hunch, but I'll keep it to myself. ;) )

[quote name='gtguy']Further, STi designed those springs for that strut, since we apparently get the JDM GT (as opposed to GT-B (Bilstein)) dampers. [/QUOTE]We don't get the JDM GT struts. Those are Bilsteins as well, just not as dampened as the Spec B struts. The only way the pink springs were designed for USDM struts is if STi designed them for the N/A JDM Legacy.

Xenonk, it makes no sense for me, with my driving skills to have a car with more capability than a stock Leg GT with better tires, BUT who said fun is logical. You are in the fun factor business and I agree that adding things to the Leg GT is not for the track, but for the pure fun of it. As you said, I may not test my Leg GT with great tires and PINKS to the limit at the track, but I still can tell how much better the car feels in my daily drive. I will be keeping a close eye on what you guys are doing. An ECU mod that gives less low end lag, without compromise top end? So much fun ahead. BTW, I am glad people are commenting on the value of buying Sti and other high quality gear. Great stuff, thanks

Does anyone have Subaru part numbers for the springs (sedan and wagon)? I would like to check with the dealer about sourcing them, if only for a baseline price. I will most likely get them from Myles, but have built a good relationship with the parts mgr. at the local dealer (after some serious nightmares with ordering OEM accessories for my Jeep). He 'owes' me a favor if you know what I mean. Obviously, getting the springs through 'official' channels and SOA may prove cost-prohibitive, but it would be helpful for someone to post the Subaru part numbers for future reference for us all. Keefe - Any details you could share with the group?

[b]SC GT, you're right...this information, apparently incorrect, was earlier in this thread, by RaceComp:[/b] <<We get the JDM 2.0 GT struts with big ole fat, whopper cheese american spring rates. ( I am talking about myself here, no flames please ) So yes we are very closely matched with this combo.>> [b]I found this bit about the JDM and other markets that get the Spec B:[/b] <<The Bilstein damper on the 2.0 GT and 2.0 GT spec. B versions has been modified in its valve construction. By optimizing the damping force at the initial low force ranges, vehicle stability is further enhanced. Other versions are equipped with dampers with layered-valve construction, which uses friction control oil to maximize driving comfort.>> I'd love to know the real answer, as Bilsteins are yellow, and we don't have them on the USDM cars. Kevin

[quote name='MtnSub']Xenonk, it makes no sense for me, with my driving skills to have a car with more capability than a stock Leg GT with better tires, BUT who said fun is logical. I will be keeping a close eye on what you guys are doing. An ECU mod that gives less low end lag, without compromise top end? So much fun ahead. Great stuff, thanks[/QUOTE] I wish more people are like you to know what you want out of your car. Not many people do and people just like to have the parts for the sake of having the parts.. but you're right, there is no logic in fun.. otherwise I wouldnt even BE on any forums or doing anything of this sort. The ECU mod and turboback exhuast would really make this car go crazy fast (maybe stock STi fast-er..) patagonianwrx- I'll have to see what the stock shocks are made by for the USDM GT. I am sure if I clean off the shock body and find something stamped in, there should be some understanding of what kind of shocks we are dealing with.. guys, remember, Japan definitely have some smoother roads by far than what we have here in the US. They have a different set up than we do anyways.. they have a smaller engine (running a 2.0 vs our 2.5)... so they have different weight issues to address. gtguy - dont be fooled by the color of the shocks.. just the other day when I was working with a stock Mazda Protoge MP5 (wagon) it already had a set of KYB shocks.. you'll be suprised of what we have in our cars, like Calsonic Radiators (it doesnt get anymore JDM than that). I'll see what I can find out with the stock setup.. but from my install and seeing how things are working mechanically, I dont think you guys will have a problem with the STi Legacy Springs on USDM shocks. I wouldnt worry so much about the long term effects when performance comes into play.. the more you ask for performance, the more you'll have to look into maintenance to keep the car in tip-top shape.. it's just the rules. That's why I change my oil every 2,000 miles or less.. I run my car that hard every day.. it sees redline at least a dozen times a day for my daily commute.. and I never had a problem with that kind of "spirited driving" on my WRX.. if it wasnt for my accident on the track with the WRX, it would still run strong with the stock clutch for a good 100,000 miles before I would have to replace the clutch. I plan on driving the GT with much fun everyday.. and I dont expect to slack off on the maintenance on it. Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='gtguy'][b]SC GT, you're right...this information, apparently incorrect, was earlier in this thread, by RaceComp:[/b] <<We get the JDM 2.0 GT struts with big ole fat, whopper cheese american spring rates. ( I am talking about myself here, no flames please ) So yes we are very closely matched with this combo.>> [b]I found this bit about the JDM and other markets that get the Spec B:[/b] <<The Bilstein damper on the 2.0 GT and 2.0 GT spec. B versions has been modified in its valve construction. By optimizing the damping force at the initial low force ranges, vehicle stability is further enhanced. Other versions are equipped with dampers with layered-valve construction, which uses friction control oil to maximize driving comfort.>> I'd love to know the real answer, as Bilsteins are yellow, and we don't have them on the USDM cars. Kevin[/QUOTE] Our source in Japan says that the Bilsteins, while available, are NOT standard on those 2 models, yet an option on both cars.............. 944 turbo guy

Good call on the maintenance, Keefe. I'm looking for essentially what MtnSub is... a GT that just feels a little more "eager" when you turn the wheel, nothing more. I'm willing to sacrifice a little ride quality to get it. I'd basically liken the GT to the base E46 325i. I want *my* GT to feel more like the 325i Sport Package... a little firmer, but much better in the turns. It sounds like the STi pinks are the way to go.

[quote name='Xenonk'] patagonianwrx- I'll have to see what the stock shocks are made by for the USDM GT. I am sure if I clean off the shock body and find something stamped in, there should be some understanding of what kind of shocks we are dealing with.. guys, remember, Japan definitely have some smoother roads by far than what we have here in the US. They have a different set up than we do anyways.. they have a smaller engine (running a 2.0 vs our 2.5)... so they have different weight issues to address. Keefe[/QUOTE] Part numbers for the Pink springs for the Legacy, not the OEM struts.

[quote name='patagonianwrx']Part numbers for the Pink springs for the Legacy, not the OEM struts.[/QUOTE] that's easy enough, the numbers are listed on the packaging/installation instructions are included in the shipment of the STi springs. I'll post up those numbers when I get home... Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='BoxerGT2.5']Can you PM the price and availability. ??? :) much thanks and appreciation. Also availabilty of the sway bars. Gotta stop the power mods....another ticket.. :lol:[/QUOTE] You can still get a speeding ticket of taking a turn too fast too ;) :lol: Keefe
Keefe

I am sure there may be reasons (local or vendor loyalty) some will buy from other sources, but I found the Sti Pink Springs on RaceComp Engineering site with prices and details for sedan and wagon springs, O5 or 04. I assume dealer will install for an hour or two of shop time charge regardless of where you buy the springs.

Suprisingly enough, some shops would take 4 hours for a spring installs.. a good shop with all the tools (including a good shock compressor) shouldnt take no more than 3 hours.. but normally, I have found most shops charge 4 hours worth of labor. Keefe
Keefe

Thanks for heads up on install time. Its been 8 years since I had my Eibachs installed on my BMW3 by DAZZ Racing. They had two guys do install and it seemed really fast. Second BMW3 came with sport package. I am sure dealer will want 4 hours. As long as it is done rihgt by a knowledgable tech and it is all under warantee, it is worth it.

until they charge you about $65~$75/hour ;) You're lucky you dont own a Ferrari, a typical oil change or "3000 miles" service from the dealer is $850.. you dont even wanna know what the brake jobs are on for those cars when you want the dealer to do it (it's as much as a mortage payment, if not, more). Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='MtnSub']I am sure there may be reasons (local or vendor loyalty) some will buy from other sources, but I found the Sti Pink Springs on RaceComp Engineering site with prices and details for sedan and wagon springs, O5 or 04. I assume dealer will install for an hour or two of shop time charge regardless of where you buy the springs.[/QUOTE] Prices and details, but not Subaru part numbers. Did you buy your car without shopping the price around? Of course not. Like I said, I am pretty sure I will buy from Myles because he has a good rep, but I want to see how (and if) my local dealer can handle it, if only to reinforce my decision to buy from RaceComp (and have them do the install too). On another note, it would be useful for others on this board (who are not local to Myles like I am) to have the Subaru part numbers. This ensures they get the right parts from whatever vendor they choose, and they get parts for a 2005 vs. an unscrupulous vendor passing of springs for an older car that weren't designed for the car the buyer owns. If RaceComp is the best source and best to deal with (which is what I have heard so far), then the product can stand on its own merits and sell itself. I fully expect to be singing Myles' praises on this board soon after I get my car and he takes some money from me. :lol:

Patagoniawrx, sounds like my previous post sent an un-intended message. I meant it when I said some people will have "good" reasons to buy from specific supplier other than Myles. Also good for people to have part numbers for reasons you just outlined. Of course we all want a competitive price, that goes without saying. I would pay a little more to deal with someone I know and can communicate with, but price must be in range. Lowest on the net is not always best deal. Didn't mean to dis your comments in anyway, not my style. I did want to be sure that all knew RaceComp had info and parts on their site. Note, my dealer, a very good dealer said dealers are not supposed to install Sti springs and warrantee does not cover damage associated with part install or use. Dealer does not sell Sti Pink springs yet. Can sell Sti parts and actual part is waranteed, but can only install certain Sti parts under warrantee and apprved by Subary for NorAm.

I apreciate the support I have from NAsioc members for the last year and now from this forum. I have always tried to give a outside the box perspective on most things related to driving and racing and since I have been in this business, on parts. If I suggest a products its usually something I have experienced before and believe in. While I have swapped my suspension on the STi many times,..I still have my JDM pinks with 41k on them, going strong with no strut failures. I have most of the products I sell and can tell people how they are in a street, track, backroad condition or potholed city daily driving. We dont autocross alot, as I did that 15 years ago with many accolades, and now we have some people who do it alot, and we get regular feedback all the time and they try new things before I talk about it in a thread, let alone sell it. We will continue to take this "use it and abuse it" before we sell it......approach with all of our products. [font=Arial][size=2][color=#0000ff][b]Myles Williams [/b][/color][/size][/font][url="aoldb://mail/write/www.racecompengineering.com"][u][font=Arial][size=2][color=#0000ff][b]www.racecompengineering.com[/b][/color][/size][/font][/u][/url] [font=Arial][size=2][color=#0000ff][b]sales@racecompengineering.com Racecomp Engineering LLC. 9123 Old Annapolis Rd. Suite 103w Columbia, Maryland 21045 410-730-RACE 410-730-5503 FAX 410-707-0108 mobile.[/b][/color][/size][/font]

[size=2]PS-[/size] [size=2][/size] [size=2]I have 3 sets of pinks for 2005 Legacy SEDAN in stock. @ 17:11 Tuesday. [/size] [size=2][/size] [size=2]I am headed to pick up my son and go watch SpongeBOB ,..so if anyone is interested. Give me a call 410-707-0108.[/size] [size=2][/size] [size=2]Myles[/size]

Archived