LegacyGT.com

Subaru Canada Debuts 2008 Legacy 2.5 GT Wagon, spec.B

Jon in CT

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well atleast US still have the fantastically awesome Dodge Magum SXT RT/10 and the Canyonnero. ;)

Despite the close proximity and to "outsiders" Canadians and Americans sound the same in conversation, both nation really differs in tastes. CDNs have more sensibilities much like the Europeans. Hence you see alot of efficient cars marketed there first than US like Smart or the EL Acuras. Whereas Americans value larger cars.

Well, that's just it, this is what I don't understand, and why the Legacy wagon has died. If you are shopping for wagons, with an automatic transmission, what's the value proposition of the legacy? AWD? You have a lot of choice for automatic wagons: The magnum, pretty attractive really if you can stand an auto, the Saab 9-3, the Volvo wagons V50 and V70, the mazda 6, the VW passat and jetta, mazda 3, A4, 3 series, A6, 5 series, Jaguar X-type, there are some pretty good cars in there, many with AWD.

SOA for some reason deliberately killed the legacy wagon. Difficult to understand as it is one of the most recognizable cars out there - everybody knows what a subaru wagon is. Sedans? Who needs another camry/accord/mazda6/V40/A4/325/malibu/taurus/etc etc sedan to shop?

There is interest from many on this board in the high power and awd combination, but except for that, what is the attraction to make it SPECIAL like the legacy wagon? Why would SOA eliminate everything but the Legacy sedan? Are they purposely killing that too?

Inquiring minds want to know.

But what about producing the same car in the same place but only offering it to one place and telling the other place that it doesn't sell well enough and thus it's too costly yet we're still going to make an EVEN SMALLER amount of the same car now and still sell them to the other place. :iam: WTF? :confused::lol:

As stated earlier, us Canadians will have the pleasure of paying at least $42,000 CDN for the pleasure of buying a Legacy GT wagon. Obviously SCI has determined that there are enough of us out there willing to pay that price which will provide both SCI and SIA with enough of a healthy profit per vehicle to justify producing them, that is how they can justify the cost of any GT wagon specifics on the assembly line. I don't know what 07 GT wagons were generally selling for in the States, but obviously SOA determined that they wouldn't be able to sell enough of them at cost equivalent to $42,000 CDN, the price point where SCI and SIA determined it would be profitable to continue making them.

I guess you could just say that us Canadians really love our Subarus, to be willing to pay so much for them, or we are just a bunch of big suckers, but at least we will still have a nice car to drive. :lol:

As stated earlier, us Canadians will have the pleasure of paying at least $42,000 CDN for the pleasure of buying a Legacy GT wagon. Obviously SCI has determined that there are enough of us out there willing to pay that price which will provide both SCI and SIA with enough of a healthy profit per vehicle to justify producing them, that is how they can justify the cost of any GT wagon specifics on the assembly line. I don't know what 07 GT wagons were generally selling for in the States, but obviously SOA determined that they wouldn't be able to sell enough of them at cost equivalent to $42,000 CDN, the price point where SCI and SIA determined it would be profitable to continue making them.

I guess you could just say that us Canadians really love our Subarus, to be willing to pay so much for them, or we are just a bunch of big suckers, but at least we will still have a nice car to drive. :lol:

True... I didn't take into account that they USED to start at $30k :( (thats about a GT LT MT Wagon base) down here. That's only $34-35k up there so they are adding about $7k in pure profit to you crazy Canucks! :lol: Oh well... I like sedans better. :p I just don't like to see stupid moves that affect our offereings...

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

This is excerpt from the auto show preview section in today's Toronto Star:

2008 Subaru Legacy/Outback

Subaru unveiled an updated version of the Legacy sedan at the Detroit auto show, with new front and rear styling as well as revised powertrain options.

Subaru Canada's approach to the 2008 Legacy will be quite different.

Our market is much more heavily focused on wagons than sedans (at least for Subaru), so company representatives say to expect a heavily enhanced wagon lineup as the headliner.

There will also be a high-performance version that builds on the foundation set by the Legacy 2.5GT spec.B sedan last year. (italics added) Further details were unavailable.

Subaru is just recognizing what was stated earlier, that the Canadian and American markets are different. We have always tended to buy less flashy more practical vehicles, therefore the prepondernce of mini-vans (from all manufacturers) and wagons up here.

I will be going to the show on Monday; if I can pry any info out of the Subaru reps regarding this high performance version, I'll be sure to post it here. :)

If they were selling 6MT SpecB wagon for $42k Canadian, I'd buy it... regular LGT wagon is overpriced for this money.

Try to get some info from them about the whole mystery of killing wagon in the US. Who was really behind their demise. Clearly there must have been opposing factions at SOA with respect to the issue. If they all hated Legacy wagons, we would not have had what I had in MY2005.

Does anyone have any info on when the new Cdn 08's will be ready for delivery.

if it's anything like the 07's were, late august/early september is when they showed up at my local dealer IIRC

this is actually extremely encouraging news. up until this point i thought SOC operated like some puppet of SOA, as i never heard them doing anything by themselves and we always got what the U.S.A got (did we even get STi Ltd?). Canada has always been lumped in the U.S.A since we aren't a big enough market ourselves, I LOVE BEING SPECIAL.

Our market is much more heavily focused on wagons than sedans (at least for Subaru), so company representatives say to expect a heavily enhanced wagon lineup as the headliner.:)

Man every time I read this thread I can even angrier....

:(:(:(:(:(:(

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

You know why there's no wagons LGT in US? If you follow the 08 WRX threads, you will quickly observed that people are miffed that there are no more WRX sedans but replaced by a 5-dr hatch. In North America, we are very sedan-centric. Wagon is still being perceived as a doppy woody-wagon of yesteryears. When I was in Europe, I saw much more wagons and in various stylish forms too. Well serve the US right I suppose...

btw, there will be a WRX sedan in 08. So no worries. :D

spec B sedan is $45k.... A wagon would be $47k ish

That is fantasy land, my friend. We won't be getting a Spec B wagon.:(

Best we'll be able to do is upgrade our wagons to Spec B specs.

Oh, wait. That's what so many of us have been doing for over two years now.:icon_wink

I was at the show this afternoon the Subaru Canada specs seems a bit different to the US, just one two points I noticed on the Plaque (I forgot to take a pic of it sorry) I did not see TPS mentioned nor Keyless start as was mentioned in the US.

Archived