LegacyGT.com

Bilstein HD review

bosco

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey! One of those crap cars was mine! :lol:

It would take a very very long time for the surface rust to turn into anything other than that and compromise the springs. Having said that my Swifts (+Bilsteins) show no rust that I can see...3 years (i think) in May.

That's right!!

I had KW V2 and compared them alongside Bilstein PSS'es. KWs are decent, but they are entry-level dampers compared to PSS'es. Not nearly as refined or well composed. And harsher as well, especially in the rear due to the lack of the rubber isolator between spring and the top hat.

unclemat - I'm asking this instead of searching because I know you'll be able to answer without blinking: :)

Are the Kw V2's essentially the same as the race-comp engineering version (albeit potentially with a different default setup), or does RCE get custom spring and damper rates and possibly slight differences in the build of the coilover?

Just curious. BTW, I don't think I've ever read a truly bad review of any of the Bilstein PSS systems. But you do pay for the quality.

I called bilstein USA they don't have legacy coilovers and they stated only maybe bilstein Germany may have these. So can u buy on japanparts.com or is there a bilsten japan. Does Germany make these. Unclemat do you have a part number. Where did u order yours at.

I called bilstein USA they don't have legacy coilovers and they stated only maybe bilstein Germany may have these. So can u buy on japanparts.com or is there a bilsten japan. Does Germany make these. Unclemat do you have a part number. Where did u order yours at.

Did you even look on japanparts??

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=1&car=6&middlesmall=3%3A9&maker=227&volkey=387-002-001

Before I got my Ksport coilovers in the group buy, I was going to get Tein Comfort Sports after some good reviews on the Forum:

http://www.tein.com/products/comfort_sport_price_list.html

The Ksports ahve heavier springs than I prefer for the roads around here, although once I get out of state on beter roads they are fine, and are great on the track. I do prefer coilovers, and the Teins are expensive but I feel they are worth it.

Ron

unclemat- do you have any recent pics of your wagon with the bilstein coilovers?
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? -George Carlin

unclemat- do you have any recent pics of your wagon with the bilstein coilovers?

Well, like any coilovers height (preload actually) is adjustable... car from outside does not look any different... I have some pics of the coils themselves somewhere, I'll post them when I find them.

Except for non-adjustable coilovers...
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Well, like any coilovers height (preload actually) is adjustable... car from outside does not look any different... I have some pics of the coils themselves somewhere, I'll post them when I find them.

Unclemat. Trying to find info on the bilstein spring rate with no joy. Did you get that info when you bought them? Also are they progressive or linear?

Sorry for the thread hijack, last question on these I promise ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Lots of useful information here. Given my current situation I believe I will be replacing my 07 Spec.B Bilsteins with Bilstein HDs all around. I will get pictures and measure travel of each. I believe that the the Bilstein HDs are identical to the Spec.B Bilsteins and that the price difference is just dealer markup, and hopefully the direct comparison will yeild some insight next weekend. I won't be able to comment on the ride quality comparison since I'm installing H Techs at the same time. Thanks for all of the info for those whove contributed to this thread.
lol

People have already confirmed that HDs are different and stiffer than stock Spec.B bilsteins

They are more aggressively valved, but the construction appears to be 100% the same.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I was in the same position as you. I ended up replacing all 4 struts with HDs. I think the two are almost identical. The difference would be tough to tell, especially if you change springs at the same time. In the end, I decided to replace all 4 only because I had 60k miles on the car... if I would have had 30k or less, I probably would have only replaced the front.
lol

Bilstein will rebuild them for you... but after 60k miles, I decided that my money would be better spent replacing all 4 rather than spending money to fix one with 60k on it. If you shop, you can get a set of HDs for $6xx, or about $150 each. Fixing 1 damaged one will run you between $100 and $200 depending on how severe damage is...
lol

• 4 months later...

Ok sorry if I didnt read each page, just posting this to save some time.

I have these same billstein struts and swift springs ready to go on my car... I just need help with the top hats. I want adjustable camber, im in the process in finding out if these cuscos im ready to order are adjustable. but does anyone have a part they know will fit on this strut and a 05 LGT? and if I am using a plate that has camber adjustment do I need any other parts for the install? also once I have the parts I can go ahead and assemble the shock with the spring to save some time, correct? thanks a bunch and hope to hear from anyone with some help.

Archived