LegacyGT.com

our cars apparently look too nice

I'm not sure why people are so ignorant about MA gun laws versus other states. If MA sucks, what to states that don't have CCW law, have purchase limits, waiting periods, or purchase taxes do? Not saying it's great, but there are 1 million gun owners in MA.

I vote for anything with a 4 in it....

You may have a great many gun owners in Mass. however you are treated like second class citizens to my point of view.

Your state is a may issue state for CCW. Your sherrif can deny you a permit if tehy see fit. A shall issue state gives the sherrif no right to deny a permit as long as you pass the required back ground check. There is a big difference there.

For a complete list of your laws follow this link.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=ma#ag

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Errr...NO! Not exactly your "weapon of choice" here, unless of coure you want collateral dammage when that 5.56mm round travels at 3,200+ fps right throught the would be "jacker" and into a few other people and residences.:(

What the hell kind of ammo are you using to get 3,200+fps out of a 10.5" AR!:icon_conf

I can't get that out of a 16" barrel. I can get close with a full 20", but only with 55-62 gr bullets, and the 62's are a little over 3,000fps.

Here is a more comprehesive link just on Mass. CCW laws. Very restrictive in some areas like Boston where permits are nearly impossible to obtain. Go to the section that lists localities with more or less strict laws or policies. Section VI to be exact.

http://www.packing.org/state/massachusetts/

I do not own any guns in Massachusetts, none, none I tell you.:icon_mrgr

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I vote for anything with a 4 in it....

Yes, I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46. :lol:

I have been wanting to pick up a .357SIG (should be called a .355SIG), I like the ballistics on that round, and I really like SIG's new DAK trigger group for a CCW. A P229 is in my future, I just have to wait about 90 days for my permanent resident status to be in affect.

If you REALLY want an 10.5'' AR15, get something like 45 grains ballistic tip ammo. Less chance of collateral damage because the bullet won't over penetrate and the incapacitation power is way superior on unprotected targets.

FMJ .223 ammo is known to have crappy incapacitation power when shot from a short barrel because of the lower muzzle velocity. FMJ ammo requires high velocity to fragment in the target and therefore cause a lot of damage.

But for concealability's sake, get a .40 or a .45.

.40 S&W SIG P226 FTW :icon_mrgr

Gee, I wish we had CCW. Up here in Canada, you can get in deep shit only if you get caught with a knife or a baseball bat in your car without a good reason.

This is why I have a sharpened entrenching tool in my trunk, "just in case I get stuck in the snow":icon_twis

e, I wish we had CCW. Up here in Canada, you can get in deep shit only if you get caught with a knife or a baseball bat in your car without a good reason.

This is why I have a sharpened entrenching tool in my trunk, "just in case I get stuck in the snow":icon_twis

When i lived in NJ, on a Grand Jury, The jury INDITED a guy for a FING towel rack in his car. I couldn't stop it, but I called the DA MR. ahole from then on!! I KNOW that you can indite a ham sandwich.:icon_mad:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Here is a more comprehesive link just on Mass. CCW laws. Very restrictive in some areas like Boston where permits are nearly impossible to obtain. Go to the section that lists localities with more or less strict laws or policies. Section VI to be exact.

http://www.packing.org/state/massachusetts/

Not the point. The point pertinent to this thread is that pleny of people in MA have CCW permits. Some states don't allow any civilians to have CCW - like Illinois, Kansas, Nebraska, Ohio, and Wisconsin. MA is one of eleven "may issue states." (Alabama, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island according to the Brady Campaign). Like LLizard I've had a CCW since I got out of the Army in 1985.

It's surprising in a way how many Subaru owners are gun owners, given how liberal the group is on average.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Not the point. The point pertinent to this thread is that pleny of people in MA have CCW permits. Some states don't allow any civilians to have CCW - like Illinois, Kansas, Nebraska, Ohio, and Wisconsin. MA is one of eleven "may issue states." (Alabama, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Iowa, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island according to the Brady Campaign). Like LLizard I've had a CCW since I got out of the Army in 1985.

It's surprising in a way how many Subaru owners are gun owners, given how liberal the group is on average.

You can add Kansas and Nebraska to the Shall issue states as of January 1, 2007.

Just out of curiosity, do you live in Boston? How would a resident of Boston obtain a permit if the sherrif or police department refuse to issue one? Can a Boston resident get one in a different town or county?

I find it odious that any state would deny a citizens right to self defense and the means to defent themselves. I find it almost as distasteful for a state to allow a bearueacrat, or some other individual to decide if you or anyone else has a "need" to have a CCW permit. That is how your state's laws are set up, you could pass the background check, and training requirements and be denied just because the issuing department doesn't want you to have one. In a shall issue state as long as you pass the requirements, the issuing department or sherrif HAS TO issue the permit by law; they can't discriminate against you for no reason.

Yes it is my weapon of choice given the stated situation. Even if one could get that much velocity out of a 10.5" barrel, I wouldn't be shooting ball ammo, but something with a polymer tip like a 55gr Hornady TAP or Federal TRU/Nosler load. At such close range, I would maintain enough velocity to cause full fragmentation of the round, not getting much overpenetration at all.

Errr...NO! Not exactly your "weapon of choice" here, unless of coure you want collateral dammage when that 5.56mm round travels at 3,200+ fps right throught the would be "jacker" and into a few other people and residences.:(

For most FMJ 5.56 like M855, the "magic" number is +2600fps.

If I had to carry the weapon on my person, I'd settle for a P229 in .40S&W...

...FMJ .223 ammo is known to have crappy incapacitation power when shot from a short barrel because of the lower muzzle velocity. FMJ ammo requires high velocity to fragment in the target and therefore cause a lot of damage.

But for concealability's sake, get a .40 or a .45.

Odd isn't it? Personally, I find myself on the liberal side of most political arguements, but when it comes to firearms, I feel this country is in serious need of gun control law reform.

Odd isn't it? Personally, I find myself on the liberal side of most political arguements, but when it comes to firearms, I feel this country is in serious need of gun control law reform.
Same thing here. Excessive gun control only makes things worse.

Yes it is my weapon of choice given the stated situation. Even if one could get that much velocity out of a 10.5" barrel, I wouldn't be shooting ball ammo, but something with a polymer tip like a 55gr Hornady TAP or Federal TRU/Nosler load. At such close range, I would maintain enough velocity to cause full fragmentation of the round, not getting much overpenetration at all.

For most FMJ 5.56 like M855, the "magic" number is +2600fps.

If I had to carry the weapon on my person, I'd settle for a P229 in .40S&W...

If I were to be given a choice of long gun in the vehicle for, close range defense of said vehicle I would go with a short barreled 12 guage using 00 or 000 buckshot. It worked fairly well for my unit in Iraq (Benelli M4) although the USMC purchased barrels that were too damn long on the shotgun.

I am looking to get a new upper for my AR something other than 5.56mm. Any suggestions? I have been toying with getting a 6.5mm Grendel.

6.8 SPC FTW.

This way you won't feel guilty for putting a shorter barrel on. :icon_mrgr

6.8 SPC is vaporware, and the ammo that has shown up is much lower in velocity than originaly intended. Even a short barrel on the 6.5mm allows you to take advantage of great balistic efficiency, and resultant velocity retention. No one is going to easily convince me that the miniscule difference in diameter will make a dmn bit of difference in terminal performance either.

For me, I would see that a problem with shot loads is still the concern with collateral damage. From what I've been told, a rifle cartridge fired out of a short barrel is still the choice of most PSD "operators".

If I were to be given a choice of long gun in the vehicle for, close range defense of said vehicle I would go with a short barreled 12 guage using 00 or 000 buckshot.

Unfortunately, the M1014 that you were equipped with over there was TC'ed with only two barrel options. I believe the longer barrel is equipped with a removable choke; the shorter with a non-removable choke. As far as I know, there isn't a "breaching" type short barrel offered by Benelli or by the aftermarket.

It worked fairly well for my unit in Iraq (Benelli M4) although the USMC purchased barrels that were too damn long on the shotgun.

There are too many choices out there nowadays when it comes to uppers for ARs. I'm not too familiar with 6.5Grendel, .458SOCOM, .50Beowulf or .499LW but I do know that like 6.8SPC, ammo will be pricey. I would go with one of the many .308 uppers for an AR if you really feel .223 to be insufficient.

I am looking to get a new upper for my AR something other than 5.56mm. Any suggestions? I have been toying with getting a 6.5mm Grendel.

Just out of curiosity, do you live in Boston? How would a resident of Boston obtain a permit if the sherrif or police department refuse to issue one? Can a Boston resident get one in a different town or county?

Not unless you live there!

ibtl, unsubscribe

.. yeah.

Ok, well, one last time, thanks to everyone for the kind words, and may this happen to none of us again! Be careful out there!

Mods, please feel free to lock as far as I'm concerned. Or if you guys want to keep talking about guns, be my guest.

Dagwood out. unsubscribed.

Archived