LegacyGT.com

our cars apparently look too nice

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, I didn't realize there was one there. Then again, I also thought it was a Shaw's, not Stop + Shop.

Yea Brigham Circle has been revitalized. They put in a Stop & Shop, Walgreen's, TGI Friday's Restaurant, Cold Stone Ice Cream, Bank of America, and a parking garage. Across the street is The Mission Bar which is an upscale bar that sells import beers that require special glasses for each type of beer, in a Financial District type atmosphere. They are trying to take the ghetto-out of Mission Hill. The college students have the spending money and since they have bought tons of property on the hill it just makes sense. Plus the more college students the safer the area, the more likely for new development.

I almost got carjacked tonight. I was driving into downtown Boston on Huntington Ave. - a high-traffic road which is, to my experience, very safe. It wasn't too late, maybe 9:30. ///

Huntington Ave is not at all safe - it's one of the highest crime areas in Boston, especially for property crimes. There are a ton of students in the area who don't have great situational awareness. The stats are at: http://www.bpdnews.com/crime_stats/ and other places.

The only person I know personally who was robbed at gunpoint in Boston was walking down Huntington Ave to Northeastern. Boston and New England in general have a relatively low rate of violent crime. The problem is that only about half of all violent crimes are reported. And if someone steals your car radio, then confronts you with a sharpened screwdriver, it's still a property crime. BTW that happened to a friend of mine, in Back Bay, in daylight.

Your response - boogy - was correct. You should certainly lock your doors pretty much anytime you're in Boston. I invite anyone armed to try and assess the situation and draw their from a seated position before responding smugly. No harm, no fowl.

Another caveat and this pertains to everyone everywhere. If you leave a laptop, GPS, MP3 player or other high-value item in your passenger cabin, expect it to get stolen - in Boston, burbs, wherever. Car thieves aren't bothering with cars anymore - they can get more for your laptop and GPS. Junkies don't care what time it is.

Glad you kept your situational awareness, you did the right thing. As a back up if you are frequently going to be in bad parts of town, I would try to get a concealed carry permit and take some classes someplace like Thunder Ranch. They will teach you a great deal about staying out of trouble and train you how to make it the last mistake a potential felon will ever make if they try to make you a victim.

Never mind you live in Massachusets, you have no right to defend yourself. Sorry.

Not sure why MA gets dumped on this way. There are at least 15 states that don't allow civilian CCW at all. MA allows it but requires a CCW carrier to be licensed. The requirements are set b the town you live in and vary from shall-issue to won't issues. Boston is more restrictive than in the past, but it is not uncommon. In Boston you do have to qualify at the police range, which is not difficult.

There's no need to go to Thunder Ranch as Sigarms Academy in Epping NH and Smith & Wesson are both within an hour drive of Boston. Many clubs also offer CCW courses. Folks are always surprised to learn that MA has more competitive shooting events than the other five New England states combined. One club I belong to has 2,500 members.

I would have turned around and ran them over, Or shot them with my trusty side arm.

Gald to hear you made aout alive!

You have a non-resident CCW for MA? They're difficult to get.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Something that supprises me about our cars is that they don't have speed sensitive locks. My dodge neon had speed locks that locked all the doors once you hit 10 mph and my $30k LGT doesn't :icon_conf . That feature alone would have stopped the guy from even being able to open the passenger door.

Something that supprises me about our cars is that they don't have speed sensitive locks. My dodge neon had speed locks that locked all the doors once you hit 10 mph and my $30k LGT doesn't :icon_conf . That feature alone would have stopped the guy from even being able to open the passenger door.

Your Dodge Neon most likely had an aftermarket alarm system installed with this feature.

Personally I find that very annoying as I am old enough to know when to lock my car. That feautre is definitely not a gauge of how luxurious or expensive a car is.

None of the high end cars that I have been in have a feature like that built in.

X

---

Your Dodge Neon most likely had an aftermarket alarm system installed with this feature.

Personally I find that very annoying as I am old enough to know when to lock my car. That feautre is definitely not a gauge of how luxurious or expensive a car is.

None of the high end cars that I have been in have a feature like that built in.

X

I bought the car brand new; it didn't have a aftermarket alarm on it. I also lock my doors after I get in the car; but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like the auto locks back.

I bought the car brand new; it didn't have a aftermarket alarm on it. I also lock my doors after I get in the car; but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like the auto locks back.

Did it have some sort of alarm system? The could have installed it at the dealership? If not, did it come with remote keyless entry from Dodge?

Look in the manual, I am not sure if automatic door locking is something that acn be enable by Subaru. I think I recall reading something about it, but it just may be passive locking after you exit.

Just curious.

X

---

X

Which is why my dad's 330Xi is God.

You can set whether or not you want the doors to lock when you start the car. But wait theres more! My parents each have their own keys. So my dad doesnt like the car to lock, but my mom does. They can set their preferences to their own key. Genius! You also program your seat position, mirrors, favorite radio stations, etc.

Did it have some sort of alarm system? The could have installed it at the dealership? If not, did it come with remote keyless entry from Dodge?

Look in the manual, I am not sure if automatic door locking is something that acn be enable by Subaru. I think I recall reading something about it, but it just may be passive locking after you exit.

Just curious.

X

I'll check my subie manual; maybe it can be enabled.

Yes the neon did have auto locks and a dodge remote (it was an SRT-4 so it had the sentury keys and and as such). I know that there was not a dealer alarm installed; the service manual for it even mentions the speed locks.

Not sure why MA gets dumped on this way. There are at least 15 states that don't allow civilian CCW at all. MA allows it but requires a CCW carrier to be licensed. The requirements are set b the town you live in and vary from shall-issue to won't issues. Boston is more restrictive than in the past, but it is not uncommon. In Boston you do have to qualify at the police range, which is not difficult.

There's no need to go to Thunder Ranch as Sigarms Academy in Epping NH and Smith & Wesson are both within an hour drive of Boston. Many clubs also offer CCW courses. Folks are always surprised to learn that MA has more competitive shooting events than the other five New England states combined. One club I belong to has 2,500 members.

Massachusets is basicaly a non issue state for CCW, compared to more reasonable states. The state government of Mass. hates and mistrusts gun owners. Your Senators and Congressmen hate and mistrust gun owners. Mass. sucks it hard when it comes to your rights.

I almost got carjacked tonight. I was driving into downtown Boston on Huntington Ave. - a high-traffic road which is, to my experience, very safe. It wasn't too late, maybe 9:30. Anyway, I got a green light, and I'm going through an intersection when a bunch of guys (maybe 4 or 5?) start walking out into a crosswalk. Naturally I stop so as not to run any of them over. I notice that one of them is changing his path so he's not walking across the street any more but is instead walking toward my car. The rest of them are slowly walking in front of my car. Before I know it my passenger side door is open.

I don't know if he was going to get in or pull a weapon or what because as soon as I heard it open, I dumped my clutch and away I went. I probably almost ran over one of his helpers.

I don't know if I should be happy or upset that I hadn't locked my doors. If it had been locked, he wouldn't have gotten it open, which is good. But on the other hand, it might have led him to go for any weapon he might have had on him sooner or maybe to smashing the window.

In any event, I'm glad I got away safely.

Glad to know your ok.

Nemo me impune lacessit

The S&W Academy runs a tight ship. I've taken a couple of courses there, they have good in-house and "adjunct" instructors.

There's no need to go to Thunder Ranch as Sigarms Academy in Epping NH and Smith & Wesson are both within an hour drive of Boston. Many clubs also offer CCW courses. Folks are always surprised to learn that MA has more competitive shooting events than the other five New England states combined. One club I belong to has 2,500 members..

I was wondering the same thing, since MA has no CCW reciprocity with any of the other states.

http://www.packing.org/state/massachusetts/

Glad you got away safely. Must have been a bit of an adrenaline rush, though. I lived on Appleton St. in the South End back in the mid 90s and my '90 Accord was stolen. Cops found it a week later, clutch burnt, in Jamacia Plain - which was the car theft capital of the US back then. Beantown can be rough, man.

this is one of the cases that you want to be driving the new Mercedes S - "Guard"

proven to be not only bullet proof but also bomb proof. lol. you coulda just sit there, take their pics, then use your twin trubo V12 engine to run them over one by one.

Just curious.

X

All Dodge minivans and many Jeeps for that matter have this feature,. On the Caravan the door slock when you hit 18mph.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Massachusets is basicaly a non issue state for CCW, compared to more reasonable states. The state government of Mass. hates and mistrusts gun owners. Your Senators and Congressmen hate and mistrust gun owners. Mass. sucks it hard when it comes to your rights.

Does it suck harder or less hard than the states that prohibit CCW altogether?

I have nothing good to say about Senator JKennedy. But the level of ignorance about Mass gun laws never ceases to amaze me. Where do you sit with states with waiting periods, purchase limits, or no CCW?

Who Dares Wins

スバル

All Dodge minivans and many Jeeps for that matter have this feature,. On the Caravan the door slock when you hit 18mph.

Yeah, my sister's 01 Grand Cherokee does it at 15 mph. I drove that Jeep for a long time, and it's probably why I'm not in the habit of locking them myself.

I'm not sure why people are so ignorant about MA gun laws versus other states. If MA sucks, what to states that don't have CCW law, have purchase limits, waiting periods, or purchase taxes do? Not saying it's great, but there are 1 million gun owners in MA.

Another effective weapon would be an AR with a 10.5" barrel. :icon_wink

I vote for anything with a 4 in it....

p220_m1911a1_rs_s.jpg.da24e7d41d210cfeeb412a81b221de89.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Another effective weapon would be an AR with a 10.5" barrel. :icon_wink

Errr...NO! Not exactly your "weapon of choice" here, unless of coure you want collateral dammage when that 5.56mm round travels at 3,200+ fps right throught the would be "jacker" and into a few other people and residences.:(

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

It is so important remain aware of the unfolding environment. The car in front of you that taps the break pedal at each sidestreet is going to do something unpredictable.....etc.

Thanks God you were aware that something didn't smell right.

Can't take ANYTHING for granted these days.

Black Hills SD a new "Suburb" of Boston I haven't heard about? You must get ALL of your intuitive gun legislation info from "american riffleman" or another NRA publication. (which I am a member of). I have and have had my class "A" LTC concealed for 17 years. Never once denied anything, I have plenty of pistols, automatics, AR15 A3 HBAR, etc. SO your "non-issue" BS is just that, BS. You know your own state's laws, stay with that knowledge and don't spew "heresay" that you've gleaned from NRA mags. thank you.

Billy Dagwood, glad you made it out "unscathed".:) Fortunately if it had been me this would be the "So I had to put a .45 Hydrashock round thru my passenger side window last night b/c some punks tried to carjack me." thread. Then of course I'd be posting in the "WTB: passengers side front window":( and,the obvious posting in "Detailing", "what will take out blood stains and bits of hair and skull from the passenger's seat?"

Semper Fi!

Lizard (always armed, not always dangerous)

I'm not sure why people are so ignorant about MA gun laws versus other states. If MA sucks, what to states that don't have CCW law, have purchase limits, waiting periods, or purchase taxes do? Not saying it's great, but there are 1 million gun owners in MA.

I vote for anything with a 4 in it....

+1:icon_bigg

Archived