LegacyGT.com

24 hr Beater Race

urfsin

are u sure u want to put up ur personal rims? cause the car can be subject to be destroyed halfway thru the race in a blind vote. so whatever rims are on there will be killed, unless they allow u to take them off beforehand.... i wouldn't suggest putting up rims. steelies would be a better bet.

These are track rims...they have rash on them, but if they will be Destroy'd during the race. I retract...but this is an endurance race correct? not a derby??

maybe i should read the link dave posted up...but i'm down!!

~Sucka-Duck~

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^^Two words....

Water Wetter

FWIW: Filling the system with straight water should still do the trick in keeping the engine in the acceptable temp range

No Water Wetter allowed as per the rules. No big deal though, water is a better heat transfer medium than coolant. Obviously straight water will be corrosive to the engine over the long run, but for a couple of days it won't hurt anything. We could probably sneak in some Water Wetter for a bit of corrosion resistance and improved heat transfer, as I doubt that anybody would notice it's presence.

Yea, read up on the link. It is not a "derby" race, but there is A LOT of rubbing and stuff. I think it may even be on a dirt track.

Not on a dirt track, but when everyone is driving cars that cost so little that they don't care about them, a bunch of rubbing is a distinct possibilty. Merv, if I were you I would not be volunteering any parts that you wouldn't be willing to trash.

No Water Wetter allowed as per the rules. No big deal though, water is a better heat transfer medium than coolant. Obviously straight water will be corrosive to the engine over the long run, but for a couple of days it won't hurt anything. We could probably sneak in some Water Wetter for a bit of corrosion resistance and improved heat transfer, as I doubt that anybody would notice it's presence.

What's the deal with that??

Water Wetter is okay for 'cycle track day but not in a beater race??:iam:

they don't want anything to make the track slick. as they know many novice drivers will be there and also there will probably not be track crew to clean up the mess if there is any. and they know ppl will be crashing/bumping all over the place.

this is all about safety.

btw, what should our team name be?

Team Leggies? or Team SMS

edit: we should probably look for tire sponsors? as reading previous year team accounts/photos it seems every team out there had at least half a dozen sponsors or so.... and most were running near race spec tires, ie falken rt-615, bfg kdws, nittos, etc. some came with race tires.

edit edit: i hope our roll cage is super strong.... seems a lot of drivers treat this almost as a demolition derby..... :O

One step ahead of you. Don't worry, between Reza and myself we will find tires. Going to talk to a couple people tommorrow. This year's race is limited to tires with a better than 190 threadwear rating. I'm thinking either Falken RT-615 or Hankook R-S2 Z212, but it's going to depend on what we are going to do for wheels. If we can get a cheap or sponsored/donated 17's then either of those 2 tires will be perfect. If we go cheap we can get some old 16" WRX wheels.

If we can't score a tire sponsor, then there is always Ebay for some used tires. It won't be race grade rubber, but honestly as long as we have some half decent rubber we'll be fine.

I drove our racecar (! :lol:) today and it definately ain't bad. Decent power and the suspension is reasonable solid but the tranny shifted a little abruptly at times and the center diff seemed a little off. We'll have a better idea of what we really have after the guys the SMS go through it. Who knows, maybe after a drain and refill of all the fluid all might be well and then we can see what mods will fit in the budget.

OK, not to rain on the parade or anything, but I just looked up the KBB value for this car and it looks to be WAY over the $500 limit. Private Party value was about $4000 for "Fair" condition and about $2000 for trade in value.

I was on the 24hr race website and they were saying that they were going to be stricter on the $500 limit this year. I guess if we can prove that we got the car for under $500 we could get it past the judges, but I would hate to get popped on this.

This is just me being paranoid BTW. I think the car looks great and everything but I would hate to do all this work and then not be able to race....

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

well, even if we do get popped, its all in good fun. all they do is add laps onto our record. i mean are we trying to do this to win? cause if we are, then we probably will need to really goto a junkyard to find a $500 dollar car.

btw damn that outback looks too good....... hahaha

lets just hope the other teams don't vote us to be the one to be destroyed... although it seems the destroying is just some sledgehammers or something so the car would still be able to run unless they turn brutal and hit the engine or interior.

While the car is worth more than $500, the fact remains that SMS paid $500 for it on trade-in. That is as ligit as it gets. It's not like we are going to be showing the race organizers a bogus hand written "bill of sale", the amount paid for the car will be on a real sale contract. Given the good shape the car is in, I really don't think we should try and cheat down the purchase price of the car. I'm fine with a little "freshening" of severely worn mechanical parts, but I don't want to have a ringer of a car out there. We are not limited by the rules on how much we spend on tire, wheels and brakes, so that's where the money should go. I've been scouring Ebay, NASIOC and IWSTI for some cheap wheels. I'm pretty sure I can get some sort of hook up on some sticky but legal tires. New OEM brakes with some race pads and we should be set.

Just did a little more research and it appears that WRX brakes and struts bolt right in. Reza, you think you can hook up some 06+ WRX brakes with the 4 piston fronts and 2 piston rears? That will give us more brake that we could possibly need, especially after the car is stripped. Plenty of pad choices too. Best of all, that stuff is all legal. As for the suspension, I think the most aggresively valved OEM struts that fit are the best option, since we technically don't have money under the cap to mess with. Get 'em dirty and I'm sure that they will pass along with some cut springs.

Good news on the brakes. I just upgraded my fronts with a Rotora BBK. I have my old rotors, calipers and pads. They have 16,000 miles on them, so they should be ok.

The best news is that my brakes are the same brakes from the WRX!!! They should bolt right up.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Archived