LegacyGT.com

How to run simple DVD on your NAV!

t-type86

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Purple wire tells the navigation when the headlights are on and, in turn, when to "dim" for night driving. That is why my video output stops when I turn my lights on... because that wire goes from 0V to 5V... err.. 12V. I have yet to confirm this but that is really the only explanation...

On a side note, I got a zune 80 this weekend and everything is working great (minus the headlight issue). I am a bit dissapointed that the zune can only play mp4 and wmv video files (no avi or mpeg). I'll post a video later.

lol

• 2 weeks later...
I have followed the cutting and grounding of wires to get dvd and video input but there is a company that sells a device you hook up to the factory nav box that gives several video inputs and a tv tuner. It is listed in the original nav hack thread Ill look around and try to edit this post with it but I thought I would mention it since many seem to want dvd without all the work. I am not sure how this handles sound. It cost over $500 which is what kept me out of it but now that I have modded the car and spent much more than that I think about how the tv tuner would be cool especially when HDTV is broadcast. Anyway I thought it was worth mentioning

Where are you guys grounding the wire that gets cut from behind the navigation unit? Are you adding length to the wire to ground it lower in the console? I cant see anywhere that looks like it will make a good ground close to the wire coming from connector that we cut and ground. Please let me know ASAP as my dash is apart.

TIA,

Anthony

• 7 months later...

I the back up uses the molex connector and the video input uses a female RCA input. You can not watch both at the same time but you can have both connected at once. I have my car set up that way.

I do wish I would have wired a on switch for my back up camera besides the reverse trigger. I know there are many times, I would like to look behind me besides when backing up.

Anyone know if anytime the camera powers up it will come on the screen or if reverse some how switches the input source whether the camera powers up or not? I believe the latter is true. If anyone knows for sure please post.

TIA,

Anthony

Anyone know if anytime the camera powers up it will come on the screen or if reverse some how switches the input source whether the camera powers up or not? I believe the latter is true. If anyone knows for sure please post.
If the rear camera is connected correctly then the NAV will switch the display to it when it detects the transmission is in reverse.

• 1 month later...
anyone have any spare molex connectors? Recommendations on which back-up camera to get.

I'm shopping around for a backup camera as well. I did manage to get a couple of the molex connectors for this project though. I requested a sample of the part# (0039013042) and they sent me 2.

As for the camera, I really can't decide which to get. Would be nice to see some of them in person.

• 5 months later...

hey, does anyone have a picture of the BACK of our oem radio??? It would be cool if I could splice the sound and video in through the back of the unit, and mount my ipod touch in the cabin instead of the console...

just a thought...

hey, does anyone have a picture of the BACK of our oem radio??? It would be cool if I could splice the sound and video in through the back of the unit, and mount my ipod touch in the cabin instead of the console...

just a thought...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/zmarko/IMAG0042-1.jpg

However, why not just mount your ipod wherever you want, and run the audio cable back to the AUX in, and then video up to the NAV screen? Much easier than doing say the Jazzy mod.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your question. Do you want to run a DVD player, and then also your Ipod via AUX in? If that's the case, you could run your DVD player through the AUX in, and then use the Ipod Interface to hook up your Ipod Touch.....wouldn't be able to run video off that though (I don't think).

I was trying to find a way to have my ipod setup connected all the time, while still leaving the aux port open...

Ipod Interface (not sure how you'd run video off it though), or the Jazzy mod for audio, then wire up the video from your ipod to the NAV screen.

• 2 weeks later...
Couldn't you run an Ipod cable like the one you use to charge it, but instead of a USB at one end theres an audio plug in. Not sure if they make something like that however.

thanks guys... Since I have sat radio, that's not really an option. I ended up buying a core kit from soundgate. My ipod touch is now harwired to my power and has video output to the nav. I had to run an 1/8" cable back through the console to the aux in, but everything works great! My only complaint is that movies are kind of dim in daylight, and I can't seem to output any ipod games to the nav screen. All in all, awesome mod!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this thread to let you know what I did.

First, I bought this:

1 x Portable Car Media Player - SD + MMC Card Reader (CVELY-HDDP) = $32.63

------------------------------------------------------

Sub-Total: $32.63

Shipping via Air Mail. Online Tracking. 7 - 15 days to major destinations. (Shipping to United States): $16.82

Total: $49.45

The interface is generic and corny, but it plays audio and video well. I am just using it to play video because its not a great interface for audio. I chose this product because it has a USB input which allows me to plug in my 8GB thumb drive. Makes it easy to get files to the car, and play other friends files as well. I just keep the player in the car that way, plugged in permanently.

Secondly.... the black/yellow wires on the large harness are ground. I tapped into one of these using 3M quick-connect T-taps.

http://www.shop3m.com/80014000832.html?WT.mc_ev=clickthrough&WT.mc_id=shop3m-AtoZ-Scotchlok-T-Tap-Disconnect

These are the easiest to use for hooking up electrical stuff in the car. By far. Just pinch onto the wire you want to tap into. Then crimp a flat male terminal to the other wire and push it into the T-tap like a quick-connect fitting. I used no additional wiring to ground the gray wire, just crimped on the 2 connectors and plugged the gray wire into the tap on the black/yellow wire.

Running the wires down past the radio was not easy (because I did not use a hanger or snake), but once I guided the video wire the right way it fell down to the shifter area perfectly.

Thanks for the OP for the write-up.

That looks much nicer than the mediagate.The mediagate has a horrible interface as well. Any install pics? Where is the unit itself? How about the IR receiver?

I will get pics at some point...

It fits in the center console with room to spare including all the wires. The IR sensor is on the unit, so I just keep the lid of the center console up and point the remote down at it. Generally my wife will use it to watch a movie on a long trip, so I don't really need constant access to IR.

I will say that it loads MP3's very fast. I had it on random which is nice, and it jumps through 8GB of data without a hitch. It auto searches for Video, Audio, and Pictures. You can hit the video button and it will list the video files on the HD. Kinda nice, you don't have to dive through a bunch of folders to get the file you want.

• 3 months later...
Question... if I plug an Ipod to RCA cable in to the bottom of my Ipod (80 gig video)... and plug the headphone jack to my Aux... Both video and sound will work right? or will the ipod disable the headphone jack? basically I want to plug my ipod into the nav unit, and the sound into the aux input... guess this question should go in and Ipod forum... but i'm assuming someone knows the answer to this.

Archived