LegacyGT.com

How to run simple DVD on your NAV!

t-type86

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so if the cd/mp3 player was a DVD/DVD-A player then we wouldnt need to do all this and would get mp3's on DVD (more capacity) and the ability to watch DVD's out of the factory .

Thx subaru for giving us partial feature and functionality only...considering those that hv the navi paid extra for it. And u've had over a year to make the addition.

one would think they'd think things through.

Nice mod thos but we shouldnt have to do it...it should come from the factory that way.

One word : Liability

Subaru can't add a DVD from the facotry, consider what would happen to them if someone was watching a movie and found themself in a motor vechile accident, now who would be Liable.

I heard a story a long time ago, when cruise control first came out this gentleman bought it for his mobile home, he thought it was an amazing feature, off he went driving and drove on to the highway put on cruise control and decided he wanted something from the fridge, so off he went, and much to his surprise the mobile home didnt in fact drive itself, and he crashed and badly injured himself. he sued the dealership for not explaining fully what the system was.

so thats the reason I see them not putting a DVD player in so you can watch TV while you drive, and the fact that you have to disable one of the safety features to be able to watch a movie while you drive does say a lot. I suppose they could put it in but then again who would want to sit in a parked car and watch a movie.

+1.. it's weird how many aftermarked headunits let you play DVD's... there is also a big focus on DVD players in the carputer community too...

Have you ever owned or installed an aftermarket DVD HU? I have and what you dont realize is that the instructions for all these units say to ground a wire to the ebrake, thus only allowing DVD playback when the car is parked and ebrake is up. Its a cover your butt liability move, however what they dont put in the official documentation but is well known by installer is to simply take that ebrake wire and ground it, allowing you to play DVDs anytime, however since they dont instruct how to do this, they cant be held responsible if the owner installed it 'improperly and illegally' and are free from legal action.

I suspect the backdoors glitch in the nav screen is a similar kind of loophole.

Ed

Another question. How does it look when the dimmer kicks in at night? I know the map and other things are black instead of white and it's very dark. Does it dim the video a lot?

Also, in theory, all we would need now is a boost gauge that outputs to video right? And we'd be able to have boost on the lcd!!??

Another question. How does it look when the dimmer kicks in at night? I know the map and other things are black instead of white and it's very dark. Does it dim the video a lot?

Also, in theory, all we would need now is a boost gauge that outputs to video right? And we'd be able to have boost on the lcd!!??

It dims the video as well in night mode, you have to dial the brightness back up with that knob on the left of the steering wheel back to daytime interior illumination to get the video to full brightness.

Ed

^ Ca n this be done with the 06 Nav that doesn't have the aux input? Thinking of the wife here but man I love the Nav on road trips.

you are probably screwed as far as sound portion goes unless you mod your 06 stereo with an aux in

Ed

Since you are grounding out the e brake wire does that make your driving lights on all the time even with e brake on? Also where did you find a aux input wire that was long enough form glove box to center console? Thanks in advance...I am planing on doing this to my 07 spec b this weekend. It looks easier then I thought especially since I have a portable DVD player that already fits in glove box.

Since you are grounding out the e brake wire does that make your driving lights on all the time even with e brake on? Also where did you find a aux input wire that was long enough form glove box to center console? Thanks in advance...I am planing on doing this to my 07 spec b this weekend. It looks easier then I thought especially since I have a portable DVD player that already fits in glove box.

Hey your not actually grounding the Ebrake wire on the car side, since your going to be cutting the wire in half you will only be ground the wire to the screen side, thus fooling the screen to thinking you will have the e brake engaged all the time.

and its just a regular RCA cable you should be able to find at any electrical store, bestbuy? source? etc,

hope this helps.

One word : Liability

Subaru can't add a DVD from the facotry, consider what would happen to them if someone was watching a movie and found themself in a motor vechile accident, now who would be Liable.

I heard a story a long time ago, when cruise control first came out this gentleman bought it for his mobile home, he thought it was an amazing feature, off he went driving and drove on to the highway put on cruise control and decided he wanted something from the fridge, so off he went, and much to his surprise the mobile home didnt in fact drive itself, and he crashed and badly injured himself. he sued the dealership for not explaining fully what the system was.

You can buy a Tribeca today equipped with a factory-installed DVD player which can be viewed from the navigation system screen. And check out http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp for details about your cruise control myth.

That can probably done with the LGT nav as well except the stupid 'ebrake is up' warning light would constantly flash up on the dash.

Ed

But you wouldn't even notice that light since you're only paying attention to the movie playing on your NAV screen. :)

;960990']But you wouldn't even notice that light since you're only paying attention to the movie playing on your NAV screen. :)

not really, i listen to the movie audio half the time and only clance at the movie from time to time while im driving.

Ed

6. Now that the screen is free to inspect.. turn it around and find the YELLOW video input.. similar to that of a TV,VCR,or DVD player...

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19523&thumb=0&d=1149818735

Ask questions if needed...

Joe

Hi, i dont have this input plug.Are there any other ways i can get to show dvd etc on my nav-screen?

The car is a EDM Legacy 3.0R Spec-B.

Hi, i dont have this input plug.Are there any other ways i can get to show dvd etc on my nav-screen?

The car is a EDM Legacy 3.0R Spec-B.

Are you refering to the audio input or the video. The video is probably there but you probably need Jazzy's CD hack audio input for the "aux" function. BWTFDIK?

Are you refering to the audio input or the video. The video is probably there but you probably need Jazzy's CD hack audio input for the "aux" function. BWTFDIK?

I was refering to the video input.Just checked the rear of the nav system and there was no plug.

Gotta come up with an idea one day :icon_cool

Thnx for the answers!

That sucks Viking, yours is probably a completly different system maybe you can find a video in some other way?

It really does.Going to my dealer tuesday and gonna borrow the cd with pdf files over the whole car.Have to find out wich wire that the signals goes through.

Hope my cd burner works :icon_cool

Archived