Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:lol:

Be sure to read that thread I liked, apparently there a ton of different 669GL options... some that aren't suitable for a CarPC environment.

I've been debating whether or not to get a PC again, and that little PC you linked to is very tempting!!! I still think I'm going to wait for an Android Tablet, though.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

This little guy may be enough to get me back into this project...

AMD fusion dual core, 4gb ram, 2.5" ssd in a fanless 1" by 6" case.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/19/compulab-fit-pc3-offers-dual-core-amd-power-in-a-case-less-than/

My question for all you - What are my screen options for HDMI?

Jaw drop... Holy crap, thats beautiful... I could be convinced to switch to that. VERY tasty.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I do not see it as a replacement for the FOXCONN d510 or n330 NET TOP box that i purchased for my current CarPC (see a few pages back). The one that I got runs on the Intel processor, and you could get a dedicated video card, 4Gb Ram and the 2.5 inch drive inside for literally half the price. My unit was 170 dollars and has a quad core Intel Mobile 64 bit processor. What would I need all that power in a CarPC ? Anyways, looks cute but it ain't any better.

• 1 month later...

After many many many nights spent reworking my CarPC and several hundreds of dollars spent just this February (new Solid State Drive, New Centrafuse 3.5; new connectors, microphone etc) I am finally happy again with my device. Cold boot to working screen about 25 sec but i plan on using either hibernation or sleep.

And with that said...I remain firmly convinced that any new car should be now purchased with OEM navigation.

To be honest I am going back to 3.1 I do not care for the marketplace improvements and i have not seen any noteworthy improvement over 3.1. The 20 min magic of Acronis Data Backup.

i purchased 3.1 a few weeks back so to me, it was an huge upgrade over my 2007-spec CF1.47. I have now plugins for iG4 and GMPC that mute music for navi; bluetooth phone actually works; there are some thought-out menus. So I like it. But would I ever do a CarPC project again if OEM navi is offered in my next car (very very likely a new JGC).

And for everyone out there...get a solid state drive. I must say, once I selected my new CarPC it still took me half an year to sort out the issues. And it took me some 4 years to be happy with it - before I had no better choice. Now I can say I am reasonably happy with the setup

• 4 weeks later...

This is why I went with a laptop as well. They're generally built for hard knocks. Verses your standard PC parts which aren't.

Plus a cheap laptop can be had off craigslist, it doesn't have to be powerful for what you'll use it for, and it comes with it's own battery backup :p

Winning the internet

• 3 months later...
Can I buy the bezzel with moniter already installed , or do I have to custom fabricate? I have an 05 gt. I'm to lazy to do all that silly fab work, you guys started this like 4 years ago, maybe there are some aftermarket bezzels ready to go with monitor.

Simply buy the Navigation Bezel and replace the cubby bezel. It can fit a 7" screen without modifications. It's a standard part. Here in Denmark it costs around 120$, so it's presumeably around 2/3 of that price in the US.

I fitted a standard 7" touchscreen where the original screen would fit without even modifying the display or casing. Very simple mounting method with 2 L-brackets from the wood-shop and supersized shims for the vent wall. I can probably find a picture if it's needed :-)

Yes please, a picture would be great. So what your saying is , I should get the navigation bezel from the later 4th gen legacy, cause those are already made for screens!! Good info! When did they start putting navigation in the legacy?