Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

I too was overly enthusiastic once. Sure, technology came a long way and there are different options today than 3 years ago. But the moment you start taking the car apart, fabricate bezels, run wires, and try to be creative with the lack of space, while still trying to maintain a quasi-OEM look, you'll know what I mean. Good luck. Edited by f1anatic

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.androidcentral.com/augen-7-android-21-tablet-sell-kmart-14999

I've been thinking of getting a 7" android tablet and fitting it, rather than going the full CarPC route.

I wonder how well it would work. The only problem I see with that particular model, is GPS. Not integrated and I don't believe it has any USB ports. Plus I'm not sure what GPS modules work with android.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

http://www.androidcentral.com/augen-7-android-21-tablet-sell-kmart-14999

I've been thinking of getting a 7" android tablet and fitting it, rather than going the full CarPC route.

I wonder how well it would work. The only problem I see with that particular model, is GPS. Not integrated and I don't believe it has any USB ports. Plus I'm not sure what GPS modules work with android.

That's your answer right there. With a CarPC as in Windows PC you have the software (including the interface and the navigation program, not just windows itself) that can be customized to your likings, and the flexibility of hardware plus the ability to expand and do all sorts of things.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks man, I am still kind of confused between treehugger and lumber jack.

Does this work with Centrafuse 3.1 ?

Any links to Treehugger ?

I have a 05 will a vag-com cable work, or will I need to get a full tactrix cable.

again , much appriciated

I use TreeHugger with CF 1.47. Maybe nowadays lumberjack is the replacement. Funny names...

What the old CF used to allow is to import applications and open them in the CF screen; and the success rate was much dependent on either plugins or having the correct window name. Not sure how the new one works. You'll need to get on their forums and research.

I know little of the VAG cable but if you can datalog with it via Road Runner you should be able to use it with SSM TreeHugger or Lumberjack, RedNeck or whatever it is called these days.

Wow, just wow, 36 pages and 6-7 hours later, I finally made it to the end, found the info I wanted, except one thing, How bad is the replacement cubby bezel(JDM) I really want a factory look, and I want to be able to just drop in a screen and go. I know it will be more, but I want the plug and play ability if possible. Thanks!

Also, if you want to put the carpc in the factory radio spot and haven't seen this:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/dual-hvac-double-din-kit-now-working-113589.html?t=113589&highlight=jdm

Edited by dwolson2

Wow, just wow, 36 pages and 6-7 hours later, I finally made it to the end, found the info I wanted, except one thing, How bad is the replacement cubby bezel(JDM) I really want a factory look, and I want to be able to just drop in a screen and go. I know it will be more, but I want the plug and play ability if possible. Thanks!

It's not really going to be plug and play with the JDM 2Din bezel.

Those are designed for a 2Din head unit that mounts into the dash. The head unit would be secured in place in the dash and the JDM bezel simply snaps into the dash opening properly aligned as a trim ring.

Unless you get a 2Din car PC monitor, the standard (affordable and common) car PC monitors don't simply install all lined up.

You'll either need to fabricate your own bezel by modifying the factory one or modify the screen to fit securely into the JDM bezel.

I think I will save up and spend a little more, so it is a direct fit. Also, I am playing with the CF program and how do you get treehugger to work in it? I am able to bring up rom raider, but it goes to the editer,I want to use it for the guages. Thanks!

did you download tree hugger ? which version of CF are you using ? In my vintage version, I have to get the exact window name to import it. I do not use Rom Raider for the gauges cause you would not make them appear in the window at a tough of just one button.

• 3 months later...

Resurrecting my own mega thread. Managed to finish my CarPC version 2. Actually works well.

Foxconn Nettop D510

2 Gb RAM

Carnetix P1900

Xenarc 700 TSV - refurbished ( I refurbished my own original screen for 110 bux)

Centrafuse 1.47 (vintage 2007 - maybe old school but I like it)

iGuidance 4

TreeHugger SSM (embedded)

The neat thing is that I imaged the old hard drive (from a Toshiba) onto a new hard drive to use in this new CarPC; I did a windows fresh install without deleting or re-formatting the existing partition; identified the working WinXP N-Lite folder; accessed the drive onto another PC as an external USB drive and removed the old Windows install; reinstalled Centrafuse and I was good to go. Most other programs, including iGuidance; Treehuggage SSM; RomRaider; ECU explorer worked. I did have to install the drivers for screen and Tactrix but by no means was this a lengthy install, even with completely new hardware. After I reinstalled Centrafuse, even my old settings stayed the same.

Now the PC starts and shuts down automatically, controlled by ignition and the smart PSU. I have no idea why for 3 years I still used a little button to turn on/off my PC. Hibernating the PC causes issues - changes the resolution and so on but I figured why bother; I will just make it shut down instead of hibernating. I am sure it is some software problem which I may or may not tackel by spring. Boot time to fully operational about 45 seconds.

Edited by f1anatic

Resurrecting my own mega thread. Managed to finish my CarPC version 2. Actually works well.

Foxconn Nettop D510

2 Gb RAM

Carnetix P1900

Xenarc 700 TSV - refurbished ( I refurbished my own original screen for 110 bux)

Centrafuse 1.47 (vintage 2007 - maybe old school but I like it)

iGuidance 4

TreeHugger SSM (embedded)

The neat thing is that I imaged the old hard drive (from a Toshiba) onto a new hard drive to use in this new CarPC; I did a windows fresh install without deleting or re-formatting the existing partition; identified the working WinXP N-Lite folder; accessed the drive onto another PC as an external USB drive and removed the old Windows install; reinstalled Centrafuse and I was good to go. Most other programs, including iGuidance; Treehuggage SSM; RomRaider; ECU explorer worked. I did have to install the drivers for screen and Tactrix but by no means was this a lengthy install, even with completely new hardware. After I reinstalled Centrafuse, even my old settings stayed the same.

Now the PC starts and shuts down automatically, controlled by ignition and the smart PSU. I have no idea why for 3 years I still used a little button to turn on/off my PC. Hibernating the PC causes issues - changes the resolution and so on but I figured why bother; I will just make it shut down instead of hibernating. I am sure it is some software problem which I may or may not tackel by spring. Boot time to fully operational about 45 seconds.

:needpics:

mail.google_com.jpg.40f0073bb8b2cf12c27e163cbef6f409.jpg

carputer.jpg.af96fd90a3095d74d9cef6832dce7eb0.jpg

Here is mine I built 3 months ago

and vids

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs0xIvjZEtk]YouTube - Carob 1[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK634hvGa6k]YouTube - Carpc2[/ame]

The touch screen is capacitive so its hard glass.

It is a Lilliput 669GL (monitor only)

With 3M microtouch capacitive glass overlay. (its a simple usb device)

Running a netbook:auto power management

when car is on, its runs off car power and never goes to sleep.

when car is shut off, 12v is off, and reverts to battery mode, and goes to win7 hybrid sleep after 5 minutes. This netbook can stay in hybrid sleep for 2 weeks on internal battery.

I touch the screen to wake from sleep, back up and running under 10 seconds.

Centrafuse 3.1 front end

GMPC, with centrafuse plug-in for OSD keyboard.

Tree hugger SSM

Pandara

It is a Lilliput 669GL (monitor only)

With 3M microtouch capacitive glass overlay. (its a simple usb device)

Running a netbook:auto power management

when car is on, its runs off car power and never goes to sleep.

when car is shut off, 12v is off, and reverts to battery mode, and goes to win7 hybrid sleep after 5 minutes. This netbook can stay in hybrid sleep for 2 weeks on internal battery.

I touch the screen to wake from sleep, back up and running under 10 seconds.

Centrafuse 3.1 front end

GMPC, with centrafuse plug-in for OSD keyboard.

Tree hugger SSM

Pandara

Thats what I am planning on doing! lol You stole my idea!! Or did I steal yours? Glad to hear it works, takes the mystery out of it!

• 2 weeks later...

I will be starting this project in my 08 LGT and have a question about bezel fabrication. I currently have the cubby and want to leave that alone so I don't have a hole in the dash while I am working. I will also be able to easily return to stock if need be. Since I am going to purchase a bezel to modify, should I get the cubby bezel or the factory nav one? I have read that the one for the nav only has a 6.5 inch opening and I plan on installing a 7 inch screen. Which will require the least cutting to get the screen to fit? Also, what are the part numbers for the 2008 parts?

Thanks

I will be starting this project in my 08 LGT and have a question about bezel fabrication. I currently have the cubby and want to leave that alone so I don't have a hole in the dash while I am working. I will also be able to easily return to stock if need be. Since I am going to purchase a bezel to modify, should I get the cubby bezel or the factory nav one? I have read that the one for the nav only has a 6.5 inch opening and I plan on installing a 7 inch screen. Which will require the least cutting to get the screen to fit? Also, what are the part numbers for the 2008 parts?

Thanks

The Navi bezel is more expensive than the regular one.

Both will require extensive cutting, filling, sanding, painting.. so get the cheaper one.

I'm pretty sure this is it but call them first to be sure:

http://www.subaruparts.com/cart/?pn=66060ag05a