Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

I wouldn't use anything but a laptop. I don't want to write a dissertation about it, but I will say that built-in power management makes a bunch of hassles go away. ;)

The key was to finding one that allows easy access to the power button wires. I have an HP 530, but I'm not sure what I'd use if I was starting over. It's like 1.6ghz or something... no good for gaming, but more than enough for navigation and data logging.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would think a used laptop is the best way to get started. You can have a double din display in the dash.

I'd put a small ssd for the HD and then go with a usb storage device, easy to move to your main pc for downloads and easier to shock mount.

With the popularity of Ford and now Toyota and others, you will see some aftermarket integrated unit in a year or so.

So it takes a little while to boot up and be ready, unless you are making your living as a getaway driver, you can wait a moment.

SSD HD 60gb, $80

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227738

2x2GB ddr3 1066 204 pin so-dimm $22

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178242

Intel Mobo and Atom CPU dual core @ 1.8ghz $75

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121442

M350 Mini-ITX Case $40

http://store.mp3car.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ENC%2D031&CartID=1

M4 ATX 250watt PSU $78

http://store.mp3car.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PWR%2D031&CartID=2

Thats pretty much everything besides vga cables, wifi, gps, os. $295

With this it will just turn on automatically when your ignition turns on, is extremely small, you can shove it pretty much anywhere, 192 x 210 x 62mm , 7.6" x 8.3" x 2.4" roughly.

Add another $40 for a gps reciever

http://store.mp3car.com/New_BU_353_S4_Weather_proof_USB_GPS_Receiver_p/gps-004.htm

Add another $10-$20 for a wifi adapter.

Edited by Tehnation

Use a netbook, they are el cheapo, you don't really need the processing power. d510 based one are ~$200-300. Comes with everything you will need.

As NSFW said....power management, power management, power management. Rigging up on off is a hassle, and tapping into ACC or IGN, using DC to DC off battery etc.......

netbooks, with in power, let it never sleep, and even shut of the minitor if needed, cat turns off, goes on internal battery, after 5 minutes, have it sleep. Set to wake on usb, ie touch the screen....ready to use under 5~6 secs.

How would you power it? I already have acc cable and power going to back for my amps.

http://store.mp3car.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PWR%2D031&CartID=2

makes powering the pc a lot easier, it basically wires up like any audio amp would, and powers on your pc when you turn on the car. Is there some adapter that can power the netbook easier than a cig socket?

For $350 I get something more refined for my purpose, has ssd, so no moving parts to be effected by shocks. I plan to put it where my old underseat sub was. Has faster cpu and ram. A setup like this would boot up in under 10 seconds with windows 7 setup properly. Plus that 350 includes the power solution, so no plugs and sockets to worry about.

netbook laptop, same thing.. One person says no the other says yes.... but after I thought about it,1 this little box i'm going to build is best solution. A netbook is a slower smaller and cheaper laptop.

Edited by Tehnation

I chose the xenarc because it has a usb out for the touchscreen to be used as a mouse, its single din and would fit in with the avo adapter, so I wouldnt have to cut or hack anything. Does that company make a single din, with usb out for touchscreen?

Ive found

http://store.mp3car.com/Xenarc_700IDT_In_Dash_7_inch_Touch_Screen_VGA_p/mon-017.htm

and

http://dynamixcomputers.com/lilliput_gl701_np.html

The lilliput seems to have more features, i'm going to look into it.

Edited by Tehnation

An ssd makes all the difference! My pc at home boots to desktop in 10 seconds, and thats with all the bullshit. I'm sure if I set it up right I can get the same with this car pc. Its not like you cant listen to music until its booted either, but windows 7 and an ssd = hella fast bootup!

The lilliput monitor actually seems better than the xenarc because it has a tv tuner, and radio. So rather than having to mod my radio to have aux input, I can just attach it to a line out converter, and have the monitor/reciever play all the music. probably has a better amp too.

Edited by Tehnation

I have my netbook powered off the cig adaptor but ran internally. I have the clock relocation kit.....so cig had to deaded anyways.

Not sure about the xanerac ? Not sure that will fir into the cubby, there is a brace behind the cubby, so pull out the cubby and check your spacing.

i just assumed you were getting a touch screen monitor.

They have a single din cubby adapter, so I wont have to move info panel. I'm a smoker so my ashtray and lighter are important to me =) . I just wish I could get rid of this old pos stock radio all together....

Told ya Lilly was the way to go:rolleyes: It's not the amplifier, it's all about the Soundcard....

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first post on here and I'm midway sourcing the parts for my own car computer project.

On the software front I'll be running a light Archlinux system with XBMC for media playback and I'd been looking for the perfect way to control it while driving (hitting small targets and navigating through a large media collection on a touch screen while driving would be troublesome).

So I saw people on this forum or similar talking about the 3d Connexion Space Navigator and I picked one up to check out if it'd be possible to use it to control XBMC easily.

No luck out of the box but I didn't need to install any kernel drivers to recognise the device. I installed the open source spacenavd daemon to detect the device correctly and raise the correct motion/button events for any applications that need it.

XBMC wasn't one of those.

So I wrote an application to convert those 6-axis motion movements into traditional keyboard key presses. With a bit of other goodness like variable key repeat delays depending on the intensity of the user pushing, pulling, pressing, tilting and twisting the knob.

I've only had it working completely for a few hours and I've only tested it on my laptop so far (haven't taken the Space Navigator for a drive yet or used it to control a car pc running XBMC) but I think it's ready for the job or additional testing if anybody is interested.

Of course you don't have to be running XBMC, you can rebind the keys to anything of your chosing.

From a birds-eye POV pushing the knob forward, backward, left and right simulates keyboard up, down, left and right key presses respectively.

Pushing down or pulling up on the knob is Return & BackSpace.

Twisting clockwise or anti-clockwise simulates '-' & '+' keys for super fast volume control (or fine volume control, remember the configurable variable key repeat delays).

Tilting doesn't do anything useful yet, I'm going to map those actions to changing workspaces (switching between XBMC and GPS navigation or other OBD tools).

Thanks for listening I've got the code hosted here if anybody is interested:

https://github.com/mason-larobina/spnavkbd

• 1 month later...

hey so kind of random. i never took the plunge to do a PC project bc i always just use my phone for everything....

anyway, so, i was using the nav as a very expensive velcro station for my cell phone until it occurred to me that i should probably take it out, sell it, and install a proper holster for the phone.

any suggestions for building a cubby // phone dock insert?

also, anyone need a perfect condition working Kenwood Nav system pulled from my 2008 lg spec b?

I put it on eBay for $399. just search for 180855926670

cheers,

Will

I wouldn't use anything but a laptop. I don't want to write a dissertation about it, but I will say that built-in power management makes a bunch of hassles go away. ;)

The key was to finding one that allows easy access to the power button wires. I have an HP 530, but I'm not sure what I'd use if I was starting over. It's like 1.6ghz or something... no good for gaming, but more than enough for navigation and data logging.

Agreed. I have one mounted where the spare tire was in styrofoam. I just put it to sleep and wake it with a Logitech Dinovo mini. It's wired to the stock screen for display (no touch), wired to the Tactrix via usb. Wired for sound and power to the center console. One usb port up front for logging to a flash drive or charging my daughters iPhone. All under carpet and properly run. It's been in there for over 3 years through extreme heat and cold and I've never had to think about it. I really only use it for obsessive data logging and gauge display. It shows 12 gauges very cleanly on the oem nav screen.

It's one of the first dual core Gateway's that I used to use for work. The stock screen was mostly shot when I installed it in the car but with the easy power management, bluetooth, 4 usb ports etc it was the perfect choice. Haven't ever had to replace any hardware in it and I pretty much use it every time I drive the car and it's always just worked.

Been reading through this thread quite a bit as I'm about to start my own Car PC build. I don't want to spend $600 on a transreflective screen at the moment so I'll just be using a high brightness Lilliput 669GL touch screen.

Saw some different mounting positions people have used. I'm just wondering if I'm better off mounting it flush like the OEM navi unit or recessing the bottom of the unit in more than the top to change the angle.

I have a sedan with the sunroof and tinted windows. I realise there will be reflections and washout of the screen but I'd like to minimise them as much as possible.

Cheers

Dan

• 2 months later...
wish i saw this post a while ago i just pulled out my car pc :(

Why did you pull it out?

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Just to much work. This was my third pc car install. Beeing doing it for years. But just wanted something that worked well with good gps. It just wasnt there. I used Centrafuse and Riderunner FE. Even developed a plugin for CF

Mike

Just to much work. This was my third pc car install. Beeing doing it for years. But just wanted something that worked well with good gps. It just wasnt there. I used Centrafuse and Riderunner FE. Even developed a plugin for CF

Mike

That was what I was worried about. That is why I spent the $279 and the all in one 7" in-dash. I wonder it anyone has tried to make a Carpc with android?

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com