Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

Mine is been very reliable for the most part. And since I still use the OEM radio, it's no big deal for those rare occasions when it doesn't boot up properly. I will do a CarPC in my next vehicle if at all possible.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nemo, it will most likely go easier 2nd time around. New technology come a long way, making things smaller, use lesser power, quicker boot up, etc....

Having done it once, you already know all the ins and outs doing the install.

Good luck though

Yeah you're absolutely right. I'm thinking about getting an EEEBox and moving the whole system to the glove box. I think that's the only way I would redo it. I'm so sick of not being able to use it where I live cause it kills radio reception.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I'm still glad that I decided to just use a laptop. That was an extremely simple solution and if the thing fails, I can take it out and work on it, or better, replace it at the drop of a hat.

Winning the internet

I'm still glad that I decided to just use a laptop. That was an extremely simple solution and if the thing fails, I can take it out and work on it, or better, replace it at the drop of a hat.

Ditto. And having a dedicated battery, built-in, with its own power management, has advantages.

^ where are you guys mounting your laptops? My whole reason for the pico system was because i didn't want to run shit to the back of the car. it was easty to keep everything right up front.

I pulled the RAM from the board last night and still nothing. It's definitely toast.

I think I'm going to replace it with an EEEBox.

i agree with all of the above.

My laptop is mounted in the trunk, vertically, on the driver's side, inside a plastic box which I hacked up myself and added a fan for more cooling to the processor.

My problem with the CarPC is that often, the screen resolution would change after I boot up again and I have to manually reset it. I do not know whether it is the power source (since the PSU) supplies power to the screen and %V usb and the PC itself...or it is the old laptop's graphic adapter.

Oh and the PSU, I bought 3 of them...1 failed and repaired...then its replacement failed and got repaired...and I recently bought a 3rd brand new that i keep as the backup to the backup. That is 450 bux in PSUs that i did not have to spend.

My laptop is mounted on a hinged shelf over the spare tire. Running connections under the carpet was probably the least-fun part of the whole process, but I only had to do it once.

Yeah, our glove boxes are tiny.

There's a chance you could squeeze the netbook behind the factory stereo, oriented vertically. There's an inch or more of depth, with dimensions similar to the faceplate. Not sure about cooling though.

the EEE comes in as little as a 7 inch screen. that has got to be smaller than your glovebox, they're cheap now, all you should need is monitor and keyboard, as well as some way to power/turn off/charge it.

Nope. It is NOT that simple. Very sorry but I gotta send you to do your homework.

I triple dare you finding the easy way of turning it on and off...powering it on and off (that's not too bad until you realize you have no space for the PSU and that you have to run wires thru the firewall) and the sheer amount of work you put in running all the wires. And I do not know who likes keyboards and wires running around the car. I never use a KBD - if I did, I would be content with a windshield mounted navi system.

My lady has an eeepc 1000 HE or something to that extent. It does not fit into the glove box without cutting that divider between the upper and lower compartments.

The EEEBox that I'm looking at is: 9" x 7" x 1"

I believe that will fit in the upper compartment.. you know where the owners manaul goes? I have to check.

edit: just checked... the comparment is 9.25" x 5" x 2"

Don't think it'll fit.. ugh.. gotta figure somethin out.

Edited by nemo

I mounted mine right under the passenger seat, the plus there is that in the summer time it gets cool air blown on it, and in the winter warm air. For a shitty ass compaq it's been actually, very stable.

Winning the internet

The EEEBox that I'm looking at is: 9" x 7" x 1"

I believe that will fit in the upper compartment.. you know where the owners manaul goes? I have to check.

edit: just checked... the comparment is 9.25" x 5" x 2"

Don't think it'll fit.. ugh.. gotta figure somethin out.

Hey Nemo, pull out the cubby. That should open up the whole back....and allow open air flow.

What box are you looking at. The one I am looking at now is

7.48" x 5.31" x 0.98"

P.S. 914 area ? where u at ?

^ Yeah, that was my alternative -- I might make a custom bracket behind the screen. The way I have it now interferes with radio reception (underneath the radio).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220005

^ that one. in black or white, whatever's cheaper. What box are you looking at that's so small?

I'm in Yorktown Heights.

What is everyone using their CarPC for? Just audio and nav?

Why this over a double-din headunit? If you have an iPhone, the new Pioneer even links directly to Pandora!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Audio, Nav, Engine [Data Logging; Real Time Display & Diagnostics; ECU reset] Trust me it came in handy - at least 6-7 times. I reset 4 CELs ; bumped up the RPMs twice; and diagnosed my misfire in cylinder 3 (when my coil blew out).

Now that I'm at a stopping-point for main mods, this is again creeping up on me. :)

BAC, like the others here have said, it's a great way to integrate datalogging.

Even with a dedicated laptop/netbook, convenience wise, the Carputer wins.

With the incoming smartphone based loggers, though, if they can access as many parameters as the logger, it would be a tougher fight. But even then, could they run Learning View? ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

What is everyone using their CarPC for? Just audio and nav?

Why this over a double-din headunit? If you have an iPhone, the new Pioneer even links directly to Pandora!

I use my CarPC for nav, logging, reflashing, and a 'dashboard' app that doesn't actually log but does monitor the ECU nicely.

I'm using Subaru's 6-disc MP3 player for audio (06 had unit in my 05 LGT) and it carries enough music. I kinda want audio integration, but it hasn't been a high enough priority to actually get it done yet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856119026&cm_re=foxconn_barebone-_-56-119-026-_-Product

7.48" x 5.31" x 0.98"

This is the smallest nettop i could find, and its specs are killer.

Nav, Pandora, music, movies, bluetooth phone. datalogging apps.

And upgrade-ability, new features.

What would you do for power supply and auto on/off?

Well so far my solution remains pretty much the same.

Touch screen is USB HID device capable of waking up the PC.

I am going to test this part out....but I am trying this external laptop power supply

http://cgi.ebay.com/Portable-Power-Station-External-Laptop-Battery-20000mAh-/130379953429?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Laptop_Batteries&hash=item1e5b403515

power on with usb, (i like it that way) if I am doing a short drive or dont need to turn on the comp it stays off.......Ignition off, battery will still power the PC, set to win7 sleep after 30 minutes of non use.

20000mAh should be sufficient to power it in sleep for weeks. Note most laptop batteries are 4400mAh

Nope. It is NOT that simple. Very sorry but I gotta send you to do your homework.

I triple dare you finding the easy way of turning it on and off...powering it on and off (that's not too bad until you realize you have no space for the PSU and that you have to run wires thru the firewall) and the sheer amount of work you put in running all the wires. And I do not know who likes keyboards and wires running around the car. I never use a KBD - if I did, I would be content with a windshield mounted navi system.

My lady has an eeepc 1000 HE or something to that extent. It does not fit into the glove box without cutting that divider between the upper and lower compartments.

Triple dare??? Wow. Untwist the undies dude. They were suggestions. Netbooks come complete. An EEE 7 has a 7 inch screen IIRC, the 1000 has a 10 inch screen much like my toshiba. If it doesn't have bluetooth, a simple dongle can fix that and even a PS3 keyboard should work. There are also programs out there to turn half the touchscreen phones out there into a mouse or keyboard. They also sell mini kb with built in thumbstick (like the PS3's) for you to use as a mouse (and wireless to boot). More accurate than IBM/Lenovo little red stick. As for the powerup issue, I claim no expertise whatsoever on the matter, but if I were to brainstorm, there are settings that permits computers to power up via key press. Any key. There is also IR blasters that solve that as well (HP zd and dv series have these features). You can turn the computers on and off via the control. Another option is to put the computer to sleep on powerdown, my Netbook uses as little as 8 watts when on and on eco mode. One sleep mode I assume it shouldn't use more than a couple of LED's worth of juice. My $0.02. Take it as what it is, a suggestion.