Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some images I grabbed last night, sorry for the blurriness, the hologram focusing was not working right, but you can see the color which is what really counts here:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_jABUXREarfE/SlwQtd4najI/AAAAAAAAC1M/_mhNMT9YQIY/s512/dsc00551.jpg

And the side vent as a reference

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_jABUXREarfE/SlwQt1l5jsI/AAAAAAAAC1Q/suwjF9PnlqU/s512/dsc00552.jpg

Winning the internet

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
im sure that this question has been address already but im kind of a newb when it comes to this. I have a laptop that i wouldnt mind taking apart to use as a car pc. i obviously would have to purchase a screen for the car but what else would i need to buy to make this happen?

at the very least you're going to need a power supply to let the laptop run off of the car's power.

check out the MP3car.com forums. They have a TON of information that'll get you going.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

ah! yep, you'll need one of those. there's a couple alternatives (to the jazzy aux in) out there to it so you should search around for the best option for you.

the leptronix aux in mod looks pretty interesting.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a lilliput screen attached to my windshield with a GPS suction mount for a while now. I'm a little worried about it being a theft target, and it looks like it blocks my view (even though it didn't) so I installed it in place of the cubby.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/Scruit/DashCamScreen.jpg

(yes, I know my car is messy!)

I've had the infopanel relocation kit hanging around for a while. None of the holes lined up so I had to make a custom bracket. Same with the screen - it's bolted to the dashboard using a custom made bracket (not attached to the fascia)

I am not going to do the next step (smoothing out the edges of the fascia to match the screen) until I'm sure the screen is where I want it. I'm going to give it a couple weeks of driving in different light levels before I'll be sure I'm happy with the angle of the screen.

im sure that this question has been address already but im kind of a newb when it comes to this. I have a laptop that i wouldnt mind taking apart to use as a car pc. i obviously would have to purchase a screen for the car but what else would i need to buy to make this happen?

If you read the first 5 pages or so, you will stumble across my solution. I am running it off a laptop that is NOT taken apart. You will need to buy a power source (DC-to-DC); a screen; the relevant wiring; and hack the laptop to allow for an external momentary switch (most of us solder wires to the points where the laptop's momentary switch is connected). Useless to say that demands finesse and it is the second hardest thing about running it off a laptop.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I just hit a dead end installing my monitor in my dash. Can someone help me? its not a liliput or a xenarc. I got a seform. got a great deal on it and it works well. cut my cubby, already. everything was going well. it looks lke i cant install the damn thing unless i want to cut my dash out to make it fit, or i need to be willing to have the top part of the screen out of view. Looking at the liliput in the picture above. it looks like the problem would be even worse with that one. i have been thinking about cutting off the bottom of the monitor, but i am shaded out. anyone have that problem?

Got pictures?

My screen was taken out of its case, so the LCD itself could be installed, with the circuit boards, etc, attached behind it. The buttons are not accessible anymore, but the screen itself fits nicely and the remote does everything the buttons did anyway.

this is a pain in my ass. i will take a picture later. i am going to have to cut off the bottom of my monitor. i think i saw someone do that a while ago. its not allot. my other problem is this. my screen is 2 pieces. lcd and then touch digitizer, like an ipod touch. the bottom of the digitizer is actually glued to the bezel. how am i gona paint this thing. Edited by ninjaturtlesM35x

You might have to scrap that monitor and go with something that actually fits out side the bezel. The mp3car guys have gone through just about every monitor you can think of and have measured the actually screen size out side the bezel to get an idea of the actual size.

Winning the internet

WHAT MONITOR DID YOU HAVE? I dont like how you had to cut the cubby bezel so low to fit the buttons. my buttons on this will still be good. hight wise its smaller then a liliput. i really like the monitor. its just a little to thick. i am going to have to remove the backing and possibly cut off the bottom. i can fiberglass a new backing in a better position. the problem isnt the size around, its the depth. its a thick monitor. hit hits the supports in the back. it has 2 built in speakers in the back. dont know why anyone would want speakers in a monitor. its specifically made for a car also. Edited by ninjaturtlesM35x

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2514358&postcount=1283

^ That's a Lilliput EBY701-NP/C/T

It works great, the only issues I've experienced with it, is on the extremely cold days, say 5F degrees or lower, I'll have to hold the power button down and turn it off and on again, because it just won't power up, too cold, but other than that, it's worked like a charm.

Winning the internet

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy151/ninjaturtlesm35x/moitor.jpghttp://s787.photobucket.com/albums/yy151/ninjaturtlesm35x/?action=view&current=moitor.jpg&newest=1Thanks. Thats what i had to do. i detached the front bezel from the back casing. i am a little worried about the electronics being exposed so i think i am going to fiberglass a backing for the front and fiberglass a front for the back, to make two seperate cases. I will leave holes for the wires and then just epoxy the two cases together with the back case a little higher then the front to clear the supports. I mocked everything up with tape and its fits just right. Edited by ninjaturtlesM35x

I'm about to make a CarPC. I finally have the time to do it. I'll read through the pages before I ask quesion.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com