Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

I am using hibernation and using the Bu353 and it comes back up without any issues. I also use the Holux receiver and works perfect.

With the motherboards that I sell to my customers, hibernation comes out in about 20 seconds from start to Centrafuse playing music, pretty fast.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tried out hibernation last night and it seems to be working with my BU-353 i had to use Xport to split the GPS com port though.

Has anyone tried wiring the keyless entry to turn on the car computer yet?

I am thinking about getting a pulse timed relay to do that trick.

Oh and with hibernation it takes about 45 seconds my hardware specs are as follows:

Epia M1000

512 MB Ram (256 allocated to onboard video)

320GB IDE HD

Stop hating.

Hating you ? I have no reasons.

Warning people against unfair claims (like above where you talked about inferior products and bad customer reviews while suggesting to the poster to contact you privately) - ABSOLUTELY.

I could not care less if you have 200 customers from LGT because I am NOT selling a product and you are not my competition. If you think you have made a significant contribution to the Car PC work on the site here (and I disagree with this BTW) and can ease everyone's pains why don't you become a vendor on the site. Then promote your products freely.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me know what you think,

I just bought the custom Double Din Faceplate from someone here in the forum, I wanted to go AVIC-Z2 or the AVIC-D3 using my Circuit City Discount, (not that great, the eBay sales are 200 less then our prices) but seeing how the Car PC has infinite possibilities, I am wanting to go the custom route, Yes I have the Navi Screen, so what, I want DVD and Videos, and to automatically sync my files, (since my router is in the Garage it would be easy), HD Radio with more upgradeability like up to date GPS maps for the many highways missing in my GPS

My idea is to get a Double Din Touch screen to go into the new double DIN setup, with my Intel Micro-ATX board I have laying around and find some bargain basement LGA 775 proc.

What am I missing, what do I need, should I just go get some Double Din DVD Player?

I see seeberry is on the mp3car.com forum site, who else has good setups that I can look at for recommendations?

Why don't you read up a little. All the info you need is in this thread in terms of hardware and software - especially at the very beginning. . For starters - what is the double din faceplate ? I assume you mean the AVO double din dash kit ?

If all you want is playing DVDs, someone else already figured it out how to do it with the OEM Navi. And just get the updated maps. It will be much easier than doing a Car PC.

No more than 10 pages ago (p55-65) there were links to double din units - some completely self sufficient (pc + monitor) some just the monitor (flip-out-and-up). Check that out but really I would scroll thru the thread and you surely will get lots and lots of info; links to products and ideas.

Or wait, let me guess, someone will ask you to send you a PM and make you buy his products.

dont pm me.. I havent read this thread in MONTHS! :lol:

ok, read up a bit now.. looks like there's a lot of good work going on. I cant say I want to get back into it... but I do.. I probablly wont though.. my last thought was making something easily removeable with a screen mount and a laptop for gps or something.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• 2 weeks later...

since most people w/ car pc's tend to keep up with developments in enginuity, i figured this is a good place to ask.

has there been any progress made toward automatically loading the enginuity logger, logger profile, and com port?

i seem to recall reading about some test release w/ a bat file for autoloading the logger, but i don't think i've heard anything about the profile or com port.

edit:

i believe this is the test release that i mentioned

http://www.ken-gilbert.com/wrx/enginuity/EnginuityTestRelease-rev774.zip

• 1 month later...

This thread has been pretty dead......Update I bought one of those DEI Timed relays. Using the second All doors unlocked line I am now able to turn on my CARPC remotely using the doors unlock button. Pretty cool since it takes about 45 seconds for my computer to start playing music.

I am thinking about trying to fab a Lid which I think will block the sun in the cubb area....the glare is pretty bad!

Anyone solve there glare problems?

Have you guys seen the JDM stereo bezel that is a two part piece? It will get rid of the OEM radio and provide you with a 2din area where to put the screen. I'm not sure if the HVAC controls of the JDM will work with your USDM models though.

Vsick- can you provide info on how you made this possible to turn the carpc on with the alarm deactivation?

45 seconds, are you using a full boot? If so, try using hibernation instead, your boot times will come down to about 20 seconds.

The only option to remove the glare is to get a transflective screen. On my wife's Si though, the locoation and angle of the screen makes a world of difference. It's location high on the dash and angled toward the head liner, this avoids most of the glare from the surround area.

Have you guys seen the JDM stereo bezel that is a two part piece? It will get rid of the OEM radio and provide you with a 2din area where to put the screen. I'm not sure if the HVAC controls of the JDM will work with your USDM models though.

The 1st gen one doesnt work for sure, I dont know if anybody has been brave enough to try the 2nd gen one that has dual zone on it yet

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Is this the one you're talking about? What was the problem that it didn't work?

http://www.japanparts.com/images/ImageFromDB.php?base=1&no=11154

the one you are showing a picture of is the 1st gen one which only works for single zone cars in JP and AU and perhaps some EU models. There are several issues with compatibility. The first is that the plug on the back of that JDM control is expecting a power lead which the US model doesnt have, but even when you get past that and get the unit to power up it will not recognize the a/c controller in US models.

There is this one which is dual zone but i havent heard anybody try it yet?

http://www.japanparts.com/images/ImageFromDB.php?base=1&no=11153

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Vsick- can you provide info on how you made this possible to turn the carpc on with the alarm deactivation?

45 seconds, are you using a full boot? If so, try using hibernation instead, your boot times will come down to about 20 seconds.

The only option to remove the glare is to get a transflective screen. On my wife's Si though, the locoation and angle of the screen makes a world of difference. It's location high on the dash and angled toward the head liner, this avoids most of the glare from the surround area.

I did the one touch all doors open mod. So that leaves me the extra wire that sends a +12V Pulse when I hit the doors open button twice on my key fob.

I then bought this:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/DEI-528T-Pulse-Timer-Relay/dp/B0009IR4AC]Amazon.com: DEI 528T Pulse Timer Relay: Electronics[/ame]

Wired it up so that when the relay gets the pulse it supplies the ACC line on my computer powersupply with 12Volts for 60 seconds. This is enough time for me to get into my car and turn the ignition on. I will try and draw a schematic out if i can get to it at work tommorow.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ahh, but I have an aftermarket alarm :(

I too have done the one touch opens all doors mods as well.

f1anatic- what of hibernation didn't work for you? I have been using hibernation will the systems and they work fine.

GPS does not work after hibernation.

Has anyone tried the new Centrafuse ? Should I install it ?

Also what is the range of a wireless

USB adapter vs a PCI adapter

and that of a 802.11b vs the 802.11g ?

I will try and do a writeup when i gt some free time from work......

I am using Hibernation already....still takes me about 40 seconds to music with centrafuse. I current;y have 512mb of ram....will upping it help it or hurt it?

I haven't tried the new centrafuse yet.....seems pretty cool if the phone feature works for it.

Which GPS receiver do you have? I'm using hibernation with both the bu-353 and the Holux and they both work fine. I have tried the new version, but I would suggest to wait until the final release comes out. Right now it's a test release and it has a lot of bugs, especially with the phone.

The range of the wireless depends on what is between the access point and your device. If there are walls, metal, etc, it will degrade the distance.

USB and PCI wifi adapters should have the same range and b/g should have the same as well except that you'll get a better speed with G then B.

If you want a good signal at a specific spot, get a directional antenna for your access point and point it to the location you wish to have a better range.

I have wifi in my car and I can get a connection in the alley and infront of my house and the access point is in my living room.

I was more after the wireless connections manager in the new version than anything else. I guess I will wait on the upgrade then...This summer I plan to revamp the PC, ditch XP, install a lite Win2000 on a 7200 rpm drive and run away with it. Windows 2000 is still the fastest booter of them all.

I haven't tried the new centrafuse yet.....seems pretty cool if the phone feature works for it.

I have it up and running. I honestly don't recommend you install it until 2.0 RC2 comes out (which should be within the next few weeks.) This version is very buggy and most of the bugs will be fixed with RC2. Also, it's picky about which bluetooth dongles it works with. I still couldn't get the phone working because it wasn't compatible with my dongle, and there was a bug that wouldn't let me even enter the setup. It's a great step forward - lots of cool features - but I'd just wait for RC2... there's too many issues with RC1 as of now.

Also, I posted this before I found this thread so I'll just post it here too:

Alright, so, hopefully by the end of summer I'll be in possession of a younger '99 Outback which means it will be modding time. I have VERY LITTLE (read: none) experience with these types of things, so at this point I just want to know what your thoughts are on my plan. I want to re-organize the dash so as to be able to fit a 7" touch-screen for a car-pc into the mix. My plan (photo shows this) is to relocate the HVAC controls to under the cigarette lighter/ashtray, and shift the radio head-unit down about an inch. That will make enough room for me to be able to fit my screen above the radio. No more cupholders :(

From what I know of the car, this seems to not be a VERY difficult thing to do other than actually making it look good. I know that the HVAC controls are just one set of wires that I could splice and elongate. I also know that the HVAC control box is not that long, so it should fit where I want it I think. The radio mounts would just have to be adjusted down an inch (maybe with metal strips or something... idk.) Other than that, it would just be a matter of making it look good. What do you guys think? Any suggestions? Is this a bad idea?

4S3BG6850W7645870-4.jpg.8ef9d9d7dc295519197858bd4d299d63.jpg

Edited by Stang70Fastback