Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

Isn't that in Power Settings in the control panel?

I'm pretty sure that it's not the drive that's set to do that, it's your windows settings. It's the "Put Hard Disks to sleep after....mins" option.

I could be wrong, I'm on a Mac right now so I can't check it. But check those settings.

I'm on my Mac too but it's a external drive and it has it's own control to spin down the drive after a certain amount of time.. I tried everything to stop it but it wont stop spinning down. In a given day I'd say it starts and stops like 65-80 times a day.. And so far i've had it for about 5 months now and it still works fine.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmmm interesting.

You're running an external drive in your car?

That's interesting about the spin-up though, it must be a big drive.

I'd never experienced drive spin lag until I switched from iPod Nano to iPod Video. Never knew the lag of a drive could be so noticeable, especially when it's that small.

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

Hmmm interesting.

You're running an external drive in your car?

That's interesting about the spin-up though, it must be a big drive.

I'd never experienced drive spin lag until I switched from iPod Nano to iPod Video. Never knew the lag of a drive could be so noticeable, especially when it's that small.

haha no way this drive is just for the home and yeah I have a ipod video too I've used a nano (hated it) but it's not as bad as this drive.. also I've decided to go with a 160GB drive instead of 120GB for the carputer..

I will order most of the stuff on my wishlist now or I wonder if I should order the case now from mp3car or wait

Why'd you opt for the larger drive? Just curious.

Do you have that much music? More power to ya!

I have 38Gb in mp3's and about 11GB in itunes music I wont be installing it all at once on the drive.. and besides the larger one was only about $30 more so I guess it can help more then hurt...

lol for the home desktop I need to get two 500GB hard drives.. one program alone I use takes up 158GB with all the sound samples and patches. But thats something else.

Also question I'm here fixing a customer's pc right now and it's a Mini ATX case.. one thing I know here is the power supply runs super hot, so how will the power supply on a carpuer be cooled?

"Super hot"? Shouldn't be running that hot... too much load? check the fans? Mini ATX or not, shouldn't get too hot...

Carputer PSU cooling.. hmm.. leave lots of space around the PSU, make sure your load is low and you should be fine. My entire system pulls 35 watts so I don't have to worry about that :)

only external things that will be connected is for my XM, GPS and wireless antenna and if you want to add it an audio cable.

only thing that makes me a bit nervous is the possibility of the computer crashing or locking up while driving.

The cold weather does not bother me much... And a question for those who have had a carputer for 1+ years As you know with desktop windows computing windows gets slower and slower after awhile I've never tested it but will a carputer get slower and slower over time just by running the same program? I know about the defrag and all but I sit here with my PowerBook 15" mac that I've had almost going on 3 years (next month)and I can still get on and have a webpage loaded in 01:45 sec from power on.

Macs are different, OSX is written in a way that it defrags continuously (in a way) because the operating system is fully indexed.

Windows is too dumb (at least until Vista came out, but that garbage is whole other issue) to speed itself up on its own.

My CarPC computer is as fast now as it's always been. It doesn't get restarted often, so it shouldn't slow down much. Theoretically if a computer is on all the time running one single function and nothing else, it should be able to do it well.

When you say your computer does not get restarted often does that mean you make it hibernate or something like that?

I pretty much just plan on installing Road Running and iguidance and thats it. I will be sticking windows XP on the carputer.

Ah ok I never knew since I don't run a computer at home with just those apps installed.

Also is anyone using a backup camera? I wonder how it knows when to switch it on.

1) Correct, I go into hibernate. Restarting takes much longer than hibernation, and the computer loses its current settings (music playing, gps signal, etc.).

2) That all depends about the camera. If it's a USB camera of some sort, it could trigger your front end to switch to the camera when going in reverse (assuming that you're using the power wires from the rear signals to start the camera).

Or, IIRC, the Xenarc screen has an RCA input that it defaults to when it detects signal (ie: The camera plugs into screen, when screen sees camera turn on, it switches to it)

That is my understanding.

I originally wanted a camera, but then I realized its just for show (depending on the driver). My Mother has a backup camera on her Audi SUV and it works nicely, but she's also not comfortable with parallel parking her SUV, so it works out. Personally, I park just fine ;)

Nope, you're thinking of Standby.

Standby technically keeps the computer on (the RAM mainly) to keep the computer ready to boot right up.

Hibernation commits the current state to the hard disk (permanent) rather than the memory (temporary), so that the computer may be "technically" shut down and restarted at the same place where it left off.

Nope, you're thinking of Standby.

Standby technically keeps the computer on (the RAM mainly) to keep the computer ready to boot right up.

Hibernation commits the current state to the hard disk (permanent) rather than the memory (temporary), so that the computer may be "technically" shut down and restarted at the same place where it left off.

Doh your right my brain is so fried... that sounds like a good thing to do

Anybody seen this?

http://subicarpc.bravehost.com/

Is it someone on here? Looks like they're using Centrafuse - what I might go with.

:cool:

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Anyone as a Xenarc Front panel display surrounding.. The plastic that cover the front screen.. I just receive mine, and I fuckup something in the plastic cover, and I need another cover to play with it..

Anyone with a custom installation that did not use the front plastic cover of is Screen that can sell it to me .

700TSV my model.

thanks

Mike

Mike Moffa

Founder / Admin

Montreal Subaru Club

http://www.montreal-subaru-club.com

straight up from here

http://subicarpc.bravehost.com/

Dude this is getting insane. Do you guys know I have 3 pictures of MY car displayed in google when you search 2005 Subaru Legacy GT ?

Awesome job! Any chance you can tell us more, or post screenshots, of the Centrafuse interface with the OBD or other diagnostic screens? I'm really looking to see if MPG, Boost, EGT, temp, etc. are able to be displayed.

Thanks!

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Anyone as a Xenarc Front panel display surrounding.. The plastic that cover the front screen.. I just receive mine, and I fuckup something in the plastic cover, and I need another cover to play with it..

Anyone with a custom installation that did not use the front plastic cover of is Screen that can sell it to me .

700TSV my model.

thanks

Mike

Thanks a lot to people who help me.. Thanks to Sebberry for the link to mp3car.com . they had it in stock, and was having some stuff that was ready to be ship.. Thanks to MP3car.com that ask back USPS the package to put the plastic cover in it..

Mike Moffa

Founder / Admin

Montreal Subaru Club

http://www.montreal-subaru-club.com

hey any of you using vista as the OS or just XP?

XP is the most compatible. Don't dabble with Vista if you want reliability.

Mike, sorry I never got back to you; it's been hectic. Glad to hear you got it worked out.