Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

How stable was version 1.47 ? I am still using the v1.20 which I bought last summer. I am looking to add the WiFi manager but I have not time to mess anything up using a new install. I installed it 1.47 on my laptop and imported the WiFi manager but it does not recognize my wifi card in it and I cannot setup the features wifi button features in 1.20 (not surprisingly, it didn't come with it).

So was 1.47 stable and operational ? Does that WiFi mgr do anything ? Can i just install it over my 1.20 ?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only issues I had with 1.47 was:

1. PhoCo would crash every time Centrafuse was started (didn't matter, cause I didn't have phone set up anyway...)

2. OBD-II reader seems to not want to reconnect to ELM scanner if you turn your car off at some point without exiting Centrafuse.

1.47 was very stable... I think. I don't think you should have any issue. I THINK you can just install over 1.2... but I'm not positive.

Never used the WiFi manager as I only got a WiFi card AFTER I upgraded to 2.0.

I really need to get on with installing the carputer into my car :lol:

:lol: I know how you feel. I still haven't ordered parts yet LOL. I'm still stuck on what to buy :(

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I am planning on going the Mini-ITX route. I want to put the computer in the glove compartment to minimize work and wire runs. I've built computers before, but I don't know poop about ITX boards, and there really isn't THAT much information out on them. I was looking at going the Intel D201GLY2, but I really not sure if it's the best route or not.

I'm really only planning on using the PC for GPS, Music (leaving everything stock), Videos (maybe DVD playback), and ODB-II stuff.

you realize the smaller- the hotter it will run and there ain't much ventilation in the glove compartment. EVEN if you go with that, install it under a seat, run wires along the door steps - reason being ventilation 1) from cold air vents under the seat 2) extra benefits from any additional venting holes you would give in the case. That is what I would do anyways.

Well, I've got a Jetway board with a VIA 1.2 Ghz processor... and it's fine for music and stuff. I'm not sure how it would handle video. It does TERRIBLY with Quicktime but works fine with Windows Media Player. Other than that, ANYTHING will be more than fast enough, obviously. I went the fanless route in terms of the mobo (though there's still a teeny weeny fan on the case) and it doesn't ever seem to get too hot even on warm days. Haven't been able to try it out in the summer yet so this'll be the test. It's nice and quiet, though I'm sure any Mini-ITX will be quiet anyway - the fans are so small.

I put mine under the passenger seat because I didn't want to sacrifice any space. Dunno how the new Legacys are but in the older ones it's very convenient because it's easy to access, and you can very simply run wires up under the center console from there. Plus it gives the computer space to not get too hot in and allows you to cool it off via the A/C if it's been sitting in a hot car all day.

EDIT: Ooohhhh F1anatic... too fast for me :p

Good advice guys. I know the space could be a problem, but I never seriously considered going under the seat for 2 reasons:

1) Wire run length

2) People kicking the PC

But now that I think about it, it's probably a better overall solution.

Stang, what case are you using?

I'm probably not using the best solution. It's an M300 from http://www.mini-box.com. I chose it because I didn't feel like building my own, and it came with a riser card and slot for my PCI sound card... and it wasn't TOO expensive. I'm sure there's better options though.

http://www.mini-box.com/M300-Enclosure-w-Bootable-CF-Reader_2?sc=8&category=87

Anyway, I find that with the front seat put not even all the way back, it's VERY hard to wedge your feet in enough to actually even touch the case. Wiring (and I've NEVER wired anything in a car before, so this was a first) is really easy. I just came in (for the power) from the firewall above the gas pedal, and just ran the wire under the center console and then down the side next to the seat to underneath. Very straightforward - though, again, maybe not the best option.

Interesting. It looks like I probably go the under the seat route. I am looking at doing the VoomPC-2 case. I'm not about to built my own either :lol:

I would have gone for that, but I needed the PCI slot. Looks like a much better solution. The M300, in person, looks like something from the early 90s - in terms of the build/plastic. Not like that's at all relevant under the seat though... :rolleyes:

I don't think I'll end up needing the PCI slot, but I think If I do, I can always get a riser card which fits inside the Voom case. At least that's my understanding.

I really don't think that case will fit under the front seats in the LGT. Maybe the older ones without the power seat but not ours.

Hmmmm... that's a good point. I've still got a few inches to spare with this one. If so, there's also the M200 which is thinner but doesn't have a PCI slot.

I do not think your typical VOOM case fits under the seat BUT the tinier ones (micro atx) actually do. When I will rebuild mine, this is what I will do (outlined above)

let us talk OS tweaks and boot time. Mine is horrendous.

Stock XP Tablet Edition. Takes no more than 30 seconds to boot from hibernation. All you need to do! Even a cold boot is usually no more than a minute... but it's ALWAYS in hibernation, so you don't have to worry about tweaking the OS that much unless you're looking for 10 second boot times. TBH though, this is fine because I flip the switch as I get in the car, and by the time I get my seat-belt on, and the car started and out the driveway it's practically booted. Edited by Stang70Fastback

I really need to get on with installing the carputer into my car :lol:

Sharing the same feeling on the other side of the ocean...:)

Summer vacations are my deadline: I promised myself they will be done with the new carPC!

I'm just trying to do a phased roll-out to keep things simple and affordable, too.

Regards.

I am planning on going the Mini-ITX route. I want to put the computer in the glove compartment to minimize work and wire runs. I've built computers before, but I don't know poop about ITX boards, and there really isn't THAT much information out on them. I was looking at going the Intel D201GLY2, but I really not sure if it's the best route or not.

I'm really only planning on using the PC for GPS, Music (leaving everything stock), Videos (maybe DVD playback), and ODB-II stuff.

I had the same identical doubts and decided to buy an Apple Mini that a shop was selling on discount (not the latest model). If you add the cost of a motherboard with a case, probably there isn't much difference from a price point of view and anyway the Mini provide ample performance numbers (I bought a Core Duo 1.67/512MB RAM/60GB HDD).

My plan is to mount it in the glove box for the same identical reasons you explained; inside the glove box there there is a compartment for the manual which has the same identical dimensions of the mini (I own an Outback MY07). I think you can't find a smaller box than the mini, for what it provides.

About cooling I think that it will not a problem: I plan to open the glovebox in the back and let the air go out in and under the dash. The mini is super silent and does not produce too much heat.

Last thing: remember these are ideas/intentions and as I didn't yet realized them I can't guarantee they work! :lol:

Good luck with your install.

I do not think your typical VOOM case fits under the seat BUT the tinier ones (micro atx) actually do. When I will rebuild mine, this is what I will do (outlined above)

let us talk OS tweaks and boot time. Mine is horrendous.

I'm gonna have to check out the sizing as well. I was looking at the VoomPC-2 cause because it seemed to be the best solution for the glove compartment. But if I go under the seat, another case can be a solution... I'll just have to look around for a flatter, wider case. I think I have seen plenty around.

As for OS tweaks and boot times, I'm assuming you're using XP? Did you do a custom install using vlite to eliminate all excess garbage and services?

I had the same identical doubts and decided to buy an Apple Mini that a shop was selling on discount (not the latest model). If you add the cost of a motherboard with a case, probably there isn't much difference from a price point of view and anyway the Mini provide ample performance numbers (I bought a Core Duo 1.67/512MB RAM/60GB HDD).

My plan is to mount it in the glove box for the same identical reasons you explained; inside the glove box there there is a compartment for the manual which has the same identical dimensions of the mini (I own an Outback MY07). I think you can't find a smaller box than the mini, for what it provides.

About cooling I think that it will not a problem: I plan to open the glovebox in the back and let the air go out in and under the dash. The mini is super silent and does not produce too much heat.

Last thing: remember these are ideas/intentions and as I didn't yet realized them I can't guarantee they work! :lol:

Good luck with your install.

You're following the same exact train of thought that I am. I never really considered an Apple Mini. Are you going to to use OSX? Are the Mini's capable of booting windows? If so, that might be a solution for me as well.

You're following the same exact train of thought that I am. I never really considered an Apple Mini. Are you going to to use OSX? Are the Mini's capable of booting windows? If so, that might be a solution for me as well.

OSX is a great software but in the carPC arena lacks a lot of possibilities... thus I'm using Windows XP. Yes, all recent Intel-based Macs can boot Microsoft Windows XP: you can choose between a dual-boot system (with Apple Bootcamp software) or do a single boot Windows installation simply booting from an XP installation CD and then adding the hardware specific drivers from a Mac OSX Leopard DVD.

The Mac Mini is a nice piece of hardware: it is very compact, supports hibernation (which is a great feature for fast booting carPC) and it has not a BIOS splash screen which can be annoying in the car.

I even streamlined my XP image by using NLite to remove non essential OS parts. Current boot times from cold are around 40 seconds and about 15-20 seconds from hybernation.

As frontend software I'm using Centrafuse XLE togheter with a few plugins (TPMS, FileSync, ecc.).

OSX is a great software but in the carPC arena lacks a lot of possibilities... thus I'm using Windows XP. Yes, all recent Intel-based Macs can boot Microsoft Windows XP: you can choose between a dual-boot system (with Apple Bootcamp software) or do a single boot Windows installation simply booting from an XP installation CD and then adding the hardware specific drivers from a Mac OSX Leopard DVD.

The Mac Mini is a nice piece of hardware: it is very compact, supports hibernation (which is a great feature for fast booting carPC) and it has not a BIOS splash screen which can be annoying in the car.

I even streamlined my XP image by using NLite to remove non essential OS parts. Current boot times from cold are around 40 seconds and about 15-20 seconds from hybernation.

As frontend software I'm using Centrafuse XLE togheter with a few plugins (TPMS, FileSync, ecc.).

That answers a bunch of questions. Thanks. What about bluetooth and GPS? Are there any problems with the mac mini in those features?

BU-353 for GPS - you do want a USB one or even better, a serial one.

I am using the Windows XP - I think you mean trimming down stuff with nLITE. i installed it full and went ahead and disabled every single useless application and service and uninstalled a bunch of fonts etc but still. i think I reached the hardware limits to boot time. That being said, I was told windows 2000 boots up faster (less graphical) than XP so I will give that a try in the next reiteration of my Car PC.

Still on Centrafuse 1.20 - I found it to be the most solid performer. The open source Road Runner needs way too much involvement and a mirirad of applications to get it together.

Why would you go to a serial GPS rather than a USB? USB is faster than serial, which would allow for faster location updating.

And yes, LOL I meant nLite. You should try to eliminate stuff from the beginning before you even install it. You'll notice one hell of a difference.

And are you guys paying for Centrafuse? I think the cost is a bit absurd...

Yeah I pay for CF. I find the cost ridiculous but at least I am paying for a decent product with constant updates. I bought however the cheapest version - I can use bluetooth with 3rd party embedded software if I wanted not theirs specifically (BUT I am not using a BT anyways, I like my Blackberry the way it is thank you) - and I use iGuidance 4 for navi.

The USB vs serial for the GPS is really simple: 1) no hibernation issues (people have worked around that) 2) frees a USB port 3) makes no difference in speed - the amount of info being exchaged is so little in fact the USB port becomes a virtual serial port when you convert it. Basically as you install the USB GPS, you downgrade the USB port to a serial one anyways.

I actually have used nLite to add the graphics driver for my new laptop when I upgraded from Vista to XP (ha ha). But i never trimmed it. i still have the Win XP ready for mods on my desktop but i do not know what to do to it. Do you have a reference or a guide of what we can ditch from the installation as far as the Car PC OS goes ?

Interesting...

Centrafuse is really ridiculous. I tried the 2.0 version and it seems pretty sweet, but I haven't used it very much, nor in a CarPC. But from what I understand, there are a lot of bugs to be worked out. I find CF >>>>> RR.

My main concern with the GPS was the hibernation issue. I figured it was a trade off for the speed of USB compared to serial. If there isn't a huge difference, F-it, I'll go serial.

As far as nLite, I don't know of anything off hand, but if I recall correctly there was a guide on the mp3car forums detailing what could be eliminated.