Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

Hey All,

HighlineCA, the guys who are doing the custom radio mods, said they could do a 8 or 9" screen instead of a radio in the stock location. Obviously there are a few hurdles with fully removing the radio and replacing it with a PC, but the options out there at least. Better than trying to stuff a 6.5" or 7" screen in the cubby I think.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

YES and NO.

The place for navigation really is the cubby. Because that is where the manufacturer intended it.

The other advantage to its OEM location over the stock radio position is that you do not tilt your head and look so far down on the screen when driving. That is much safer IMO. Some cars - like Mercedes and Jaguar - still have it there; but IMO the higher up and integrated in the dashboard (as opposed to the center console) the better.

Anyone just ditch the clock? I am finally getting around to installing my carpc, just deciding on a few minor things. one is whether or not to just ditch the clock maybe hide it somewhere behind the stock radio? Has anyone done this? Is there room for it?

My main reasoning is i like having the cig lighter where it is now.

i ditched a clock... never missed it... however i got an 08, hence my clock did not have info panel on it...

Does anyone here know BMac, or know how to get in touch with him?

He was going to make a bezel for me but I haven't heard from him in a while.

Thanks!

NSFW,

I'm in the same situation: actually he is making a bezel for me (since november!) and the last contact I had with him (via email) was the day before Christmas.

I tried several times in the last month to get an answer to my emails but without luck.

I hope he is reading at least this posts... Brian please let us know what's happening to you (and the bezels... :)).

That is great news, CombatCQB!

I'd really love to integrate that info in my upcoming CarPC project (BMac1203 are you listening? :confused:). What kind of frontend are you using or intend to integrate the info with ?

Thanks in advance.

Diego.-

I'm using roadrunner right now. But I might write it as a stand alone app first. maybe a java app that can be part of Jdash later on.

Cool...but made in China ? Not that anything else is not made there...My issue is that it is very compact - I assume it runs HOT. Also, no USB but rather bluetooth. One could buy a police pc and a screen though

You would probably need a 10' extension. You can route it under the back seats and through your center console.

I did it with a 6 ft extension and I thought I would never put the carpet and the back seat back together.

Dashboard...center console...E-Brake...under carpet...left rear passenger footwell... along left rear door (under the plastic trim)...trunk

You need nimble fingers and one long thin metal coat hanger...and run 2 ropes. You will not be able to pull ALL cables at once...so you have to do it one by one...but you wanna make sure that you do not spend 2 hours every time you want to pull that rope under the carpet. Hence two ropes (one always drags the other...and one always drags a cable - or one long rope and you attach the cable to be pulled in the middle so the edges are always clearing the carpet at either end). And please choose a warm day to do this. And a good night sleep. No kids and women around or pissy neighbors.

Anyone tried putting a mac mini in the glovebox ?

I'm planning my carpc installation and undecided between put the pc under driver's seat or in the glovebox. Personally I'm pending toward the latter because it looks easier (cables shorter) and more usable (DVD unit can be used).

However I'm not sure if the space behind the glove compartment is enough to host the back of the mini (it looks like the upper part of the glovebox can easily host a mac mini apart for the depth).

Thanks to anyone willing to contribute!

PS: I own an european MY07 Outback.

Thanks, Kelvrick, for your answer.

Could you please give me some more detail, esp. on the embedded board. Is it a commercially available product? How are the performance?

Yesterday I had a look behind the glovebox and is does not look like there is a lot of space in the upper part (behind it there is the cabin air filter). Actually it is just two or three centimeters, right enough for passing the cables, I suppose.

Thanks, F1.

However it looks like the cases for nano-itx cannot be installed in the upper right space of the glovebox. At least not without hacking it.

Moreover I'm not so sure about the performance of those boards...

Mac mini is really incredibly small for the computing power and storage it has. Maybe I can design a support to be used below the glovebox...

Hey all, I put a carputer in my car back in 2006. I took it out to make way for my utec tuner, but I still have this flip-up 1-din monitor. If anyone would like to make a reasonable offer for it let me know. I paid $550 for it back in '06.

http://marylandturbo.com/misc/4sale/carputer/img266_small.jpg

http://marylandturbo.com/misc/4sale/carputer/img267_small.jpg

http://marylandturbo.com/misc/4sale/carputer/img268_small.jpg

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.