Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

What are you using for your 12V source? What about your ground?

12 is an 8awg directly from the battery, ground is 8awg to a drilled and sanded bolt underneath the rear seat.

So i took everything apart (no fun) and checked all my power wires, ground, etc. It all looked good for the most part. As it turns out, the problem was solved when i unpluged my USB hub. I wonder if i'm over drawing on my 5v line because of all the usb devices i've got pluged in...

The PX board might only require 13 watts or so, but that's on the 12+ rail. If the hard drive is also on the 5v rail, i can easily see there being an overload because the M3 only provides a max of 6 amps on the 5+ line giving somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 watts. Here's all the usb devices: All of the onboard usb spaces are filled, and one has a 4 port non-powered hub for the mouse, touchscreen and wifi.

Bluetooth

GPS

dvd-RW

802.11g Wifi

Wireless laptop mouse

Touch screen

I'm going to try a different hub, and plugging things in one at a time to see if i can find the cluprit.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alright, located my problem. The two USB cables i had strung underneath the driver's seat had gotten pinched inroute, and were shorting sometimes during motion. The short would cause the MB to go into immediate protection mode, as well as the M3.

That's not a bad price on the EBY701 if it's shipped...I like the 701 compared to the 619 and 629 as the 701 has auto on, and the others require solider-on modifications.

Also, the M1 won't fit in the case:

M1 Dimmensions: 6.31" x 1.77"

Original psu: 3.93" x .98"

Now i'm just waiting for the final release of Centrafuse 2.0 to be released...i love this setup:D

The 629 is better because it now has an LED backlight, hence making it might brighter and easier to see. The 629 has auto on and does not require any soldering. The 629 also has auto switch for backup cameras. So, it will switch to the backup camera source as soon as it senses such.

This is why the EBY-701 is much cheaper then the 629.

Really? The old model and the current model both have/had auto on. You just to enable it in a secret menu that you can access via a code with the remote :)

I'm going to be getting a 629 that I sent to be modified for sunlight readability next week. I'll post the results here. If the results are good, I'll offer them modified too.

I have learn not to trust ebay when it comes to electronics :) I once bought a 629 screen for a setup and never got it. I made a paypal claim, then got it, but it was used and had been put together from diff. parts. Made another claim. It was a nightmare.

salvi, maybe i will pick up the screen and m3 from you. I will probably start to order parts within the next week or so. I will definitely let you know
If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I'd appreciate any comments for the following around screen placement options. I'm looking to put a carputer into a MY07 liberty that doesn't have factory sat nav and it would be great to hear some feedback on screen placement options. Having read this thread pretty full on and looking at mp3car.com at length along with all sorts of other searches, I reckon I got two options;

1) Go with a 1 DIN kit based on this kit http://www.rallitek.com/jdm1dcefa.html

2) Go with the full 2 DIN kit based on http://www.rallitek.com/dodincopa.html

Option 1), I would go with a Xenarc 700IDT and with option 2) a generic 7" in dash VGA touchscreen (undecided)

As I figure it there are pros and cons each way. Option 2) could provide a more factory type finish whereas option 1) has some appeal based on security withthe ability to fold it away; out of sight, out of mind...as well as not needing to try and relocate the cubby info display.

Appreciate any feedback from anyone who has experience with either, or any other advice.

Thanks.

Burger,

I would personally go with option 2. I want the set up to look as factory as it can. I think by going with a factory look you actually would have more security because a thief thinks that it is factory as opposed to an obvious third party system. They see the third party head set, they'll think you might have a full system and go in the trunk, etc.

Plus, I think $250 is too much for that double-din kit. I've seen them in the classifieds for about half of that. Also, you'll probably end up having to cut and mod that to fit your screen so you might as well save your money and do a little bit more cutting on your factory cubby.

Also, you'll probably end up having to cut and mod that to fit your screen so you might as well save your money and do a little bit more cutting on your factory cubby.

I'm pretty sure burger has a RHD vehicle (which that kit drops into w/o problems) as he said he has a MY07 liberty.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, its a RHD - I'm in Australia. For the 2 DIN unit, what about relocation of the existing info display (clock etc)? I guess that could just be disconnected.

Also be interested in hearing from anyone that has actually tried the 2DIN unit in a RHD; any special magic required to fit a 7" touchscreen into it?

Edited by Burger

Very little work is needed to fit a touchscreen in the DD kit - fitment just isn't that great for us LHD folks.

Also, if you have the airbag indicator on your clock, if you disconnect it the airbag warning light pops up. Don't know if that's an issue with the liberty.

here's a changelog for those who want to know what's new in it:

-----------------------------

- 0.5.0b Notes (5/1/2008) -

-----------------------------

This release includes minor fixes to the editor and major

enhancements to the logger.

-----------------------

- 0.5.0b Known Issues -

-----------------------

- Editor

- Pasting table data can cause hangs under certain circumstances

- Logger

- ECU connections under Linux are flaky (start the logger after

you've started the engine)

- AEM UEGO support is a bit flaky

- UTEC Logger incomplete

--------------

- Change Log -

--------------

0.5.0b (5/1/2008)

-----------------

--- Editor ---

- Minor bug fixes

- RAMTune test application

--- Logger ---

- Plugin interface added including plugins for,

- Innovate LC-1

- Innovate LM-1

- AEM UEGO

- UTEC

- New MAF scaler tab

- New injector scaler tab

- Reset ECU

well i am interested in the data logger/gauges obviously !

Noticed the HKS gauges on a fellow member's car and since i am upgrading the car pc i might as well look into that

Hey just FYI:

My life decided to move a little faster then i had anticipated so i'll probably be putting my project up for sale within the week. I'll start here and let ya'll have first dibs, then on to ebay. If you're thinking about buying parts, hold off for a few days:)

Hey just FYI:

My life decided to move a little faster then i had anticipated so i'll probably be putting my project up for sale within the week. I'll start here and let ya'll have first dibs, then on to ebay. If you're thinking about buying parts, hold off for a few days:)

Yes, we/I would like to know the price :)

And sorry to hear that your life is moving too fast... Or maybe its a glad to hear?

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Hey just FYI:

PM Sent.