Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi guys, long time no see. hehe.. been a long time that I did't come here. sorry. .too busy with the shop and my Subaru Club over here. ;)

It's time for me to change my NAV system in my LGT...

http://www.montreal-subaru-club.com/images/mike/legacy05/images/AUT_9371.JPG

I did read up some post, mp3car, ... ,... but still not sure all the things that I need.. If i did read right. my pioneer touch screen is no good for a carpc , because I do not have a USB input to setup the touch screen.. right ?..

If I want to change everything, I saw some people here selling complete "kit".. what should I look for.

I want to run a DeltaDash program, and it come with is OBD2 cable..

http://www.ecutek.com/products/incardash/dash2.png

but at the same time, I dont want to buy just the basic thing, that will have hard time to run, if I add things.. for sure that I want NAV system, MP3 , DVD playback, and other gadgets that the carpc can offer me..

Does anyone sell a "good" bundle kit ?

is this good ?

http://store.mp3car.com/Mp3Car_Custom_Car_Computer_Preassembled_Systems_p/ccc-121.htm

What else do I need if I take a kit like that ? Screen, and a CarPC Software ?

other connector ? powersupply ? on/off switch ?

What software should I take ? RR or StreetDeck or ... ?? I like to be problem free.. less bugs, .... ?

It's been years that I look for something like that.. but newb in that. and not much people over here know about that things..

the perfect thing, is to buy mostly from 1 place. (because I am in Canada, so, importing from different place, will cost more in duty)..

If someone can tell me what to buy, to complete a perfect kit, that will be perfect..Something that as been already built , test and ready to plug..

Budget is about 1000 - 1500$ , is it possible ? everything include

All advise will be appreciated.

thanks

Mike Moffa

Founder / Admin

Montreal Subaru Club

http://www.montreal-subaru-club.com

Unfortunately, I can't help you much at all with your other questions, but one concern I noticed --->

DeltaDash itself will cut significantly into your budget, if you don't already have it (although looking at your profile, I would imagine that you already do).

Just something to keep in-mind. :)

I'm not sure how the Open-Source virtual-dash programs are coming along at this point, though. I used to run ScoobyView on the wifey's WRX, from time to time, but that was much more basic (this would be nearly a half-year ago, if not longer) than what's available for DeltaDash.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Unfortunately, I can't help you much at all with your other questions, but one concern I noticed --->

DeltaDash itself will cut significantly into your budget, if you don't already have it (although looking at your profile, I would imagine that you already do).

Just something to keep in-mind. :)

I'm not sure how the Open-Source virtual-dash programs are coming along at this point, though. I used to run ScoobyView on the wifey's WRX, from time to time, but that was much more basic (this would be nearly a half-year ago, if not longer) than what's available for DeltaDash.

Deltadash is about 350$ here as what the guy of Ecutek told me.. I put that in additionnal of the budget that I post here.. I can use OpenECU also, but not as nice as DeltaDash..

Mike Moffa

Founder / Admin

Montreal Subaru Club

^ :) cool. Just didn't want you to have a surprise on the budget, that's all. :) Best of luck with your project!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

ScoobyView was the only one that I'd been able to come up with - but this does date nearly a year back.... I honestly don't know if there's been continued development of either ScoobyView or if there are successors/replacements.

For whatever reason, I couldn't get ScoobyView to work with my DBW '05 LGT. It worked fine with my wifey's '04 WRX, and despite trying to work out what I was doing wrong on my Legacy (as another BL/BP-chassis owner was able to make ScoobyView work on his ride, I could only assume that I'd done something wrong)......

I know that this is a sorry-ass and lame reply, but it's all I know. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge in this area will chime-in to help "un-ignorance" me. :redface:

Can anyone point me to some open-source dashboard software?

The closest things I know of are Enginuity and EcuExplorer, but both are made for general purpose logging, neither are really suited for dashboard use.

How about JDash? It has some interesting features including support for the SSP protocol.

Home page: http://jdash.ludicrous-speed.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Good luck!

Got other question that pass me tonight..

1st one.. I got some Desktop computer that are just picking some dust here.. Got a 2.7g mhz with a very good video card, and 1 gigs ram and a dual P3 800mhz.. Can I do something with that ? or they consume too much power maybe ? (maybe only take a new HDD that can take shocks ? )

Question 2 :

HEre, in Quebec, we are know to be in the Great White North. ;) hehe.. So, in winter, we go to Lower -20oC and -40oC/oF

So, Should I keep the computer, whatever the choice I take, in the car area.. ie : Not in the trunk (spare emplacement) ? or it will not make any difference ?

Thanks for the help.

Mike Moffa

Founder / Admin

Montreal Subaru Club

Errr dude...where are you gonna keep a desktop in the car ?

Most of us either bought the special automotive - spec PCs as sold by MP3CAR or others (or built their own enclosures but same internals) or run it off a laptop. The space contraints are pretty severe...and again, we are dealing with massive power consumption...

While I got no doubt the desktop power source converts down from 110 V to something else - maybe 19V or thereabouts, I am quite certain the desktop mobos use more electricity, generate more heat etc. That 2.7 GHz 1Gb RAM is overkill. Unless playing QUAKE in the car.

Laptop hard drives are meant to take shocks. Because laptops are not always used in a stationary flat surface environment. They can also run vertically. Desktop HDD may prove unreliable in an automotive environment.

Errr dude...where are you gonna keep a desktop in the car ?

Most of us either bought the special automotive - spec PCs as sold by MP3CAR or others (or built their own enclosures but same internals) or run it off a laptop. The space contraints are pretty severe...and again, we are dealing with massive power consumption...

While I got no doubt the desktop power source converts down from 110 V to something else - maybe 19V or thereabouts, I am quite certain the desktop mobos use more electricity, generate more heat etc. That 2.7 GHz 1Gb RAM is overkill. Unless playing QUAKE in the car.

Laptop hard drives are meant to take shocks. Because laptops are not always used in a stationary flat surface environment. They can also run vertically. Desktop HDD may prove unreliable in an automotive environment.

a desktop in parts, can take less place... I did that in my ceiling of home for the home theater.. in the spare locaiton in the car, it can fit.. but, you awnser the question I was having.. Power Consumption.. and the heat.. I never built a system in the car, its completely new.. Except the plug n play (or almost), NAV system that I have in the car..

mainly, I should call directly MP3car.com, and tell them my need, and tell them to send me a complete kit.. ?? I did ask some question about their bundle here.. If it was a good start, .. ??? but did't get any awnser..

but at the same time, I dont want to buy just the basic thing, that will have hard time to run, if I add things.. for sure that I want NAV system, MP3 , DVD playback, and other gadgets that the carpc can offer me..

Does anyone sell a "good" bundle kit ?

is this good ?

http://store.mp3car.com/Mp3Car_Custo..._p/ccc-121.htm

What else do I need if I take a kit like that ? Screen, and a CarPC Software ?

other connector ? powersupply ? on/off switch ?

What software should I take ? RR or StreetDeck or ... ?? I like to be problem free.. less bugs, .... ?

It's been years that I look for something like that.. but newb in that. and not much people over here know about that things..

the perfect thing, is to buy mostly from 1 place. (because I am in Canada, so, importing from different place, will cost more in duty)..

If someone can tell me what to buy, to complete a perfect kit, that will be perfect..Something that as been already built , test and ready to plug..

All advise will be appreciated.

Mike Moffa

Founder / Admin

Montreal Subaru Club

The biggest enemy to desktop parts in a car environment is heat and power requirements. That said, many people have and still use desktop parts in CarPCs. If space is not an issue, then it's really about finding or building a case that fits in the car.

For power requirements, decide if you really need dual CPUs. If you want to keep the parts you have now, think about underclocking to reduce power. Thinking about changing the HD or DVD to mobile parts that also use less power. Pay special attention to selecting a power supply, efficiency is the name of the game. Start by estimating your power requirements, each component should have a spec showing their voltage and current which you can multiply to get the power in Watts. The key is to pick a PSU that fits the usage and not just the biggest possible which can mean more heat. In the past, people have used DC-to-AC converters and then plugged in regular ATX power supplies. This is very inefficient since you're coverting DC to AC then back to DC. Go with a DC-DC supply, I don't know how much a dual CPU will need but it'll be on the high side of what available out there.

The heat (and cold) issue will require at the minimum very good heatsinks. Even with a fan, if the ambient air in a trunk could 50C already. So moving air will hopefully keep the CPU in operational temperature range. The more heat generating components you have, the more air you want to move. The good thing with some of the mobile parts is that they are rated for a wider temperature operating range.

With cold temperatures, the one thing you can avoid is a slight reduction in LCD performance until it warms up. It's something everyone has to live with in the cold. Mobile HDD will work much better than desktop HDD here for sure since moving parts require lubrication and lubrication can harden when cold.

One other thing I forgot to mention is boot times, once you have a setup running then you'll realize you don't want to wait two minutes for the PC to boot up before you can start listening to your music. There are tons of threads on how to optimize the windows environment to speed up boot time or use hibernate or even switch to linux in some cases.

Just for comparison, my setup is a VIA nanoITX at 1GHz, 1GB of RAM. I started with a 2GB CF card for OS and 40GB mobile HDD for media. But after finding a few corruptions on the HDD develop (mostly my fault I think for to securing the HDD properly) I've switched to a 2GB CF for OS, 2GB CF for applications and a 8GB USB stick for media. I plan to add a DVD drive, but it's not a high priority.

Video playback is a little overrated. I just don't find enough idle time in the car to watch movies. And it's down right dangerous while driving (and I have tried once).

The two areas I spent to most time is the power supply and the SW optimization. The SW is still not 100% done, but part of the fun is to make this system uniquely your own.

Thanks for the reply.. this is some awnser that I was looking for..

I was looking on MP3car.com, and thye was saying that StreetDeck requierement at least a 1.2g mhz ... That is the reason, why I want to go with at least a 2 version.. CP card for your HD, that nice.. did think about that.. but, I will like to be able to watch DVD.. I do (or was doing) often in the traffic.. (.... ) and my G/F like to watch movie on long trip..

As for the LCD and Cold, that, I already pass by there with my pioneer screen. that was not my concern, but more the rest of the system.. HDD., ..

So, my question was more, do I need a CPU more then 1g mhz.. or not.. MP3 sound like to say that Yes if I go with StreetDeck...

Mike Moffa

Founder / Admin

Montreal Subaru Club

I have a Pentium 3 Mobile and 512 MB RAM in a Toshiba laptop that serves as my PC. It handles everything quite well. I use iGuidance 3 and Centrafuse.

i have built extra fans for cooling the cpu and drilled extra holes in the laptop plastics.

I have a Pentium 3 Mobile and 512 MB RAM in a Toshiba laptop that serves as my PC. It handles everything quite well. I use iGuidance 3 and Centrafuse.

i have built extra fans for cooling the cpu and drilled extra holes in the laptop plastics.

as for the emplacement, if I go with the glove compartment, and the Aopen Mini PC, that is just 165 x 165 x 51.. That will fit the glove box.. But, will be missing some air ?? At this point, that is where my NAV system DVD is located, and my XM Radio board..

Mike Moffa

Founder / Admin

Montreal Subaru Club

Yeah, I've been sayin' Id get back to you so many times, I'm sorry. This week has been crazy. HONESTLY, expect a reply by Sunday evening, promise.

BMac1203,

This is your last chance for making a cubby bezel for me.

Sunday is gone, monday is gone, even tuesday is (almost) gone!

So is the week before this, and the week before and the previous of the previous...

I'm sorry to say this, but you're keeping at bay my carPC project and I really need to overcome this: I need to find someone you can make a cubby bezel for my carPC! If you are no longer available, then I'll try find someone else. Hopefully I'll get some answer from somebody willing to.

Thanks anyway for your time.

Cheers.

PS: Good luck for your studies.

BMac1203,

This is your last chance for making a cubby bezel for me.

Sunday is gone, monday is gone, even tuesday is (almost) gone!

So is the week before this, and the week before and the previous of the previous...

I'm sorry to say this, but you're keeping at bay my carPC project and I really need to overcome this: I need to find someone you can make a cubby bezel for my carPC! If you are no longer available, then I'll try find someone else. Hopefully I'll get some answer from somebody willing to.

Thanks anyway for your time.

Cheers.

PS: Good luck for your studies.

Why don't you take a stab at it yourself? I remember back when I was thinking about waiting for BMac's bracket ready bezels, but didn't want to be waiting on someone else. I'll post pictures a little later of my bezel progress so far.

Deltabi, check PM's

Pics of bezel I re-finished yesterday:

DSC03754_small.jpg.f9dbd00e6316ec16cbd1d93de84b4519.jpg

DSC03755_small.jpg.a3b7ed43fdcebf703877d9c68aac6d79.jpg

You guys have seen it before, but in an un-finished form. Went with a more recessed screen, better viewing angle.

Had it in just 1 day, given 3 rides to classmates; all 3 rides people thought it was OEM.

Being a perfectionist FTW!

** A sneak peek at my trunk enclosure below:

CarPC_Enclosure_LIT.jpg.476fae79e728e94e801f1af084cfdda3.jpg

CarPC_Enclosure_UNLIT.jpg.25da4979d1e5ff2b8d63d1df1f834172.jpg

(Looks so bright due to crappy digi cam, only the etching is lit up, not the entire panel)

No pics of it in the car yet, but already loving it. It's a plexi window, custom etched by me. Nice view of internals.

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

Very nice BMac. Are you still using the sandable primer or rubbarized bumper spray? I took the day off from work today to cut up my original bezel and epoxy it. Its been bondo'd up when I ran out of daylight. I'll do some sanding tomorrow after work and post up some pics.

BMAC, you gotta consider side jobs...seriously...

Side jobs how-so?

I get interest, lots of questions, but no customers...

No one will print/cast/rapid prototype my bezels in the small orders I have...no one will give me their hookups...and no one's looking for the wait-time required for me to make the bezels :(

This is my passion, wish I could make good use of it.

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

Why don't you take a stab at it yourself? I remember back when I was thinking about waiting for BMac's bracket ready bezels, but didn't want to be waiting on someone else. I'll post pictures a little later of my bezel progress so far.

Thanks for all your support, guys. Unfortunately I haven't got the time nor the space where to do it. This is why I'm referring to someone's else skills.

And, I have to admit, BMac's works look very good!

@BMac: You have a new PM! I think I'll become one of your talent's customer, maybe the first one abroad ?

Yeah BMAC, that's the thing. I just had member send me a PM about doing the bezel work for him. I hesitate to give an answer, since the fabrication work is so long...and I may need the car here for fittings. People do not understand the time involved in making the bezel.