LegacyGT.com

Why do our LGT's suck so bad for re-sale?

Well, sticker was 30,500 for my car... we paid $27,000 for it... There was no incentives when we bought it.

7K in 6 months is rediculous...

Plus, why does Subaru offer such rediculous rebates in the first place? If they can't sell these vehicles WITHOUT offering that much off sticker, they need to LOWER THE DAMN PRICE of the car...

Leaves a REAL bad taste in my mouth...

You know, I feel your pain, but seriously, come on. Yes our resale isnt what you find in other manufacturers, but that should have been something you researched before you bought your LGT in the first place. Not to mention that pretty much every Honda and Toyota model flies off the car lot at a hell of a lot faster rate than our LGT. They're a more sought after vehicle because of their reputation and quality. If they didnt slash a bunch of money of the sticker in the first place a bunch of people (you and me included I am sure) would be pissed off about that. Can you imagine the firestorm around here if people paid sticker price? Geez.

I got almost $6K off the sticker for my car when I bought it, but I am prepared for a lower resale value when I go to sell it, but then again, that wont be for a while either. I agree with the previous poster, sounds like you should be looking more into leases for your next vehicle, if you're not planning on keeping it for a while.

Go Cardinals!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, why don't you check out an auto LGT? I mean if you like your LGT so much, why get out of it? Subaru does have their guaranteed trade in program right now, so you should be able to get a good value (relatively) from your dealer for now. If they can't nail down the trade in price, then it sounds like the dealer you are going to sucks.

Go Cardinals!

you are really missing the facts here: the problem is the depreciation on MOST VEHICLES in the first year.

when i traded my STI with 30K miles in year 1, i received $23,500 when the msrp was 33,000. thats close to 1/3 depreciation. guess how much you can sell the same STI now with 50K miles...24ish. and you know what, STIs hold their value very very well.

when i sold my 06 LGT with 20K miles in year 1, i lost about 6K. comparably less depreciation than my STI. if you hold your LGT, i guarantee the depreciation levels off after year 1/2.

you should have done more research. you just have to accept the responsibility that you are making a bad choice by selling in year 1 and move on. complaining is your right, but it only makes you look like a whiner.

se la vie!

First of all... I was open about the price I paid from the git-go... whats this "later admitted" like I was hiding it??? :rolleyes:

Plus, he said the HIGH guess was 19K, based on book value... so that would be $8500 ;)

And I wasn't bitching about my loss from STICKER... I said compared to sticker vs. real world value, the WRX held its value MUCH MUCH better, for much longer...

So quit putting words in my mouth, and learn how to add...

Where is theis thread going? Stop beating up on the guy. I live in L.A. and I drive into downtown to work. The traffic is not that bad. I drove 120mi to El Cajon just to get the last '05 LGT 5mt wagon and traded in my '04 WRX (I used the GTP and got more then I owed.:icon_bigg ) Like someone else said, if you can hold on to the car alittle longer you will be less upside down. You can even call out to Cali and see how much they will offer for your car out here.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I don't think anyone is beating up on the guy. But what he is crying about doesn't want for sympathy.

He bought a Turbo car at just under 30k, a car that dealers all across the country are having some issues moving of the lot because of stuff like the premium fuel thing, lack of advertising, etc etc (I work right by 5th avenue in NY, I can stand here and watch traffic for hours and not see one LGT and certainly not a stickshift one I bet). The WRX is a much more popular car by a long shot and that will translate into a better resale value and you can sell it much quicker.

He bought a stick shift which on the left and right coast are really hard to sell (I sold my sisters stickshift Mazda Protege here in NY after like 3 months to a guy only because he was taking it out of the country, he wouldnt have bought it otherwise)

Then to top it all off he wants to sell this car after a year of ownership in a market that is flooded, I mean really FLOODED, with very good used cars.

Whats done is done :( Sorry, its a tough pill to swallow :(

My advice for the future is don't buy another car with your heart. Especially if you change jobs every couple of years and/or are starting a family and/or don't own a permanent home. What I mean is if the car is the one thing you feel you will get rid off the minute something changes in your life then you need to make sure that car has all the traits that will allow you to move it when/if the time comes. In the US of A that usually means a standard (some might say boring) popular car, automatic transmission, 150-200 hp N/A engine, etc, etc. If not be prepared to lose a lot of money on the resale unless you get lucky and find some dumb schmuck to take it off your hand.

Best bet is to keep the car for another 3-4 years. Good luck.

Suabru resale sucks?

Take 10K and look for a used subaru. You'll find a billion hondas and toyotas with less miles etc. than you will a subaru. Oh and I must say that I for one am SHOCKED that your going to lose a ton of money trying to trade in a one year old car. (sarcasm). Man up and drive the manual in traffic. Or, you could just go get a honda pilot and a membership to Curves and make your transformation complete. :lol:

Sorry to bust ballz man, but come on. your getting rid of your stick because of traffic?

Best bet is to lease, mod and unmod when you are done and return to dealership.

No one has to know.

IBthewarrantyisgonnagetvoidcrowdjoinsthisthread :icon_bigg

X

Amen. I work in the car business and I'll tell you 2 reason's your trade-in value is hurting:

1. Your "Legacy" is not proceeded by "Outback"

2. Nobody know wth a LGT is, as far as a typical used car buyer cares its the same as a base... which doesn't hold value b/c of #1.

Sorry to say it but leasing is the only way to go. I will never buy a new car again. If you ahve to spend $$ on a car (and we all do) why not spend as little as possible every month?

It boils down to the very simple laws of supply and demand really. Subarus tend to be more of a niche product, and the demand on them is more specific. They also, like alot of brands, tend to drop significantly in the first year (which may be whats happening here), then they tend to hold fairly steady for any remaining years.

Although I like the fact not alot of people own them, or know how good Subarus are, it can work against you in two ways-Resale value is marginal, and their overall purchase programs tend to be a little weak because they aren't willing to subsidize like the big brands, Honda and Toyota etc.

Why do people have completely unrealistic expectations about selling a one or two year old car? Has everyone forgotten the old adage that a car loses 1/4 its value when you drive it off the showroom floor? And loses about 1/2 its value in the first three years?

What car dealer offers competitive trade-ins compared to a private sale? At Edmunds.com the trade-in price is $1,500 less than the price sale price for a LGT.

According to: https://www.alg.com/press_detail.aspx?id=61 and other sources, Subaru ranks 4th among all manufacturers in retained value. Only Toyota, Honda, and VW do better.

That said, six cylinders do better than turbos of the same price (but only by about $500 for a 2005) and automatics are a whole lot easier to sell than manuals, for the simple reason that most Americans prefer the slushpumps.

How can Subaru rank behind a VW?

yeah, i think eventually their re-sale value will go up...i have an '05 LGT w/72K and the dealer would give me $11,500 for trade-in. but again i'm also in fairfield county in Connecticut, so i might get more here than in Vegas??

I know I am in the minority here with how long I keep cars but here it goes......

I always keep a car 4 years, never do I look @ what it will be worth once selling time comes. Not saying resale means nothing to me of coarse it does. I would be willing to bet when that time comes I'll get about the same return I got out of the S4.

When purchasing cars anymore I buy them for the "fun" factor....then safety.....Looks......Ins rates......mpg......resale

I typically buy a new car and keep it for 8 years. I guess I'm really in the minority. Depreciation sucks so that's how I minimize it. If I really wanted to minimize it, I'd buy a slightly used car and do the same but I like shiny things too much.

Hopefully the next car I by will both be used AND have excellent resale value (possibly appreciate). That car will also have a flat engine.

I know I am in the minority here with how long I keep cars but here it goes......

I always keep a car 4 years, never do I look @ what it will be worth once selling time comes. Not saying resale means nothing to me of coarse it does. I would be willing to bet when that time comes I'll get about the same return I got out of the S4.

When purchasing cars anymore I buy them for the "fun" factor....then safety.....Looks......Ins rates......mpg......resale

Great write up!!!!!

Talking about a slump on resale, compare Audi to BMW and you will see a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG difference!!!!!

hehehehehe

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

It boils down to the very simple laws of supply and demand really. Subarus tend to be more of a niche product, and the demand on them is more specific. They also, like alot of brands, tend to drop significantly in the first year (which may be whats happening here), then they tend to hold fairly steady for any remaining years.

Although I like the fact not alot of people own them, or know how good Subarus are, it can work against you in two ways-Resale value is marginal, and their overall purchase programs tend to be a little weak because they aren't willing to subsidize like the big brands, Honda and Toyota etc.

Ding, ding, ding... We have a winna' Finally someone said the magic words, SUPPLY AND DEMAND! High school level economics explains what is at play.

Here in NorCal Foresters tend to hold their value really well. Why? DEMAND.

I just brought my LGT into have some parking lot rash removed, and the guy running the shop was amazed by a Subaru sedan. His remark "I just don't see a lot of these". Why? DEMAND.

Why are Legacys incentivized? OVER SUPPLY.

The moral in all this is to not flip cars every year or two and expect to get a free ride -- Remember TANSTAAFL? Cars depreciate, especially cars with little demand and over supply. Also, do your homework before you spend $25,000. Time will be on your side if you keep the vehicle for 6-8 years.

Having a new car is fun, however it is expensive and that new car buzz wears off pretty quickly.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

resale value sucks becasue the dealer raped us on the purchase.

Someone isn't paying attention. No one put a gun to your head when you bought the car. All the information is out there.

Decide in haste, regret in leisure.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

How can Subaru rank behind a VW?

don't take his word for it, read the link and interpret for yourself. It's not about private party resale values, but lease residuals which are not the same thing.

I am most likely selling my LGT, because I need an automatic. I'm moving to L.A. and I don't want to sit in stop and go traffic with a stick shift...

Anyway, I asked the dealer about trade in value on my '06 LGT with 12K miles on it.... they said 19 on the high end, 16 on the low...

Hell, even privately I probably couldn't get more than 21K for this thing... It kinda angers me...

How does a 30K sticker priced car, lose 10K in value in LESS than a year? :confused:

The "guaranteed trade-in" from SOA was around $19 and that's for an '05! I'd check and see if your dealer is participating in the program (sorry if that advice has already been posted).

I think we've all pretty much summed it up for the poor guy. That new car rush dies pretty quickly like someone said. If you can't handle it, then buy a popular car next time and do some research. If you don't like popular models then resale value within the first two years should NOT be a concern to you, this is the price of admission. You can't have both. Or you can lease as someone said above.

It has nothing to do with "educating myself" :rolleyes:

MSRP on a 2002 WRX was 25K when they came out.

5 years later, they still sell for 15K, which is 10K less than MSRP...

My LGT isn't even a year old, with 12K miles... and it's already worth 10K under MSRP...

Doesn't take an "educated" person to see the difference there...

Its mostly because the Legacy isn't mainstream, and there's no demand for them. I guess I didn't look at THAT when I bought it...

Most of the depreciation takes place in the early years. It's not linear.:icon_mrgr

Archived