LegacyGT.com

Why do our LGT's suck so bad for re-sale?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Originally Posted by WRXGuyInVegas http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

I would say it would easily outrun an LGT or 06+ WRX from a roll, but an STI would still easily beat it. Off the line, well it would have to be a game of catch-up...

Oh, and sticker was 40K with a few added options, but we picked it up for 37,500 which was VERY hard to swing. They're not sitting there for weeks at a time, like my LGT was before I bought it...

Well WRXGUY, I was on your side mostly out of a shared frustration, rather than logic, for most of this thread. But you just turned a $6500 loss into a $14,000 one to get an automatic you can drive in stop-n-go traffic. Unfortunately, your overall point is now completely moot and your credibility is kaput. Please do us a favor and save your LGT bashing for www.acuraworld.com.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

Like I said the inside of that car has nice technology, and like you said comfort...But the outside is an absolute joke IMO. If it were actually possible that I could see my farts, I bet they look more appealing.

Like I said, I am a looooooooong time Honda owner, still have an Accord. But they build probably the most unexciting line-up of cars (worth mentioning) on the road today, next to Toyota. Quality is excellent , although road noise sucks in Hondas. But they need to fire their deisgn team, because the body-styes stink. Except maybe the RL, it's not bad.

This being my first, I am officially won over by Subaru at this stage of my life. If I had to dump my Leggy today, I would go for another Subie without a second thought. TL is nice, too much flash for me, I grown to love the Subie sleeper effect. :icon_wink

acura is known for building dependable, bulletproof automatic transmissions. i'm sure its good for at least 250K miles.

I don't know if you are kidding or not...But if you look back a few years you would find infomation that would prove quite the contrary. The CL for example...Major issues. The list goes on.

Silly because it's FWD... :rolleyes:

You make such great foundation for your arguements... :lol:

It has nothing to do with the HP or which wheels pull/push it... I bought it because of how comfortable it is, the features that I WILL use all the time, and the reliability... and decent MPG, too!

"Insert Signature Here"

Dude didn't like his Legacy. Dude complains about the bath he's taking trading in a car he's had for a short time. Dude buys a new anti-Subie and is really happy.

And this thread has > 100 replies, because ? :confused:

I don't get it...

OK people, move along, there's nothing more to see here.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Haha... not a drivers car?? because of that? :rolleyes:

Yep. The instrumentation has a lot to say about what the designers' priorities were, so no, it's not a driver's car. The tach is way more important than the speedo. A speedometer is just a poor man's radar detector. The only constructive purpose it has is to tell you where you are in relation to the posted limit. Speed enforcement aside, you should know whether or not you're going too fast for conditions no matter what a gague tells you or doesn't tell you. The tach is all that matters, from a driving standpoint. Wait- it's an automatic, so it's really just eye candy. Yes, there's a "manual" shift mode, but how much control does it give you? Unless you can stall out in it, it's fake.

Still, "it's a nice, quick, entry model luxury sedan," and if you own it for a while you're probably not going to notice a dash rattle like many here complain about. You're going to enjoy yourself in it despite driving it in LA and when you can get out of LA you're going to be able to have fun in it. When you ditch it you'll be pleased with its resale.

On the subject of stupidity and gagues, WTF is there a PRNDL display on the cluster for? If you aren't absolutely sure if you're in P, R or N then you should shoot yourself. There's a chance that you might need something to remind you whether you're in D or L, but having this display handle it renders the tach not only lame, but a horrid waste of prime cluster real estate.

I'm a big fan of Honda. They make excellent cars and I loved the two that I owned. I just didn't consider them this time because I wanted AWD. This one is sweet, but it's not where I'd go. If I got dropped into one I wouldn't exactly chew my leg off to escape. Immediately, at least. It's a nice ride. Enjoy it.

Wait- do they make a wagon? Sorry... dealkiller.

What's wrong with bland styling? I wish my wagon looked even more bland than it does. That Acura looks too sporty. It might as well have a wing on it.

Dude didn't like his Legacy. Dude complains about the bath he's taking trading in a car he's had for a short time. Dude buys a new anti-Subie and is really happy.

And this thread has > 100 replies, because ? :confused:

I don't get it...

OK people, move along, there's nothing more to see here.

Wow, you're dense...

I love the LGT, and never said I didn't like it. Can any of you read? I'm selling strictly because I needed an automatic, and wanted Nav... Plus, better MPG and re-sale is always a plus... Go ahead, flame me for making a decision as a consumer in an open market... I'm not a goddamn Subaru robot, although I've loved my Subaru's for many years.

Second, I'm happy so far... after a day of ownership. Same amount of excitement I had when I bought the LGT. Who isn't "happy" when they get a brand new car?

And you say I bought the "anti Subi"??? :icon_conf Is that really what you think? It's Subaru, or nothing huh? :rolleyes: Wow, that's mature...

I see potential in all sorts of cars, and although I've had a V7 Impreza for quite some time, I always give props to other cars and manufacturers for what they are, and what they're capable of. SRT-4 is crappy, but it sure is fast, and would be a fun car to own. Does that mean I should instantly bash it all the time because I drive a Subaru? Are EVO's total crap because they're not Subaru's? Who says you have to be a loyale brand nazi?

Gimmie a break... grow up... and learn how to have some "tollerance" for other makes/models.

"Oh NOess!1!! It's FWD!! The world is coming to an end!!!"

"Insert Signature Here"

Yep. The instrumentation has a lot to say about what the designers' priorities were, so no, it's not a driver's car. The tach is way more important than the speedo. A speedometer is just a poor man's radar detector. The only constructive purpose it has is to tell you where you are in relation to the posted limit. Speed enforcement aside, you should know whether or not you're going too fast for conditions no matter what a gague tells you or doesn't tell you. The tach is all that matters, from a driving standpoint. Wait- it's an automatic, so it's really just eye candy. Yes, there's a "manual" shift mode, but how much control does it give you? Unless you can stall out in it, it's fake.

Still, "it's a nice, quick, entry model luxury sedan," and if you own it for a while you're probably not going to notice a dash rattle like many here complain about. You're going to enjoy yourself in it despite driving it in LA and when you can get out of LA you're going to be able to have fun in it. When you ditch it you'll be pleased with its resale.

On the subject of stupidity and gagues, WTF is there a PRNDL display on the cluster for? If you aren't absolutely sure if you're in P, R or N then you should shoot yourself. There's a chance that you might need something to remind you whether you're in D or L, but having this display handle it renders the tach not only lame, but a horrid waste of prime cluster real estate.

I'm a big fan of Honda. They make excellent cars and I loved the two that I owned. I just didn't consider them this time because I wanted AWD. This one is sweet, but it's not where I'd go. If I got dropped into one I wouldn't exactly chew my leg off to escape. Immediately, at least. It's a nice ride. Enjoy it.

Wait- do they make a wagon? Sorry... dealkiller.

What's wrong with bland styling? I wish my wagon looked even more bland than it does. That Acura looks too sporty. It might as well have a wing on it.

Everybody's different. Just because some people on this board don't want an Acura, and wouldn't buy an Acura... that means I shouldn't either? :rolleyes:

At least you have a level head, and acknowledge that people are different... :lol:

"Insert Signature Here"

I think zinfreak was actually defending you :hide:

Defending or not.... that's NOT what I said, and not the purpose of this thread...

I was simply curious as to why it seems to depreciate quickly COMPARED to other Subaru models... and look what happens.

"Insert Signature Here"

Look WRX Dude in Lost Wages, I was trying to support you... Seesh, lighten up, you are awfully defensive.

I don't know why this thread has generated this much interest.

You bought a Acura TL Type S and love it. Hurrah. I considered buying that car when I bought the Legacy. I just felt like keeping $10K in my bank account. It is a really damn nice car. It is just the antithesis of a Subaru, that's it.

Go enjoy your new car. Squawk 7700, contact departure on 121.5 MHz and have a really nice day. :rolleyes:

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Look WRX Dude in Lost Wages, I was trying to support you... Seesh, lighten up, you are awfully defensive.

I don't know why this thread has generated this much interest.

You bought a Acura TL Type S and love it. Hurrah. I considered buying that car when I bought the Legacy. I just felt like keeping $10K in my bank account. It is a really damn nice car. It is just the antithesis of a Subaru, that's it.

Go enjoy your new car. Squawk 7700, contact departure on 121.5 MHz and have a really nice day. :rolleyes:

SOrry for getting defensive... can you blame me?

75% of the people in here are angered that I would DARE accuse the Legacy of depreciating faster than other Subaru's...

The other 20% are pissed because I'm not getting another Subaru...

That leaves the 5% of the others that are "normal" :lol:

"Insert Signature Here"

I like your signature bosco... I've come to learn that over the years!

The hard part is finding a bone stock car that really thrills you... M3 is in my future! :lol:

the crazy thing is i have a 03 Z06 Vette that has zero mods and the LGT is modded to beat hell, go figure. maybe thats why i haven't touched it. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

So I may be faced with something a bit similar in the near future, but I'll probably take a different approach. I'll be moving to Fort Worth sometime in '07, but most likely will be working closer to (or in) Dallas. Now mind you, I won't have to do something stupid like pay half a million dollars for a barely-habitable hovel like people do in LA, so a 3rd car in the family is a viable option. If I find that I don't like dealing with rowing my own on my commute, I'll probably buy a commutermobile and keep the LGT for weekends and evenings. When I say commutermobile I'm thinking along the lines of an '02 Buick "Hit-me-I-dare-you" kinda thing. Personally I think I'll be able to deal with 5spd in traffic, but I've considered the possibility that it might suck too much to tolerate. I've only had manuals for my daily drivers for the last 25 years, but I've not had to commute far in traffic for most of that time.

What's been said (and re-said, and re-stated) about resale is all essentially correct, but I think one thing has been missed about WHY a car's resale is non-linear. People who are addicted to new-car-smell will typically take it up the butt to get that shiny new one every year or so, so the market penalizes them for their addiction.

This is why we now have 72-month (and worse!) financing plans, and why lots of people you see driving down the highway around you are WAY upside-down in their cars, and why there's a huge rip-off market in selling gap "insurance" because they'd be screwed if they had to pay that big deficit out-of-pocket if their car gets totaled.

I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT THE OP IS IN THIS STATE. In fact I have no reason to believe you have a note on the Subaru or the TL, I'm just putting forth a hypothesis about why resale is so weirdly non-linear. I think it's because of that group of buyers who will put up with it, over and over again, to buy new cars when their current ride is perfectly good.

As with anything, the more you pay, the more you get back. Spend $50,000 on a car, you'll get more back probably due to the car type/brand, spend $27,000 you'll probably get back some, but not all of what you get.

What I realized when buying my '05 is that I'm NEVER going to buy new again... EVER. Granted I got one hell of a deal on the car but still, better to find a slightly used one later on and let the first owner take the hit on deprecation the hardest.

Best of luck WRXGiV. Take what some of these guys say with a grain a salt, they (and myself) can be assholes sometimes.

If only Mr. Under the Craps Table Guy in Vegas had bought another Subaru, he would have tilted the demand - supply equation in his favor and dramatically increased the value of his Subaru.

Isn't it fitting that he wonders about low resale value when he himself refuses to buy another Subaru? :lol::lol::lol:

If only Mr. Under the Craps Table Guy in Vegas had bought another Subaru, he would have tilted the demand - supply equation in his favor and dramatically increased the value of his Subaru.

Isn't it fitting that he wonders about low resale value when he himself refuses to buy another Subaru? :lol::lol::lol:

Funny how things are more mature and respectful, until you start posting...

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/fragend/confused-smiley-013.gif

"Insert Signature Here"

I just traded mine in.

It was an 05 with 35k and I got 19,000 and paid 26k for an 04 V70r with 27k and a 3 year 70 k bumper to bumper.

Only bummer is I did not have enough time to extract the spt sysyem and my mud flaps.

the more you pay the more you lose.

True dat.

These things are machines, not collectibles. They break, are subject to wear and tear and obsolescence. The factory is making as many as they think they can sell and upgrading their models as fast as they can.

I've bought many used cars and been happy, but my LGT had to be new. I know exactly where its tach and clutch have been. I knew I'd be the one taking the depreciation hit on this car, but I was avoiding the mystery hit. I'm going to have this car for a long time and it'll be relatively worthless because of mileage then. Since I'm planning on keeping it, taking the showroom penalty myself made sense.

WRXGuyInVegas- Yes, there's been some AWD intolerance, but mainly the invective has been about math. You didn't "DARE accuse the Legacy of depreciating faster than other Subaru's [sic]," you complained "How does a 30K sticker priced car, lose 10K in value in LESS than a year?" That's what got people offended enough to pile on. You started the depreciation with your negotiation- it lost $3,000 in value before you even signed the papers. That should have been a warning about its resale value, even if not seeing any on the street didn't tell you about the size of its market. I'm not a fan of willful ignorance. I really hate to see people complain when delusions don't match reality.

Archived