LegacyGT.com

Why do our LGT's suck so bad for re-sale?

If it were me in that situation, I'd just drive the car regardless of the manual transmission.

Easy to say, harder to do.

Besides my next one will be a 6 speed spec-b! Used of course.

X

---

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I drive in Boston traffic regularly with a manual. Yeah, LA is worse but I'd deal.

Hum, I think you have me confused with someone else. My decision was not based on getting tired in traffic, or having to drive more now, it was because of other things that I posted somewhere here on this site and I am too lazy to look for it.

Still it was hard to sell the leggy to a private party, and I did not have people knocking at my door for it either, plus I had to beat the lowballers with a stick. :icon_bigg

I am happy with my decision, and I am glad that I stayed with the Subaru family.

X

---

Because most people who are into cars know that going into buying a car for X amount of money... it's not going to be worth more than what you paid for it.

I mean seriously, what do people expect... to gain equity on a car? :lol:

Ferrari Enzo. I heard one got totaled and everyone else was really happy that owns them cause the resale value jumped a ton of money more haha. I would be happy too.

So, WRXGuyInVegas is bummed-out about his resale value. He owns a 2006 LGT. He could have checked the values of used 2005 LGTs before buying. He's dissapointed that a car dealer low-balled him on a trade-in offer. He's pissed off that a Toyota has higher resale value. Oh yeah, he's upset that Subaru discounts the car and he didn't get a discount.

I've been to Las Vegas dozens of times. Although it may be a little wierd around the edges, it is part of Nevada and the United States. As such, it is part of a free market. Isn't WRXGuyInVegas' duty to educate himself to a point where he can actually function in a free market?

No, he'd rather blame everyone else. Here's a lesson for him:

If new Legacys are slow-sellers and you are ignorant about their market value, you will pay too much. Used Legacy values are influenced greatly by the market for new ones.

If you paid too much for your car when you bought it, what the hell makes you think you are now capable of negotiating a great trade-in value with that same dealer?:lol::lol::lol::lol:

It has nothing to do with "educating myself" :rolleyes:

MSRP on a 2002 WRX was 25K when they came out.

5 years later, they still sell for 15K, which is 10K less than MSRP...

My LGT isn't even a year old, with 12K miles... and it's already worth 10K under MSRP...

Doesn't take an "educated" person to see the difference there...

Its mostly because the Legacy isn't mainstream, and there's no demand for them. I guess I didn't look at THAT when I bought it...

"Insert Signature Here"

It has nothing to do with "educating myself" :rolleyes:

MSRP on a 2002 WRX was 25K when they came out.

5 years later, they still sell for 15K, which is 10K less than MSRP...

My LGT isn't even a year old, with 12K miles... and it's already worth 10K under MSRP...

Doesn't take an "educated" person to see the difference there...

Its mostly because the Legacy isn't mainstream, and there's no demand for them. I guess I didn't look at THAT when I bought it...

It has EVERYTHING to do with you. YOU paid too much for a car that "isn't mainstream." Now, YOU can't even negotiate a decent trade-in with your dealer.

It may not "take an decucated person to see the difference" between a WRX and Legacy, but you sure as heck didn't see it. All you had to do is check what what used 2005s were selling for. You could have shopped around and gotten a better price on your 2006.

You buy cars like a millionaire, then bitch about resale like someone who is broke.

It has EVERYTHING to do with you. YOU paid too much for a car that "isn't mainstream." Now, YOU can't even negotiate a decent trade-in with your dealer.

It may not "take an decucated person to see the difference" between a WRX and Legacy, but you sure as heck didn't see it. All you had to do is check what what used 2005s were selling for. You could have shopped around and gotten a better price on your 2006.

You buy cars like a millionaire, then bitch about resale like someone who is broke.

Just because I can afford to upgrade to a more expensive car, doesn't mean that I don't still hate losing money... :rolleyes:

I got the car $3500 UNDER sticker as it was... I figured that was a healthy discount, and it was at the time. We had another vehicle stolen, and were out one vehicle. I had to buy something when I did, and couldn't just sit around and wait for incentives to roll in. Plus, I hate buying used.

I saw 05's going for about 23K at the time... so I figured, okay, only 4 grand more for a brand new 06...

Why are you defending it so badly? I just stated that it depreciates REALLY fast... which is a FACTUAL statement... I just wondered why.

And there was only 1 Subaru dealer in the Valley when I bought mine... shopping around wasn't really an option unless I wanted to drive 4 hours...

I guess my biggest mistake was buying a car that is WAY overpriced, even when discounted...

"Insert Signature Here"

i dont undetstand maybe its your area, but around here 05 lgt ltds with normal milage go for 19-21k. i bought my car for 27k over 2 years ago. So thats about 6k is 2 years. not so bad.

Well, the dealer didn't have a rock solid number... they had to contact the Subaru dealership and ask them, since they've never recieved one on trade before, and didn't know what they auctioned at...

I'll find out the real numbers tomorrow... I'm obviously going to just sell privately, but I was hoping to avoid all that hassle...

"Insert Signature Here"

Leaves a REAL bad taste in my mouth...

actually, that was me. sorry bout that :lol:

on a more serious note, I sold my LGT privately through Craigslist. Took a week. I got the same percentage of the purchase price after 2yrs and 34k miles as we got on our '03 WRX wagon with 30k miles when we traded it. I think I could have gotten a bit more had I been willing to hold out, but the right price on a clean car is what moves things fast. :icon_mrgr

Interesting to read this, here in Australia Subarus are one of the best makes to hold their value.

For example the predicted retained value after 3 years for a Honda Accord is 55%. Subaru WRX is 68%. They are not yet quoting the '07 model Liberty but it is usually similar to the WRX in the high 60s.

A Porsche 911 is quoted at 62%. Nissan 350Z is 60%. Audi A4, 58%. The best Honda is the CR-V at 66%.

Check your blue book (KBB has higher numbers all around, but use the NADA book when you're buying :)). Don't compare "what I paid" to "trade in value" as those are quite different. An apples-to-apples comparison woudl be between "What you paid" and "what the dealer's next customer pays for that car." You may never know, of course. But the trade in value has been discounted to accomodate that fact that the car needs to be detailed, needs some paer work done, needs to take up space in inventory, needs to pay a sales guy to act busy when a customer shows up and takes interest, needs to pay for the lights that keep the showroom and parking lot lit at night, etc, etc. So if he grosses a couple grand on the car, he still nets peanuts.

Compare to book retail value before getting concerned.

Interesting to read this, here in Australia Subarus are one of the best makes to hold their value.

For example the predicted retained value after 3 years for a Honda Accord is 55%. Subaru WRX is 68%. They are not yet quoting the '07 model Liberty but it is usually similar to the WRX in the high 60s.

A Porsche 911 is quoted at 62%. Nissan 350Z is 60%. Audi A4, 58%. The best Honda is the CR-V at 66%.

As it turns out, "Mr Vegas" didn't even get a "solid number" for his trade-in from the dealer before he started this thread.

Further, he's angry for losing $10,000 in value, FROM THE STICKER PRICE, even though he later admitted to receiving a $3,500 discount. that would make his depreciation only $6,500.

With logic like that, I'd like to refer him to a couple of dealers I know in Southern California. I would get one hell of a finder's fee!

First of all... I was open about the price I paid from the git-go... whats this "later admitted" like I was hiding it??? :rolleyes:

Plus, he said the HIGH guess was 19K, based on book value... so that would be $8500 ;)

And I wasn't bitching about my loss from STICKER... I said compared to sticker vs. real world value, the WRX held its value MUCH MUCH better, for much longer...

So quit putting words in my mouth, and learn how to add...

"Insert Signature Here"

I know I am in the minority here with how long I keep cars but here it goes......

I always keep a car 4 years, never do I look @ what it will be worth once selling time comes. Not saying resale means nothing to me of coarse it does. I would be willing to bet when that time comes I'll get about the same return I got out of the S4.

When purchasing cars anymore I buy them for the "fun" factor....then safety.....Looks......Ins rates......mpg......resale

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

the WRX held its value MUCH MUCH better, for much longer...

I don't think this is true. Are you comparing a WRX today, or a WRX you owned before. Just because the WRX you sold two years ago retained more value (perceived anyway), doesn't mean the '06 WRX would hold more value as a percentage than your '06 WRX.

As I said before, I ran the numbers on both our '03 WRX and our '05 LGT and both retained 71%, before any corrections for inflation.

Its the rebates. Most of us didn't buy the car for 30,000 plus. Your perceived resale value should be based on what you payed. My resale value looks pretty good. I payed 22,000 for a GRP LGT 5MT Wagon, new.

GM and Ford's resale is so bad because you get 10,000 rebates most of the time.

Archived