LegacyGT.com

Daniel Stern Lighting and Subaru headlight options

f1anatic

I asked because I have seen heavy snow to the point where it was impossible to even use your regular low beams and drivers were going on just parking lights because they coud see better (This was on the interstate, coincident with an ice storm). Granted that is a rare extreme here in S.W. Pa, I really like the idea of being able to kick the low beams down to the DRL level at will, especially with the Rallye 65Watt option. TRS, how did you wire your DRL to work with the normal complement of other lights (dash and rear)on? I don't need the fogs to work by themselves, although I could have used it that night.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Member laz figured out that it's the brown wire on the white connector that people unplug to disable the DRLs that actually control them.

http://deexboy.com/albums/album25/IMG_5056.sized.jpg

Cut this brown wire.

http://deexboy.com/albums/album25/IMG_5058.sized.jpg

Extend the two ends of the cut wire and attach to your new switch. I mounted mine to the left of the steering column.

I wanted it a little further to the left so it wasn't hidden but there is a metal brace there behind the dash.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/TRS60586/Misc%20Legacy/drlswitch2.jpg

With the switch in the on position the DRLs function in the stock manner. In the off position they remain off

but your headlights will illuminate fully when turned on via the stalk switch.

My switch has an led indicator light so I tapped a circuit at the fuse box that is powered when the ignition

is in the on position and ran that to the third terminal on the switch.

Here is the thread where it was discussed...

DRL switch

When replacing the stock bulbs with the ones from DS, (H7 Ralley+65w), it is mentioned that an area on the replacement bulb needs to be trimmed.

I installed mine without trimming anything.

Did I miss an important step?

Does anyone have a picture of the part that supposedley needs to be trimmed ?

Mine seem aligned correctly.

When replacing the stock bulbs with the ones from DS, (H7 Ralley+65w), it is mentioned that an area on the replacement bulb needs to be trimmed.

I installed mine without trimming anything.

Did I miss an important step?

Does anyone have a picture of the part that supposedley needs to be trimmed ?

Mine seem aligned correctly.

Mine aligned correctly and no need to trim/cut anything.

Brack, I think you misread the original response from Daniel Stern.

If you use the new HIR series bulbs to replace the 9xxx series bulbs, you have to trim the plastic. There's some kind of strange law that makes every bulb type not interchangeable.

For the LGT high beams, the 9005 bulbs can be replaced by the 9011 bulbs but there is a small amount of trim required.

For the LGT low beams, the H7 bulbs are replaced by different H7 bulbs so no trimming is required.

I have had my ralley lows and HIR highs installed for about a month now. They really got a workout driving arround curvy mountian roads in the catskills a few weekends ago in the dead of night.

I think they are fantastic. With the lows I see no need to consider HIDs and the highs remove any need I might have had for driving lights.

Keep in mind that I replaced these bulbs before doing any night driving of consiquence with my Legacy and my point of comparison is a bugeye WRX.

I now need to upgrade the fog lights since I can't even tell they are on anymore. My main (well only) use for them is durring winter to get a better idea on road texture (is that ice, salt or snow I am driving over)

Also, trimming the HIRs took only a few mintes with a pair of wire cutter pliers.

Wasn't trimming required for the high beams if you put an H-series in the the 9000 series hole? Vice versa, or something like that, or maybe it was a different 9000 series into our lamps? I didn't buy the ones that required trimming, I know that.

Oops, ignore my ravings. Correct info already inserted by another member. Carry on.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

I'm on my spare SilverStar now (this is my first set to go out so soon), so I've placed an order for the Rally 65. :) Splurged and got the HIRs, too.

We'll see how I like the 65s - I'm very fond of the color temperature of the US-market SilverStars. We'll see if the extra light from the 65s make up for the color-temperature difference. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

You want light? Get an after market HID kit? I don't even use my fogs anymore because the beam of the HID nearly completely overrides them. All they do is add a little (ugly) yellow light to the first 5 feet in front of my car. Due to the few secons required for the HID's to charge... I choose not to upgrade to HID high beams (FYI... the 06 LGT's low beam stays on when you activate the highs so when combined with HID's... most any highs will turn night into day). I have considered several different high bulbs regardless of which because you can't have TOO much light.

^ I'm of the opinion that there are cases where, honestly, you *can* have "too much" light. This is especially the case in certain foul-weather situations, and is only magnified by non-optimized/"improper" bulb/ballast "plug-and-play" HID kits and/or a combination thereof plus higher color-temperature bulbs (typically greater than 5000K, but as "shading" varies between aftermarket makers, this is very, very hard to pin-down). And yes, overwattage halogens also can be problematic here as well.

But that aside, I also have honestly not felt the need to perform a proper complete-optics HID retrofit to the LGT simply because I feel that its halogen setup is more than sufficient for its tasks.

I only switched to the Sylvania SilverStars due to my personal preference for their color-temperature (and yes, I prefer a lower color-temperature than even the 4300K that's used on some OEM HID systems), which is slightly higher than typical halogens.

I'm making the switch to the Rally +65s simply to fill my curiosity, as well as to see if the slight bump in lighting power can be of any benefit to me, even at the risk of bumping me out of my preferred color-temperature range and with potential back-scatter glare problems in foul weather (which, for me, the previously-described DRL-power-level mod by brother TRS is *very* attractive).

There's both pros and cons to any lighting system, be it the stock halogen, slightly overwattage halogen, "incorrect"/non-optimized plug-and-play HID kits, or even full-optics HID retrofits. Don't be under the illusion that any one setup is inherently superior. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

So, to sum that up, it's "Damn'd if you do, Damn'd if you don't":lol:

Tough to make the right decision, but at least whatever decision I make will be an informed one.

I personally am on the 65w's, and will prolly try the HIR high beams when they need it. I'll see what I get(pun intended:)) before attempting any type of HID upgrade.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

So, to sum that up, it's "Damn'd if you do, Damn'd if you don't":lol:

You got that right! :lol:

There's just no easy sure-fire solution for this one - HID technology and the optics are still being refined, so there's no good way, I think, that any of us can say, with a clear conscience, that it's "perfect/the best."

And while incandescents have probably come to the end of their road, they have benefitted from years and years of engineering experience - and I think that our factory halogens are a fine example of how nice such a system can be - but they also fall short in many areas.

My very, very humble opinion is just as you've said yourself - that each of us need to make our unique, individual decisions based on well-reasoned and well-educated, well-informed purchase. We have to match what we want out of the system - and just as importantly, our own personal "sight preferences" - with the system that we choose to use, and not have any illusions about each system's shortcomings. :)

Well said TSI+WRX. I have to admit... driving in snow at night with the HID's on is like something out of a Steven King novel. I see the flakes from above, it looks really creepy... like as if I'm being attacked by a million albino bats. I did replace the OEM high beams with the cheap blue lights as the stiock were so yellow compared to the 500K HID's. The new ones (trying to mimick the 5000 Kelvin of the HID's) are really dim. I did like that in combination of the OEM highs on with the HID lows since it was like driving in the day. I'am now on the fence with upgrading to HID 3000K (YELLOW) Fogs, since the HID lows just make the OEM fogs barely visable (even on the sides). I have TOO many upgrades to worry about lights at this point. IMHO.... I love the HID's and won't own a car withouth them again.

^ You may see good results with the selective-yellow "HID fogs," then, if you're not quite happy with the way your low-beams are lighting up the snow.

In heavier/denser snowfalls, the low aim and flat/wide dispersion of the fogs should help you "see better," with less reflected glare, and the yellow should give you a bit more contrast - the HIDs used as-such will probably work to negate, somewhat, the need to drive at a snail's pace due to lack of illumination power, but simple road-conditions will have you being cautious enough and slow-enough for the reduced lighting throw. :)

Hope this combo works for you! Be sure to come back to tell us what you think! :)

^ Stock a couple of el-cheapos as backups, both in your garage as well as in your trunk. I do that - and have done that - for all of my vehicles. :)

My reasoning, bruddah, is that one can never tell when headlights may decide to crap out (both!) - it's good insurance, like carrying some spare fuses.