LegacyGT.com

Daniel Stern Lighting and Subaru headlight options

f1anatic

I ordered them late Wednesday last week and they were supposed to ship on Thursday....when I didn't get them yesterday I called to see what was up. Turns out the screw up must have been on FedEx's side. They show as being on the truck for delivery 3/3...hopefully they'll show today.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got done installing my Toshiba 9011 HIRs. Did the 65 watt H7 Osrams a few days ago (both products from ebay vendors...just over $100 total). Just waiting for it to get dark.

Its dark now. ;):lol:

I'm planning on doing the same bulb install, and look forward to your comments.

i did the Osram H7 65Watt bulbs and toshiba 9011 HIRs a few weeks ago.

To my not-so-discerning eye, the Osram H7 fills the light better than my old silverstar H7s, but not to the point where i'd say wow or even say that it is a huge difference. It is better, though.

The 9011's are impressive though, especially when out for drives at night. They do an amazing job!

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

I went with the Toshiba HIR 9011 (simple tab trim mod to fit 9005 socket) bulbs for the highs...

http://i24.ebayimg.com/03/i/02/4d/f9/07_12_s.JPG

and Philips X-treme Power H7 bulbs in the projector lows...

http://www.lighting.philips.com/europe/image_region/consumer_lighting/car_lighting/s_prod_h7_xp.jpg

While the Toshiba and Phillips are a cooler colors than the the PIAA Xtreme White Plus (4000K) highs and Xtreme Force (4700K) lows I was running, the new bulbs offer a noticeable improvement in usable light over the PIAAs.

Phillips claims up to 80% more light with the X-treme Power bulbs over standard halogens. I've been getting flashed on occassion since putting them in and I wasn't before. They're properly seated so it just must be that they are putting out a lot more light (2500 lumens @ 3700K) and the aim will need to be tweaked down just a tad.

i did the Osram H7 65Watt bulbs and toshiba 9011 HIRs a few weeks ago.

To my not-so-discerning eye, the Osram H7 fills the light better than my old silverstar H7s, but not to the point where i'd say wow or even say that it is a huge difference. It is better, though.

The 9011's are impressive though, especially when out for drives at night. They do an amazing job!

Mike

I would tend to agree with that. The lows seem to have a better fill but not so much brighter that I was wowed, but eh HIR's are a different story. Those are immediately noticable. They are making street signs pop up at least 50% further than before. I would defiantely get the HIR's again, not sure on the H7's. I guess if they last a while I would consider it, but if they blow like stockers then I will look for a cheaper alternative.

^ Add me to this list, too.

I *can* notice the difference with the 65-watters, but it's not "day and night." It is definitely "better," as y'all have said.

I do have to say, though, that I honestly prefer them enough for me to permanently give-up the SilverStars (and everyone here knows how much I love my SilverStars - this is a true statement, BTW). :) I just wish they were a bit "whiter," but that's my personal-preference.

If someone were to ask me whether to get them, I'd still say the same - they're worth a try, especially compared against the expense of the SilverStars.

The HIRs, though, are just simply amazing.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 5 months later...
Speaking of "more light" - any suggestions for beefing up output of reverse lamps (in wagon)? These are pretty dark. I am gonna replace one of them with a fog lamp, so it will be twice as bad (just one lamp).

Contact Daniel Stern regarding these. He hooked me up with brighter backup bulbs for my Audi wagon. I aslo bought those bulbs you mod for my front projectors in the Audi. They were a big improvement. He is definitely the lighting guru.

Contact Daniel Stern regarding these. He hooked me up with brighter backup bulbs for my Audi wagon. I aslo bought those bulbs you mod for my front projectors in the Audi. They were a big improvement. He is definitely the lighting guru.

I contacted him a while ago and he said there are no replacements currently available.

I'm looking for some aftermarket foglight bulb replacement. I am actually happy with the amount of light put out, however, in adverse conditions, I personally think they make little difference.

Has anyone replaced their stock with something aftermarket? What's the solution? Would yellow lights offer better contrast and thus better performance? I don't want to go HID, although I do have HIDS for my low-beams.

I got some Narva Golds from him in the past. I love them.

I very rarely use my fogs, and when I do, I'm the kind of person (with the kind of eyes) who likes the extra yellow they cast. It helps me with depth and edge perception, which, during our occasional snowstorms and the once-in-a-blue-moon dense-fog situation, I find to be really helpful.

It also helps to bring some contrast to the salt/treatment-covered roadways we get here in NE-Ohio.

But honestly, this is something that's truly going to be different when you talk to different people. This is a very personal issue, and what you perceive to be of-benefit and worth the absolute brightness tradeoff may not be so for another person.

Also, try aiming your factory fogs a bit differently. As-is, if they're right-on for factory aim, they're truly only suited for DENSE fog. Slightly raising them can preserve much - if not all - of their foul-weather capability while getting a bit more throw down-road. This, also, is going to be a personal preference issue, and you'll also have to experiment quite a bit to get this just right.

Others here have also had great experience with the PIAA Ions.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Thanks for the info.

Well then, since I am happy with the stock amount of light but I want yellow, maybe I should ask are the narva golds and hella comparable to stock but just yellow? Which to get between the two? The PIAA are a bit spendy imo.

As far as aiming the factory fogs, can this be done as you would aim a headlight, or just fiddling with the bulb?

I can't give a good assessment in terms of comparing the Narvas with the Hellas or PIAAs. I've only had experience with the first and the last, and I honestly didn't think either one particularly "stood-out" over the other in any way, positive or negative.

This may be just due to my eyes, or, alternatively, could be due to my truly limited use of the fogs.

As for aim, yes, once you pop the "surround" off, you'll see a long-stemmed adjustment screw. Turning that will raise and lower aim. :) Easy as pie. :)

Here's what Daniel Stern had to say about Hella and Narva Gold

Narva Gold bulbs have been out of production for years. They were functionally identical to Tungsram Gold and Philips Gold.

Hella don't make bulbs, they buy, label, box and sell them. Quality has been mediocre since they started shopping Korea and China for bulbs after many years of selling only European bulbs.

He recommended I get these

http://store.candlepower.com/tugoseyeh355.html

Which I am ordering as we speak.

Price is per bulb, not pair.

Hey Fishbone, what do you actually want ? Bertter contrast and visibility during inclement weather ? Gotta go yellow for that - replace the "fog lights" and maybe even re-align them to further light up the road ahead (as much as possible)

Your GT got low beam HIDs ? We do not have that as OEM; just some phillips bulbs. But people have installed with great success...and the latest STIs have pretty much same hgeadlights and HIDs.

That being said, i sport OSRAM Rally +65W bulbs and I am pretty happy with them: I avoid the HID shine in wet yet I see farther up the road and more lumens on the asphalt...

Yes, better contrast and visibility and thus I've ordered what Daniel has recommended.

The Apexcone HID is on it's way, should be here tomorrow.

Wait, the STis come with HIDs stock? They have the same projector headlamps as LGTs?

fishbone - Thanks for the info. on the Narvas, and their replacements! :)