LegacyGT.com

Daniel Stern Lighting and Subaru headlight options

f1anatic

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking of doing all three myself. I think the lows on the car a pretty damn good but since I have been driving to and from work in the dark and since I drive mainly on rural roads I would like a bit more illumination. So I think I'll end up doing the lows and highs for sure.

I am thinking of doing all three myself. I think the lows on the car a pretty damn good but since I have been driving to and from work in the dark and since I drive mainly on rural roads I would like a bit more illumination. So I think I'll end up doing the lows and highs for sure.

^ If you do a lot of lone rural-road (no roadside illumination, only rare oncoming traffic, etc.) driving, you may be better-served with a set of auxiliary driving-lights (true "driving" pattern).

Aimed properly to supplement your high beams, this will help give the "penetration" that you need for distance, at-speed.

My current problem is that I honestly don't know where to mount mine, in a fashion that would both be aesthetically acceptable to me and, of course, provide the proper co-alignment with my highs.....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

My current problem is that I honestly don't know where to mount mine, in a fashion that would both be aesthetically acceptable to me and, of course, provide the proper co-alignment with my highs.....

Baja FTW...:lol:

Baja.jpg.031fda78d5758f1e6677641cb8088fcd.jpg

It is still ugly.

^ If you do a lot of lone rural-road (no roadside illumination, only rare oncoming traffic, etc.) driving, you may be better-served with a set of auxiliary driving-lights (true "driving" pattern).

Aimed properly to supplement your high beams, this will help give the "penetration" that you need for distance, at-speed.

I am in the same boat, I realize lights designed for the task would be far superior but I like things to look clean and I don't think there is anywhere to mount them. So that brings me back to upgrading the stock bulbs.

^ My two brothers above....

:lol: @ Baja suggestion. :) Not that I don't like that vehicle - I actually really love that styling. More so that I'm laughing at just the sheer possibility of its lighting-power "potential."

And definitely fatbastard, bro, I feel your pain. I sometimes think it would have been smarter had I gone with an Outback (or, of course, the Baja), considering my taste for shiny and bright thingies, and how much more aesthetically pleasing a light-bar would have looked on that vehicle, versus my "lowered-and-riced" ;) LGT.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^

I would replace the current fogs with the lights of your choice as I don't feel the stock fogs are terrribly adequate.

^ That's my issue, too, SuperhawkLGT. :(

I am of the opinion that our stock fogs, particularly if re-aimed just a slight bit higher (note, though, that my ride-height is also lower than stock), actually does a very good job for its intended purpose (i.e. strictly fog and foul-weather, lower-speed, use; as well as to better delineate road lane markings and curbs after they're dirtied by snow/slush). As such, I'm very hesitant to replace them.

Furthermore, due to their physical location, their replacement with a true driving-pattern light set will not provide ideal co-alignment with the high-beams.

Like fatbastard, I would like to retain the fog/foul-weather utility of our stock fogs, while supplementing overall "penetration."

I'd be tempted to try stacking a set of fogs and driving lights into a bumper with more open space on the sides, like the Liberal Albero, K2 Riez, or Gialla bumper covers... but that is an expensive proposition for re-styling and configuring the whole front end...

But it would be nice to have a pair of round fogs, and another pair of round driving lights, even HID ones... Maybe even something like Hella DE units, or Narva round fixtures. Fogs on the foglight switch for parking and low beams, and driving lights on a separate switch with the high-beams, or even independent from the rest of the lighting altogether.

Otherwise there is precious little real estate on the front of the Legacy, without getting into blocking the grille or lower intake for cooling. Not even really that much on the Outback, either, just a bigger round hole on each side.

• 4 weeks later...
Waht about using the 65Watt low beams in fog or heavy snow? I have a concern the brighter lights would be too bright (like using high beams) . Anyone have a comment on this? I would not want to spend $50 or so on low beams and find I can't see as well in fog or snow because of light bouncing back at me..

Waht about using the 65Watt low beams in fog or heavy snow? I have a concern the brighter lights would be too bright (like using high beams) . Anyone have a comment on this? I would not want to spend $50 or so on low beams and find I can't see as well in fog or snow because of light bouncing back at me..

So far, so good. I've got the 65watt lows and the yellow Tungsram fogs. I haven't felt they were blindingly bright in fog or snow yet. It should get even better this weekend when I install my Swift springs and the wagon sits more level:)

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

I've done the mod that allows the fogs to operate independently, and also placed a switch on the DRLs so I can choose when to have them on.

I've found that for really dense fog or heavy snow at night, I get the best visibility by turning on the parking lights, turning on my DRLs with my installed rocker switch, and turning on the fog lights (full headlights don't have to be on for the fogs to operate with the mod, or any lights for that matter). This results in the tail and all marker lights being illuminated, the low beams (using PIAA Xtreme White Plus) on at the reduced DRL level for forward light without a lot of backscatter (and identification by oncoming/cross-traffic), plus my fogs (using PIAA Ion Crystal) down low providing excellent foreground illumination.

Nice thread ... soo this just putting in better H7 bulbs is a good alternative to HID's?

I think so. I really don't have much experience with real HID's(OEM type), but for my money, I am satisfied with upgraded bulbs.

I can't be certain that retrofitting HID's isn't more than just eye bling. You get the cool colors of the different Kelvin temps, but with out the aiming/leveling of a factory setup, I'm not so sure how effective they will be. I know that putting the 65w Ralleye bulbs into my factory projectors is putting out more then the stock bulbs. Not bad for the price and extended longevity over factory.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

I think so. I really don't have much experience with real HID's(OEM type), but for my money, I am satisfied with upgraded bulbs.

I can't be certain that retrofitting HID's isn't more than just eye bling. You get the cool colors of the different Kelvin temps, but with out the aiming/leveling of a factory setup, I'm not so sure how effective they will be. I know that putting the 65w Ralleye bulbs into my factory projectors is putting out more then the stock bulbs. Not bad for the price and extended longevity over factory.

How much of the light is usable?

Does it just project farther or is it have a greater brightness to it?

I wouldn't mind a brighter lamps, but i don't want to lose my DRL feature ... thus HID's are not exactly an option for me.

I love my car ... basically.

I've done the mod that allows the fogs to operate independently, and also placed a switch on the DRLs so I can choose when to have them on.

I've found that for really dense fog or heavy snow at night, I get the best visibility by turning on the parking lights, turning on my DRLs with my installed rocker switch, and turning on the fog lights (full headlights don't have to be on for the fogs to operate with the mod, or any lights for that matter). This results in the tail and all marker lights being illuminated, the low beams (using PIAA Xtreme White Plus) on at the reduced DRL level for forward light without a lot of backscatter (and identification by oncoming/cross-traffic), plus my fogs (using PIAA Ion Crystal) down low providing excellent foreground illumination.

So you are running a white and yellow combination? I was thinking about this and thought it might look pretty cool.

I love my car ... basically.

There is about 30% more useable light from the Osram Rally bulbs. For real. I do not need my fogs no more...but will not upgreade those bulbs till one dies...to yellows of course. They do throw light farther and put more to the ground. They are rated + 700 lumens over the OEM

To me, they were worth the money.

There is about 30% more useable light from the Osram Rally bulbs. For real. I do not need my fogs no more...but will not upgreade those bulbs till one dies...to yellows of course. They do throw light farther and put more to the ground. They are rated + 700 lumens over the OEM

To me, they were worth the money.

Yup, same impression of performance here. I did the yellow fogs at the same time 'cause I had the money to do it then.

You should be OK - certainly, the amount of light output is one concern, but another concern, which may be just as problematic, if not more so, is *how* that light is put out. Your low-beams are "cut" differently from your highs, and that alone should keep you, as well as your fellow motorists, out of the worst of the glare.

^ Great thought! I ought to give that a try! :)