LegacyGT.com

Street Tuner/Access Tuner Race Discussion Thread

rao

Christian won't and shouldn't advocate modding a ST base map with OS software.

Everyone does it though, kinda like booze and drugs.;)

I know you Ted, you wil analyze your whole tune in time, and you will never fit it all on a base map, especially when you change things like your failsafe map and such.

Just Do-it, I have yet to hear of problem. I have done it at least 40 times, much quicker if you are tuning tip-in or something like that.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome, thanks!

So why can't I set the new top speed above 186 like you have it?

Also, does knock detection range high/low give overall area where the ECU is looking (1000-7200)? Or does it only look from 7000-7200 and 1000-1050 only?

The car cannot do above 186, so we saw no point. Most settings similar to what you are describing above work like this, Start at 1050 and stop after RPM has dropped below 1000; go up to 7000 and deactivate above 7200. Make sense?

Christian.

Nothing happens when I click on "datalog", is this because I have street tuner standard? Note: using AP or OpenPort.

Also it seems that live tuning does not work with OpenPort 1.3, 2.2.4.0 6/27/2007. Locks up the system hard after 15-100 seconds with live tracing on :(

• 2 weeks later...
Is there anyway to make the live tracing leave a trail?

This would be immensely useful. Right now it's log, import data into excel, interpolate timing map, compare, adjust corresponding cells on ST, retry.

How many degrees of timing do you guys pull for spool? Unfortunately my spool region intersects with highway economy, anyone work around this?

Also - has anyone else found issues with the throttle axis on boost targets? I have a weird incident where TD did not activate even though the conditions were met, past TD threshold, past throttle, in the right rpm row. Took going to ~78% throttle for TD to kick in. Of course my boost control strategy is unique.

This is after pulling 5 degrees. Need more spool! (Many parts of this map are not fully tuned.)

-5deg.PNG.8f302cabd9b94674e1a65eb2847153a8.PNG

avo380.pdf

How does pulling timing improve spool time? I've never heard this before. I've heard running lean works but nothing about timing.
I would not suggest this strategy, due to it leading to premature turbo failure. I would suggest running the engine like a well tuned N/A engine until it gets into boost, this means running it lean and with increased ignition advance. After all, the engine is operating just like an N/A engine that has some slight back-pressure (from the turbo).

Is there anyway to make the live tracing leave a trail?
This is called footprinting, and this is something we are looking to implement on the next version of AccessTUNER Race.

Take care,

Christian.

I would not suggest this strategy, due to it leading to premature turbo failure. I would suggest running the engine like a well tuned N/A engine until it gets into boost, this means running it lean and with increased ignition advance. After all, the engine is operating just like an N/A engine that has some slight back-pressure (from the turbo).

This is called footprinting, and this is something we are looking to implement on the next version of AccessTUNER Race.

Take care,

Christian.

Is this bearing failure from compressor surge? I've had a tough time getting close to the surgeline on the avo380. I know the stock turbo will get there with just AVCS.

Also how lean is lean? I haven't gotten anything noticeable by going from 12's to 13's, other than fuel economy. The timing changes had the most significant effect.

• 3 weeks later...
Alright guys. I got my ST-A Monday(tiny box for $400:lol:) and I think my tranny is going to survive the summer, so I'll be starting my tune here shortly. Just fair warning, be prepared for questions.
Let's kick this pig!

Alright guys. I got my ST-A Monday(tiny box for $400:lol:) and I think my tranny is going to survive the summer, so I'll be starting my tune here shortly. Just fair warning, be prepared for questions.

Get familiar with all the different sites with tuning forums. Cobbforums, Nasioc tuning section and even RomRaider. This will help you greatly when starting off and even later on.

I've been reading every online manual and .pdf's I can find for the last month. It's all soaking in and I think I've got a grip on the material coverd in the Cobb Calibration manual.

Quick question. I haven't tried to install yet and I understand the un-marry AP, marry PC to AP, then marry AP to car bit. My question is. When I install ST-A does it want to marry to the AP and the car immediatly or can I install, tweak a map for injectors and then marry things up?

Let's kick this pig!

Get familiar with all the different sites with tuning forums. Cobbforums, Nasioc tuning section and even RomRaider. This will help you greatly when starting off and even later on.

^^^ in a nutshell.

Plus, be very cautious. Do everything in small, measured, steps.... then log log log.

Cool. I'm in mo big hurry to get back to the track, so I'll take my time and stay conservative when making adjustments. I just want to get the stock turbo and my current setup dialed in for now. Then I'll tackle tuning the 20g later this summer.

I'm sure it will all come together once I get ST-A installed and I can actually check the software out. I dumped my current ROM(well part of it) using ECUflash and I've been looking at it in RomRaider so I have an idea of what to expect.

Let's kick this pig!

Quick question. I haven't tried to install yet and I understand the un-marry AP, marry PC to AP, then marry AP to car bit. My question is. When I install ST-A does it want to marry to the AP and the car immediatly or can I install, tweak a map for injectors and then marry things up?

The Cobb directions are pretty clear...I believe it's (just download the pdf): unmarry the AP, load ST on computer, load ST on AP (it MUST be unmarried...ask me how I know...), load an ST base map using map manager, marry AP (with ST) to vehicle using ST base map. Go forth and tune.

The Cobb directions are pretty clear...I believe it's (just download the pdf): unmarry the AP, load ST on computer, load ST on AP (it MUST be unmarried...ask me how I know...), load an ST base map using map manager, marry AP (with ST) to vehicle using ST base map. Go forth and tune.

If you have other than stock injectors or an aftermarket BCS, for example, I suggest that after all the unmarrying and remarrying is done, that the base map you first install have those items tuned for. I used Cobb's Stage2 93 1.16 as a base and modified its BASE MAP tables for those parts. Since I have TGV deletes, and CEL codes can only be turned off or on in the base map, I had to accommodate those as well.

In addition, review each and every BM table. Some will need a tweak, most will be fine. Because flashing a base map is more complicated and time consuming (as well as potentially dangerous), I try to make sure my base map is as complete as possible.

Almost all the 'tuning' you'll do will be done using Real Time maps, wonderfully accomplished with Cobb's real time tuning. You will almost certainly have to have, therefore, a Real Time map to accompany that Base Map you first install. Thereafter each tuning session with ST will end with the RT map that is in ST on your laptop, in your car's ECU as well. I tend to save these day-to-day changes in uniquely named RT maps so I don't inadvertantly lose them (I have countless maps saved in folders after a year now :))

Take your time, get the Base Map right, and you'll find tuning fun, addictive, and a satisfying last step in your control over your car.

That's kinda what I was wondering. I have DW740's installed and running at the moment, but with a TDC map. Will ST give me a chance to edit injector scaling on the basemap BEFORE it forces me to load the basemap to the AP and the car?
Let's kick this pig!

That's kinda what I was wondering. I have DW740's installed and running at the moment, but with a TDC map. Will ST give me a chance to edit injector scaling on the basemap BEFORE it forces me to load the basemap to the AP and the car?

You can load a stock map to your car and use the RomRaider to scale your MAF and Injector w/latency.

O.K. I was wondering if I would have to load a map and then pull it back off and make adjustments and re-flash. In all the literature it says to load a Cobb map, start the car and then make the adjustments. They say it might run rough, but too deal with it. I don't think the car will even start on a stock map and 740's. Would it? Could I just make the scaling changes (in realtime) while the key is in the "ON" position and then start the car and dial things in?

Sorry guys, I just want to have a game plan before I start this process.

Let's kick this pig!

Well if you have had your injectors flow tested, use that number for the scaling. You can search around and there should be plenty of places that have the latency posted then just go from there. I also reccommend taking the AEM intake off and going back to the stock box until you have your injectors dialed in.