LegacyGT.com

Any interest in black Delrin shift knob ???

CasopoliS

I am considering designing my own shift knob, made of black Delrin. Delrin is a light material and the weight would be close to the Momo leather knob. Delrin stands up to the hot summers and cold winters without killing your hand.

As you all know, I love to design things, and quality would be top notch. It would be solid Delrin, with shape and dimensions close to the Momo round knob. It would have a lip on it, just like the stock knob, so the shift boot stays in place. I have not even investegated pricing on manufactering these, and it might cost too much for low volume... so before I even get started I wanted to see what the interest was out there for something like this.

Thanks.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this would be something that would interest me. Cosidering that i am going to be purchasing an STS in the future i like things that are different. Not only that but contributing to somone on the board especially a fellow ohian.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

I'd be interested. It'd be sweet if you could incorporate some type of inlay on the top, whether it be a stealth 'STI' cut in, or silver stars to match the Subie logo. You may be stepping on trademark toes though.

just like your avatar. You pick what you like right? Well i like writing in bold. its no disrespect or anything like that. I just like writing in bold. always have always will.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

i have the JDM legacy sti knob on my wagon and it seems to be made of delrin or other hard plastic. its very tough and doesn't get overly hot or cold. i really like it and prefer it over the subaru momo knob, although a little more weight would have been even better. the momo is also a tad bit large for my tastes.

any type of plastic is far better than solid aluminum, especially black aluminum on a 90+ degree, sunny day...OUCH:eek:

here is a pic of my knob:

http://www.hkc-speed.com/images/uploads/img_0399.jpg

if it's a small batch (like on this site, only) i'm sure you will never be tagged for the infringement. maybe you can make a special edition "with" and a more widely distributed "without" version.

I'd be interested. It'd be sweet if you could incorporate some type of inlay on the top, whether it be a stealth 'STI' cut in, or silver stars to match the Subie logo. You may be stepping on trademark toes though.

Hey Rich!! 0/2, eh? :lol:

It would have a lip on it, just like the stock knob, so the shift boot stays in place.

I have a black Delrin shift knob. It's from STI. I wouldn't mind another design...this one looks a bit phallic. :eek:

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/images/300_leg_sti_knob_001.jpg

lol reading is def. > than rclark

To keep costs down it would probably have to be a simple design, no stars or anything. That is what sucks. Just a round 'ol knob. Unless someone can find me the dimension of standard 'jewels' like how Kartboy has a few to choost from. I would just have to find jewels everyone likes. Or wait... I could get expensive and make my own.

yes it will screw on.

I wouldn't mind a round design, just don't make it big like the Momo. The UK Solberg knob is better....just make it round, but without the lower visible extension.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/fastwrx_1910_173949871

Dismissive tone acknowledged... good luck with your project

edit: perhaps the grade 150 delrin would be less lubricious

We machine with Delrin here and do not experinece puddles. I DO understand the lubricating property, hence why it is used primarily in valves and things of the sort.

I luaghed just because it sounded like your Delrin was 'making messes' wherever you put it... kind of like when I set my puppy somewhere... a puddle would appear. he is older now thank god. I completely understand your concern and thank you for bringing that up. Maybe there are different types? I have Delrin here that has been sitting for a while. No KY has formed yet....

The thing I need to figure out is the threading.... I don't know how strong the threads would hold up in Delrin... and how tight they would hold (it is slippery). I am almost certain a press fit metal piece that is threaded would be needed here.... adding more cost. And it better be a darn good press fit.

Still don't know how to search for the shift jewels for the top....

We machine with Delrin here and do not experinece puddles. I DO understand the lubricating property, hence why it is used primarily in valves and things of the sort.

I luaghed just because it sounded like your Delrin was 'making messes' wherever you put it... kind of like when I set my puppy somewhere... a puddle would appear. he is older now thank god. I completely understand your concern and thank you for bringing that up. Maybe there are different types? I have Delrin here that has been sitting for a while. No KY has formed yet....

Gotcha, sounds like we have very similar jobs... are you a mech. eng.? I found that the delrin we machine is the 100 delrin, the 150 is glass filled and stronger... also much less puddle-y...

Archived